User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Canon 7D... A dud ???

  1. #1
    Account Closed Atlas's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Jul 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs down Canon 7D... A dud ???

    Hi All,

    I purchased a Canon 7D about 6 weeks ago... Have used it mostly (99%) of the time in the studio. Can't fault it...

    Take it out of the studio and the noise above ISO200 is woeful.... Even with flash sharpness is average and noise a great issue...

    My 30D in same circumstance leaves it for dead.... Anyone had issues ?

  2. #2
    Moderately Underexposed I @ M's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 May 2007
    Location
    Marlo, Far East Gippsland
    Posts
    4,911
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a read of this thread Atlas.

    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=59999
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.



  3. #3
    Ausphotography Regular
    Join Date
    28 Dec 2008
    Location
    Ipswich, QLD
    Posts
    1,328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found my 7d quite noisy at anything over iso200 as well. I was actually very dissapointed with it. Sold it and bought a second 5dmkii.
    Critique and comments welcomed on my images!

    www.philrettkephotography.com
    http://www.flickr.com/philrettke

    Canon EOS 5D MKII x 2 | Ef 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM | Ef 16-35mm f2.8L II | Ef 180mm f/3.5L macro | Ef 24-70mm f/2.8L | Adobe Photoshop CS3 extended | Digital Photo Professional | Photomatix Pro 3 | Adobe Lightroom 2.3

  4. #4
    Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Atlas's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Jul 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys.

    Andrew I did a search on here, nothing came up...

    JorG's experiences sound way too familiar to my 40D that I had to send away twice.... 2 months in total... So I bit the bullet and went for the 7D, as I already had heaps of Canon gear, and my second camera, the 30D...

    To take so long at the repair pace is just ridiculous, but moving to Nikon is a big and expensive call....

  5. #5
    Moderately Underexposed I @ M's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 May 2007
    Location
    Marlo, Far East Gippsland
    Posts
    4,911
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

    Andrew I did a search on here, nothing came up...
    All sweet mate, the thread has only been running a day or so and doesn't really have specifics attached to it that would point to Canon in a search.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    08 May 2009
    Location
    Buninyong
    Posts
    1,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually been very impressed with the performance of the 7D. I'm quite happy to let it go up to ISO3200. Must say though that LR3 is much better at handling what noise is there.
    Mic

    Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

    www.michaelgoulding.com

  7. #7
    can't remember Tannin's Avatar
    Join Date
    16 Apr 2007
    Location
    Ballarat
    Posts
    2,895
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are doing something wrong. I have no idea what, but the high-ISO performance of the 7D is not just good, it is outstanding. Clearly superior to a 30D and (obviously given that) even more so as compared with a 40D or 50D.

    PS: I am tempted to add some weasel words like "unless there is something faulty in your particular camera", but I cannot imagine what possible fault could (a) cause noise as you describe but not (b) make the whole thing fall over. Some formal testing should resolve the matter. DPR would be a good place to seek suitable methodology.
    Tony

    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    04 Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be an issue with your particular camera. I hired a 7D to try out to see if worth upgrading from my 30D. Pics at ISO 3200 were outstanding as was the focusing. Test shots same lens, ISO, F stop etc vs different bodies produced sharper pics with 7D. Test shooting at local footy produced heaps more keepers as the focus kept up with the action.
    Result of hiring = saving up for 7D!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    28 Dec 2009
    Location
    Yokine
    Posts
    986
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Atlas.
    Like you I was having big focus problems with the newly acquired 7D until last week. It was then I realised that this is a camera that likes to be fast. I have new fast glass and could not get anything in focus. Now with some tweaking of my practices it is working like a dream. So far outdoor not much below ISO 400 and it's all good. Minimal noise and crystal clear shots. I'm finding I have to do more tripod work but I'll learn to do that.
    Peter.

    Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

  10. #10
    Member chrislummephotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 May 2010
    Location
    Rockhampton
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think, for the price, I'd spend a tad extra and go with the 5D2.

    7D only if you don't want full frame. I'm sure its a fantastic camera though.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    19 Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisneyland
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterking View Post
    Hey Atlas.
    Like you I was having big focus problems with the newly acquired 7D until last week. It was then I realised that this is a camera that likes to be fast. I have new fast glass and could not get anything in focus. Now with some tweaking of my practices it is working like a dream. So far outdoor not much below ISO 400 and it's all good. Minimal noise and crystal clear shots. I'm finding I have to do more tripod work but I'll learn to do that.
    Hey Peter, can you expand on that a little? What do you mean when you say the camera likes to be fast? And what was the tweeking to your practices?

    Ta

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    08 May 2009
    Location
    Buninyong
    Posts
    1,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterking View Post
    Hey Atlas.
    It was then I realised that this is a camera that likes to be fast.
    Interesting statement this, I'm interested what you mean by it...

    I can relate to it though, the 7D can be a machine gun like camera. I have found myself having to think about slowing everything down and concentrating more on what I am doing. It is so easy just to hold the trigger and click away forgetting the basics of planning your shot.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    28 Dec 2009
    Location
    Yokine
    Posts
    986
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kit previously was a 350D with kit lenses. I now have 2 7D's, have different budget lenses, as well as a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.8.

    With the 350 I was able to operate in 100 to 400 ISO and get excellent results but most of my work was sports shots so shutter speeds were high.

    With the 7D I find I now have to work with a minimum 400ISO to get the same results.

    One pice of information I was given by Clubmanmc, to whom I am extremely grateful for his advice, is keep the shutter speed above 1/100th.

    Now that I do that I find that my results are consistently good. Don't get me wrong I still have a hell of a lot to learn but with the new gear and due to the Kitesurfing season being over I have moved into other genres so my approach has changed a lot.

    As for practice changes, I have had to work very much on my stance and holding the camera. Both are working better together now, so I now find I am a bit more stable. I can't remember who but someone posted a link about holding your camera the other week. I'll find it and post it here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    19 Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisneyland
    Posts
    967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterking View Post
    My kit previously was a 350D with kit lenses. I now have 2 7D's, have different budget lenses, as well as a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.8.

    With the 350 I was able to operate in 100 to 400 ISO and get excellent results but most of my work was sports shots so shutter speeds were high.

    With the 7D I find I now have to work with a minimum 400ISO to get the same results.

    One pice of information I was given by Clubmanmc, to whom I am extremely grateful for his advice, is keep the shutter speed above 1/100th.

    Now that I do that I find that my results are consistently good. Don't get me wrong I still have a hell of a lot to learn but with the new gear and due to the Kitesurfing season being over I have moved into other genres so my approach has changed a lot.

    As for practice changes, I have had to work very much on my stance and holding the camera. Both are working better together now, so I now find I am a bit more stable. I can't remember who but someone posted a link about holding your camera the other week. I'll find it and post it here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk
    Aha, thanks for the clarification on the 'camera likes to be fast' thing, that's not a phrase I'd ever heard before. So, it's more capable at higher ISO allowing shorter exposures.

    I upgraded from the 400D to the 7D and have found that provided the exposure is good, the noise is very managable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •