User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ram memory upgrade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips guys. I might email Cheap Chips and see what they've got.
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to pick up 1GB sticks for under $40.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the Abit website's specs on your mobo. They usually make a note if the board only supports 3GB with a 32 bit O/S.

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/mothe...&fMTYPE=LGA775

Memory

Four 240-pin DIMM sockets
    Supports Dual channel DDR2 533/400 Un-buffered Non-ECC memory
    Supports maximum memory capacity up to 4GB

Cheers

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few places where you can pick up like Gkill or Patriot DDR2-800 4GB kits for around $120.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unsure if the O.P. was still wanting to upgrade, but if you're quick this might be of use:

4GB Kit KVR800D2N5K2/4G
    http://pricesengine.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does anybody know where I can get 2x 4GB sticks of RAM for a decent price? Everywhere Ive seen is around $400-500 mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    does anybody know where I can get 2x 4GB sticks of RAM for a decent price? Everywhere Ive seen is around $400-500 mark
    DDR2? DDR3? What specs do you need, etc? Also, what usage is the computer for (i.e. gaming machines like speed/latency trade offs, graphics probably don't care about slower latency, etc).

Your CPU and motherboard would also play a part as there is no point sticking fast RAM into a slow mobo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchamacallit View Post
    DDR2? DDR3? What specs do you need, etc? Also, what usage is the computer for (i.e. gaming machines like speed/latency trade offs, graphics probably don't care about slower latency, etc).

Your CPU and motherboard would also play a part as there is no point sticking fast RAM into a slow mobo.
    oops should have told you more, its DDR3 for the new macbook pro running i7 core 2.66GHz, and an SSD, for photo editing and some gaming also, currently has the 4GB of RAM standard, off the top of my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update on mine...

I purchased 2 x 1GB sticks through a friend on the forum here; Thanks Tom (dieselpower83). Added these to the original 2 x 512 sticks. Was hoping for around 3GB Ram from this but ended up with about 2.5/2.6 as the last stick of 512 doesn't seem to be being recognised. I'm still happy with the result though as the processing speed in CS4 etc has improved noticeably. The only downside at present is that for some strange reason the computer now takes a lot longer to boot up than it used to? If I had the cash I would have gone with 2 x 2GB sticks but like I said I'm happy with the improvement for a $70 outlay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodallphotography View Post
    Just an update on mine...

I purchased 2 x 1GB sticks through a friend on the forum here; Thanks Tom (dieselpower83). Added these to the original 2 x 512 sticks. Was hoping for around 3GB Ram from this but ended up with about 2.5/2.6 as the last stick of 512 doesn't seem to be being recognised. I'm still happy with the result though as the processing speed in CS4 etc has improved noticeably. The only downside at present is that for some strange reason the computer now takes a lot longer to boot up than it used to? If I had the cash I would have gone with 2 x 2GB sticks but like I said I'm happy with the improvement for a $70 outlay.
    Sounds good. You could try looking at the SP packs for XP, etc (the may increase the addressable RAM - I believe the OS does funky magic here). If not, 64bit would be the only way but oh well. As for the speed decrease, seems a little unusual - you could try switching the memory sticks around (so the 2x1GB sit where your 512s used to sit, just make sure they are still paired up correctly).

Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    oops should have told you more, its DDR3 for the new macbook pro running i7 core 2.66GHz, and an SSD, for photo editing and some gaming also, currently has the 4GB of RAM standard, off the top of my head.
    Now this cold be a toughie, as 4GB sticks are generally expensive and I just verified that MacBook Pros run 1066MHz. A quick look has the majority around the $400-500 mark as you mentioned, maybe email cheapchips and mention ausphotography and see what they can do? If they don't supply 4GB sticks, I can direct you to a few places depending on your location.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12