User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon D7 - CF Memory Card

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And your response to Mark's post above is ...?

And you can post some images and explain how this technique of rapid firing gives you the results you feel you must achieve?
    Ray

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray,

I have very very rarely held the shutter down on full throttle at 8 fps (unless i was showing off to some body)

but i have had the buffer fill (i do shoot raw) and have maybe missed a shot (bear in mind thats only 14 frames in 2 seconds) and if the buffer clears slowly because of slow passing of info to the card from the buffer i could miss a shot...

if i shot jpg, i would never hit the buffer limit...

but

who shoots jpg any more...

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmanmc View Post
    Ray,

I have very very rarely held the shutter down on full throttle at 8 fps (unless i was showing off to some body)

but i have had the buffer fill (i do shoot raw) and have maybe missed a shot (bear in mind thats only 14 frames in 2 seconds) and if the buffer clears slowly because of slow passing of info to the card from the buffer i could miss a shot...

if i shot jpg, i would never hit the buffer limit...

but

who shoots jpg any more...

M
    Well.. needing to shoot more than 14 frames in 2 seconds is not the kind of photography that I'd be proud to put my name on.

"who shoots jpg any more" lots of us actually, but that's another argument.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    Well.. needing to shoot more than 14 frames in 2 seconds is not the kind of photography that I'd be proud to put my name on.
    Ray, I really don't follow your train of thought on this one mate.

Camera manufacturers make their various models capable of fast frame rates for a reason.
    Card manufacturers make their cards capable of keeping up with the camera for a reason.

Fast frame rates and fast cards are all tools in a photographers toolkit, just because you don't use them is not much of an excuse to criticise others for doing so.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Ray, I really don't follow your train of thought on this one mate.

Camera manufacturers make their various models capable of fast frame rates for a reason.
    Card manufacturers make their cards capable of keeping up with the camera for a reason.

Fast frame rates and fast cards are all tools in a photographers toolkit, just because you don't use them is not much of an excuse to criticise others for doing so.
    Yeh, fair enough, I'm just presenting the other side of the argument.

Just because things are done and said and assumed doesn't make tham right. I've only asked people here to explain themselves in more detail. I'm willing to learn, but give me some facts and examples, don't just mindlessly sprout the accepted rhetoric.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fast frame rates are good for Sports, Motorsport, Wildlife esp. Birding.
    Back in the day I used a 250 frame film back and a motor drive - just a lot more expensive.

Darksome (Rich) explains why fast framerate is good for birding http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=16408

A lot of cams now have HD video, another reason for fast memory cards.

FWIW I shoot raw by default but will use JPEG when it makes sense. There is no right answer on that one.

Personally, for the sake of a few $ I would always get the fastest memory I could.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray, I simply don't see any argument that has another side.

Fact. Fast cameras and cards exist.
    Fact. People use them to obtain the results that they want.

As for sprouting "accepted rhetoric", I fail to see any of that either. I have presented 2 facts above, no rhetoric.

Facts and examples of fast frame rates and the successes that stem from them abound both on this forum and the net in general in such numbers as to become fact and not rhetoric as to the usefulness of them.

Think very fast moving small birds that sit still for less than 1/100th of a second at a time and you will more than likely never get the shot that you want by squeezing of single exposures.

Think advertising action, have a look at this video and then tell me how YOU would achieve that shot without a fast frame rate.
    OK, you might not want to do that style of photography but don't knock others who do.

There is no "other side" to this argument because there is no argument.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was specifically asked by a friend who competes in triathlon to do just that one morning.

I was there with the camera any way and he wanted a series of shots he could examine to check both his style and set up of the components in real world competition use.

