User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: one/two flash portraits

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    23 Nov 2009
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    one/two flash portraits

    Hi, My sister might be coming up on this weekend (if not soon after) so her boyfriend can tile our kitchen and so i've decided since she has some time to spare, i'd pop up the background backdrop in the livingroom and she can be my subject (she got the looks, i got a love of photography hehe).
    I have 2 flashes, ( got my 2nd a couple hours ago) i have an umbrella shoot thru.
    i figgure when using the white side of the backdrop i will use one flash on the background to blow it out and the other with the umbrella on my sister... i'll have two flashes to aim at my sister when using the black side so... i wonder if anyone could post a one/two flash portrait and how they did it?
    the move ideas i have about lighting before "the shoot" the better
    thanks from Casey.

  2. #2
    Other side of the hill ... WhoDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Jun 2010
    Location
    Lake Macquarie
    Posts
    4,880
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Studio lighting

    Here are a couple of YouTube video tutorials on lighting.

    1. Single light setup

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDuwv...eature=related

    3. Classic 3-light setup

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8mh...layer_embedded

    I found these very helpful, especially about substituting reflector cards for lights and using blackout screens to block off unwanted light. There is a whole series on outdoor portraiture, too, which might get the creative juices flowing!

    I hope these help you, too!
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 | D7000 | Nikkor AF-S 18-55 DX 1:3.5-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 55-300 DX 1:4.5-5.6 G ED | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...
    My Flickr images ...

  3. #3
    Fuji Fanatic
    Join Date
    20 Mar 2008
    Location
    Glenorchy
    Posts
    4,040
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent videos tutorials, thanks for the link.
    Odille

    “Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

    My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

  4. #4
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    23 Nov 2009
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDo View Post
    Here are a couple of YouTube video tutorials on lighting.

    1. Single light setup

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDuwv...eature=related

    3. Classic 3-light setup

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8mh...layer_embedded

    I found these very helpful, especially about substituting reflector cards for lights and using blackout screens to block off unwanted light. There is a whole series on outdoor portraiture, too, which might get the creative juices flowing!

    I hope these help you, too!
    Hey, thanks
    i really liked the one light one, i looked at some of their other videos and learned about different lighting styles like butterfly ect...thanks so much!
    from Casey.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    11 Feb 2010
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What color is your sisters hair?
    A dark background using one flash for a rim/hair light might work better.
    I don't know that one flash would be enough to blow the background out to white.
    Use a reflector for fill (a large piece of white card or a windscreen reflector will work if you don't have one in your kit)
    Remember to keep a good distance from the background and if your lens is sharp wide open work with an f/stop starting from around f4 and up to f8. Play with them and see what you like.
    Remember to focus on the eye closest to you so single point focusing is best.
    Have fun.

  6. #6
    Member dtrang's Avatar
    Join Date
    25 Apr 2010
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the links

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    13 Dec 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,051
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here another idea ... Why not do it outside with a nice green backdrop like trees in a park or something, use 1 flash and and your umbrella for key light and the other flash as a hard hair/rim light ?? You can get some great results with this simple setup.
    Hi Im Darren

    www.darrengrayphotography.com

    SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk


  8. #8
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    23 Nov 2009
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamblinR View Post
    What color is your sisters hair?
    A dark background using one flash for a rim/hair light might work better.
    I don't know that one flash would be enough to blow the background out to white.
    Use a reflector for fill (a large piece of white card or a windscreen reflector will work if you don't have one in your kit)
    Remember to keep a good distance from the background and if your lens is sharp wide open work with an f/stop starting from around f4 and up to f8. Play with them and see what you like.
    Remember to focus on the eye closest to you so single point focusing is best.
    Have fun.
    Hi, thankyou, her hair is blonde.
    oh ok right maybe i should use the black side of the background then...how does someone do "hairlight" with out a defuser for that flash?....i have a 5in1 reflecter with the base being defuser could i have some one hold that infront on the hair light?
    thanks again from casey.

  9. #9
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    23 Nov 2009
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    Here another idea ... Why not do it outside with a nice green backdrop like trees in a park or something, use 1 flash and and your umbrella for key light and the other flash as a hard hair/rim light ?? You can get some great results with this simple setup.
    Hey, the main reson i wanted the indoors was i had just brought some new gear and wanted to use it...but... you make a good point, i might do both indoor and outdoors....there is some nice scenery where i live maybe i can use it to my advantage.
    thanks from Casey.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    13 Dec 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,051
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You generally dont use a diffuser for hair lights .. they are usually hard light, sometimes with a snoot or grid spot attached.

    Pretty basic video here
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 01-07-2010 at 3:39pm.

  11. #11
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    23 Nov 2009
    Location
    victoria
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    You generally dont use a diffuser for hair lights .. they are usually hard light, sometimes with a snoot or grid spot attached.

    Pretty basic video here
    Hi, thanks for the video link.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •