User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: night portrait 7D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

night portrait 7D

I seem to recall my once owned 40D had a night portrait mode amongst the automatic settings which employed some flash and a bit of longer exposure to include some of the b/g if desired

My 7D doesnt have this Mode & others
    I was wondering, Is it possible to achieve the same settings on this camera as it would in night portrait mode on the 40D
    any thoughts ?

Cheers
    Bryan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely is

You could use aperture priority, which will no doubt lead to a fairly long shutter speed and create an almost daylight feel to the image.

To control the exact amount of ambient light you want in your image, your best bet would be to use manual and set a shutter speed and aperture to suit that result and then let the flash fill in the subject, the flash can over power your subject in this instance so you may find you need to dial in -2/3 -> -1 stop FEC.

I would suggest setting the flash to second curtain sync in both of the above scenarios

The other way is to get the flash off the camera and do the whole lot in manual
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MC

I figured that I might have to do some experimenting, I guess thats the fun of it
    I thought there might have been a way to do it in CA mode,

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would prefer program mode for portraits which gives you control of the ISO by changing the ISO the AV and shutter speed is automatically calculated...try this out...
    Dwarak Calayampundi

Canon 5D Mark II, 7 D Lens Canon 24-105mm L Canon 16-35mm II L Canon 100mm Sigma 10-20mm Canon 50mm 1.8
    http://www.wix.com/dwarak/landscapes