User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Canons 70-200 f3.5-5.6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canons 70-200 f3.5-5.6

Anyone have any comments good or bad regarding this kit lens??..
    Cheers
    We didnt inherit this land, we merely borrow it from our Children

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely you mean either the 75-300 or 55-250 ?

Canon don't make a 70-200 kit lens, and moreover, none of their 70-200's are variable aperture.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The smallest Canon 70-200 is f4, think you have the wrong model, the 75-300 is fair but a long way from the performance of the 70-200f4 USM
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Embarrased..My appologies i did mean to write 18-200.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best site for lens reviews:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

They get a reasonable review, good bang for your buck IMO.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers n Kindly appreciated.Did go have a squizz at that site and read up on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I don't like it. I get better results from my 18-135. Got mine as part of a kit but now it just sits in the bag adding weight.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been reading through variouse threads and appears that the 18-135 is favoured over the 18-200.
    Mind you i havent had a play with this lens whereas i did have a playaround with the 18-200 some time back in a Hardly Norman Store and with the amount of light they have in their stores the 18-200 seemed to performm quite well for a kit lens.Did not take it outdoors for a testrun.
    Borrowed a card from the Daughters Nikon to take the samples home and squizz em in Photoshop.
    One of the Daughters friends was/is looking at a 7D hence my query here for her regarding the abovementioned Lens, and will pass on the advice given to me.
    Cheers

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I've yet to find an 18-200 that was any good in a real sense. They are a massive compromise due to the huge range of focal length in a single lens. Typically soft at both ends with some interesting barrel or pincushion distortions at different focal lengths and horribly slow apertures.

However, having thoroughly bagged them, they are:

a) light weight
    b) one size fits all - that is, you could get away with just this one lens
    c) adequate, if all you want to take are happy snaps

I don't want to appear overly negative, but I'm having trouble finding positives. The beauty of the SLR system is that you can change lenses to suit your needs - embrace it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a look at a 18-200mm last week and the first thing the salesman pointed out was the lens wants to extend by itself under its own weight if held in a downwards vertical position. Something that would really bug me and also risk damaging the lens on something. Wasn't overly impressed with the images from it either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never used this lens but I find www.dpreview.com to be handy
    |Gear|Canon 5D MkII + Grip |Canon 7D + Grip |Canon 580EXII x 3|Canon EF Fisheye 15mm F/2.8 |Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L Mk II | |Canon EF 400mm F/5.6L |Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS |Canon EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS |Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro |Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 MK II |Sekonic L-358 Lightmeter |Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod + 322RC2 Head |Manfrotto 628B Monopod | Wireless Remote Flash Trigger PT-04 CN & 5 Receivers| Plus Too Much More (Filters Ect)
    Chris | http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119829358036800 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisprendergast |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crum View Post
    I had a look at a 18-200mm last week and the first thing the salesman pointed out was the lens wants to extend by itself under its own weight if held in a downwards vertical position. Something that would really bug me and also risk damaging the lens on something. Wasn't overly impressed with the images from it either
    Yes, I read this lens suffers from "lens creep" so I disregarded purchasing one...could be a pain in the you know what
    Imagine a world without photography... one could only imagine. - Berenice Abbott

I Shoot Canon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one and like it.

First of all there is a clip on the bottom to stop it sliding out when in the vertical position.

As for lens creep, i haven't found a problem generally if it on a tripod it's at 18mm for a landscape, or you have it hand held are zooming. i.e i don't find myself leaving it on a tripod at 150mm.

As for performance, have a look at my Flickr Set and the 90% of photos were taken with this lens and the 450D (the really wide ones are either panos, or taken with the 10-22)

I do agree with Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by DAdeGroot View Post
    a) light weight
    b) one size fits all - that is, you could get away with just this one lens
    c) adequate, if all you want to take are happy snaps
    Yes there is expensive glass available but it depends on what/how you take photos of. I decided i wanted an "general purpose" lens to take overseas and the idea of having the complete kit when backpacking didn't seam like a good idea.

I used to work in a $2 shop and he got Chocolate bunnies in at Easter time, there were all ways a few broken ones, which we ate and thought this is good chocolate. Then for lunch i went to Coles and got some Cadbury Eggs, they made the bunnies un edible. Camera lens are much the same, this one is good until you get the "L" bug.

It all depends on what your take photos of and who they are for.
    Peter
    An engineers with a canon willing to shoot anything once!
    https://www.facebook.com/SneddonPhotography
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never quite understood Canon's philosophy on supplying "kit" lenses which, generally speaking, are absolutely rubbish! It must surely deter new photographers from buying more Canon lenses or they would at least think twice about it. When asked by friends for my advice on new cameras which come with "kit" lenses, I advise them to try to negotiate a price without the kit lenses and spend more money on good lenses which won't end up on EBay in a couple of months! Looking for a second hand L lens is a far better buy than a new kit lens.

Sheila

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila Smart View Post
    I have never quite understood Canon's philosophy on supplying "kit" lenses which, generally speaking, are absolutely rubbish!
    Sheila
    Sheila,, I see Canon's logic by marketing their lower end DSLRs (xxD series) with a kit lens.. You'll find most people by these cameras, who want a no frills DSLR camera.. They are happy to shoot little Janie's birthday party or their friends around the barbie using this gear.. These people will very rarely go beyond the green box stage..

I'll bet you worldwide, more cameras are used with the kit lens and green box mode than anyother..
    Jurgen
    Canon 50D~20D~G11

http://www.pbase.com/jurgentreue