And by the way, I was quite proud to put my name on them
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I amctually shoot raw and jpg, sort the Jpgs and then fix what ever i need to with the raws... but thats another story...

with memory cards so cheap what would i want to shoot only jpg...

i have filled a buffer doing a wedding of all things...

the bride and groom were professional dancers, and as i do motor sport hired me to do their wedding dance,

no one had seen it, i had no plan, or did i know what was going on, which direction they were dancing nor how long it was going to last, but i knew one thing....

they had a room full of trophies, for Jive, rock n roll and a whole lot more... so i did not want to miss any of it...

i didnt shoot 14 frames in 2 seconds, the beat they danced to was a jive song, had a 4 / 4 beat from memory, so every 4th beat i took a shot... the camera didnt stop me taking a shot for the entire dance, (almost 3 mins...) and the red light didnt stop writing all those mins... with a slower card... i would have or could have missed opportunities...

my first camera a 300D was good for 3 fps, even on JPG mode, after the 12th photo it was backed up

so i am glad to have a faster camera and a faster card...

(just for the record the couple LOVED the shots of their dance)

M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well then

show us some thing YOU WOULD put your name on...

so we can be the judge...

M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmanmc View Post
    well then

show us some thing YOU WOULD put your name on...

so we can be the judge...

M
    Note that I actually do use my name. So judge ... and an example of your work would be ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if i must...

my website is linked below... here are some of the high lights...

M
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray Clubmanmc
    Good images from both.
    They also have nothing to do with the OP. So lets get back on topic which is benefits of fast memory cards.

Fast cards are better then slow(er) ones. For rather obvious reasons.
    There are very good and creative reasons to use a fast frame rate + raw or FFR + JPEG.
    Its only right/wrong in context.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, back on topic and my apologies Steve.

In your original post you quote read/write speeds in mb/sec, I have three CF cards all of which use a times rating i.e x4 (a quite old 256mb card), x100 and x120. How does this rating equate to mb/sec?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, back on topic and my apologies Steve.

In your original post you quote read/write speeds in mb/sec, I have three CF cards all of which use a times rating i.e x4 (a quite old 256mb card), x100 and x120. How does this rating equate to mb/sec?
    I'm not sure, though I've noticed various sites selling cards also refer to x200, x400 etc. There must be a base value to which xNNN refers. Anyone else?

ps. btw, great photos.
    aka Steve
    Using a Canon 7D, EFS 18-55mm IS, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 non IS version.

Now somebody please explain what all these buttons and knobs do

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need to shoot a maximum burst as quickly as possible followed by another burst as quickly as possible I'd suggest your technique has other problems which you need to address.
    I've read this thread with interest - you want examples of when someone would use burst rates in quick succession. I do it all the time.

I shoot dog events, and part of that is getting movement shots when the dog is in correct stride. There is no way you can do it with a single shot, simply impossible. Nor with a video camera as the shots will not be sharp enough or at high enough resolution. Therefore you must shoot a burst sequence as the dog moves around the ring. And guess what...often there are more than one dog in the ring at any one time! So I pan following one dog, take a burst, then quickly turn to the next do the same...might do it for 4,6, maybe 10 dogs!

So yes there are times when you need that capability, hence why I bought a 7D.

So statements like this...

are simply ridiculous.
    Last edited by etherial; 17-06-2010 at 8:14pm. Reason: grammer
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by essaytee View Post
    I'm not sure, though I've noticed various sites selling cards also refer to x200, x400 etc. There must be a base value to which xNNN refers. Anyone else?

ps. btw, great photos.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash#Speed

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ps. btw, great photos.
    Here is a good resource if you want to get deep into it...

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/in...eed-cards.html

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I gleaned from the links provided (thanks) is that the base speed unit is 150 kb/sec, therefore x400 rated card is 400 x 150 = 60,000 or 60 mb/sec (or really fast and x600 faster still - and expensive).

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I gleaned from the links provided (thanks) is that the base speed unit is 150 kb/sec, therefore x400 rated card is 400 x 150 = 60,000 or 60 mb/sec (or really fast and x600 faster still - and expensive).
    But it doesn't mean very much. What you need to know is how it will work with your camera. Marketing blurb can be taken as a general indication, but not much more than that - and sometimes not even that.

Since you don't seem to have found the right pages, I had a look for you. Have a look at this.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...=7-10044-10297

I think Kym may already have posted this, but just to be sure you read it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast