Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    06 Jun 2010
    Location
    Brisbane - North
    Posts
    172

    Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

    Gday folks

    I am looking to extend my artillery as I currently only have kit lenses & Canons 50mm f1.8 and have almost decided on the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro. I want something that will improve my portraits (candid party shots mostly) with the f2.8 and zoom, but also like the versatility that I can use it for other things, especially Macro.

    I am told that it is not as good as a dedicated Macro lens but am sure it will be better than what I have currently.

    Before I pull out the credit card I would like to hear your opinions and experiences on the performance of this lens for my needs.

    Thanks!

    Simon

  2. #2
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    06 Jun 2010
    Location
    Brisbane - North
    Posts
    172
    And, if it matters I have a 450D.

  3. #3
    Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Join Date
    14 Dec 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    134
    The macro suffix to the Sigma is a lie. It does not do anything near to what macro encompasses. The most the Sigma 24-70 will do is have a reduced minimal focusing distance. Poor choice of wording but I'm sure it was their (Sigma's) marketing dept's purpose to mislead.

    The lens itself is a pretty good budget mid-range fast zoom.

    Should be good to pair the Sigma 24-70 with your existing nifty.

    RE: using 24-70 focal range on a crop (450D) body ... I'd recommend the Tamron 17-50 or something similar so you actually have a wide to mid range covered. On crop, the 24-70mm range becomes somewhat ... castrated.

  4. #4
    Administrator (Site Owner) ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    13,298
    The sigma 24-70 I have is the sharpest lens I own. It is a superb lens and for a mid range zoom, you cannot go past it. It is the only lens I question myself about having the need to sharpen all digital photos.

    I disagree with dche5390 comment that Sigma's use of the word macro is a lie and the suggestion it was a determined decision to mislead is extremely harsh, and I would think Sigma's legal department might be questioning statements like made above. You can get quite good macro shots with this lens, and their other zoom lenses that they stick the word macro on. However, it will not compete with a dedicated prime (non zoom) macro lens.

    This was taken with my 24-70 on a Nikon D3
    Last edited by ricktas; 22-06-2010 at 5:19am.
    RICK
    Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

    www.tassiephotos.com

  5. #5
    Member Top's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Jun 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The sigma 24-70 I have is the sharpest lens I own. It is a superb lens and for a mid range zoom, you cannot go past it. It is the only lens I question myself about having the need to sharpen all digital photos.

    I disagree with dche5390 comment that Sigma's use of the word macro is a lie and the suggestion it was a determined decision to mislead is extremely harsh, and I would think Sigma's legal department might be questioning statements like made above. You can get quite good macro shots with this lens, and their other zoom lenses that they stick the word macro on. However, it will not compete with a dedicated prime (non zoom) macro lens.

    This was taken with my 24-70 on a Nikon D3
    Which version of the Sigma 24-70 do you own? I am considering the new 24-70 HSM
    but some say it is even worse than the old version, is it true?

  6. #6
    Administrator (Site Owner) ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    13,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Top View Post
    Which version of the Sigma 24-70 do you own? I am considering the new 24-70 HSM
    but some say it is even worse than the old version, is it true?
    I have the new version, and said before, it is the sharpest lens I own, so not sure who the some that say it is even worse are?

  7. #7
    Member Top's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Jun 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I have the new version, and said before, it is the sharpest lens I own, so not sure who the some that say it is even worse are?
    Thanks a lot for the confidence!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    20 Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    69
    I also own that lens and am very happy with it. It is great for performance shots where the lighting can be dark and flash is useless. Here are some samples taken witht his lens, taken at different zoom and apatures. My only two negatives with this lens are: size (quite large and heavy due to f2.8) and the macro is ... "meh" .... I use the 70-200 macro instead, even though this lens is even larger.

    The focus speed is fine and I say that this lens is one of the best value for money lenses. Really good quality at a really reasonable price.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mkooper; 23-06-2010 at 9:40am.
    Best Regards, Mark (Criticism encouraged on all my photos. Thanking you for your guidance).

    Canon 5D II and 40D | Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L IS | Canon EF100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS
    Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 | Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 | Canon Flash 420EX | Manfrotto tripod

    (I want: Canon EF 24-105 mm f4L IS | Canon 50mm f1.4 prime | Cokin filters (NDx1; GNDx1) | Sun reflector)

    http://www.kooper.id.au | http://mkooper.smugmug.com/

  9. #9
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    06 Jun 2010
    Location
    Brisbane - North
    Posts
    172
    Awesome! thanks guys. I am sold

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •