User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Aspect Ratio - widescreen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aspect Ratio - widescreen?

This is probably a dumb question - can you only shoot in one aspect ratio on a Canon 450D? If you can where do you change this, thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The aspect ratio is determined by the sensor. However, you can always crop the image to whatever ratio you like in Photoshop etc.

Btw; the only dumb questions are those not asked.

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Canon 7D : Canon EF 70-200mm f:2.8 L IS II USM - Canon EF 24-105 f:4 L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f:1.8 - Canon EF-s 18-55mm f:3.5-5.6
    Sigma APO 150-500mm f:5-6.3 DG OS HSM
    - Sigma 10-20mm f:3.5 EX DC HSM
    Speedlite 580 EX II - Nissin Di866 II - Yongnuo 460-II x2 - Kenko extension tube set - Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
    Manfroto monopod - SILK 700DX Pro tripod - Remote release - Cokin Z-Pro filter box + Various filters

Current Social Experiment: CAPRIL - Wearing a cape for the month of April to support Beyond Blue
    Visit me on Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotty is spot on.

I did read an article a few months ago about thinking ahead when shooting. ie framing your shot with a future crop in mind so you can get the result you are after. For example if you're shooting for a magazine cover that needs to be as certain aspect ratio.

So it is important to know your sensor and the aspect ratio it shoots and what your result needs to be. (I'll try and find that article)
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A simple way to find out the aspect ratio is to divide the width of the image by the height. If the answer is around 4/3 (or 1.3333), then the aspect ratio is 4:3 (standard screen). If the answer is around 16/9 (or 1.7778), then the aspect ratio is 16:9 (wide screen).

To convert standard-screen to wide-screen, just trim 1/8 off the top and 1/8 off the bottom. (Or select 3/4 of the height of the image and the entire width of the image, and crop it.)

Conversely, to convert wide-screen to standard screen, trim 2/9 from each edge of the image (or select 6/9 of the width of the image, and the entire height of the image, and crop it.)
    Canon EOS 500D camera
    Canon lens: EF 50mm, EFS 18-55mm, EFS 55-250mm
    Close-up lens: +1, +2, +4, +10
    Velbon Sherpa 200R/PH-157Q tripod

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most consumer level DSLR do not offer an option to change the aspect ratio, however as you go up the product line they do. Some offer 3:2 or 5:4 as a selectable option in the menu. As members above has stated you can just crop in your post processing software.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 to all the above.

For wide screen it maybe possible to stitch more than one image together as it done for panoramas.
    Allow for this option.