Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much moisture is in the bag

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much moisture is in the bag

Bought some silica sachels today to put in my camera bag just in case. Normally leave it open and never get it wet.
    Well this has scared teh hell out of me. The packet has only been in my camera bag (Slingshot 300 AW) about 4 hrs and the crystals are going pink already - pink indicating thebeads are fully saturated - I think I will look into a storage cabinet.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night I through another satchlet in my camera bag making it two, each one is recommended for about 300mm cube or more depending on conditions. The one I put in midday yesterday is about 75% pink crystall inidactor and the one I put in last night is about 30% pink indicator.

I red an article that states - for mould to grow, humidy must remain above 70% for min of 24 hrs. So, there is obviously moisture in my camera bag, but would assume that if I was to leave a satchel on my desk it may have the save results.
    Interested to hear other experience, these things cost $25 for 3 satchels and on the instructions are said to be good for only 4 recharges as the crystals loose there effectivenes each recharge. I actually expected these things to take maybe a couple of weeks to become saturated - am I naive? Is it normal for them to absorb so much moisture this quickly or do I need to give my back a good old airing and some sunlight to ensure it is as moisture free as possible.
    I am also mindful that carrying the backpack around you do tend to sweat a little on the back, is this moisture going into the bag or do it whisk away with the air padding on the pack.

I did fine this product on the web http://www.zorb-it.com/Scripts/prodList.asp zorb-it, anybody used them?

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump - any takers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You paid $25 for 3 satchels? HK sells them for next to nothing.

My bags been soaked a few times so I thread in about 10 little 5 gram satchels. After about a week some crystals have a slight pinky tinge.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, these are 1 ounce satchels. I feel a bit ripped off to be honest. For the size of the packet I expected it to last quite a time. Just thought my bag felt a little like there was moisture about, like on a day that is a little humid you get that feel on things. Just walked into my regular camera shop and asked if they had silica crystals. I really thought they would have a stock of different types or maybe the better ones available. They only had moisture Muncher which I assumed would be OK.

Not all the crystals have gone pick as I said - doesn't say if you wait till all turn pink. Anyway, the other thing I am a buit peeved about is on the outside of the pack it says for camera bags etc, but when you read the instructions it say they are only effective in air tight storage.
    I am in the process of ordering a better more cost effective product for my bag but am uncertain as to what to use - hence looking to more experienced users for some assistance.

Mike

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well thats scared me enough to look into buying some of these bags, thanks for the heads up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to order a couple of these in the near future as I live in a cold wooden house- there are different sizes and types on the web page but take note of his 'please note' comment. Hope it helps

http://www.silicagel.com.au/products...s.html#reviews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just placed my order!

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    well thats scared me enough to look into buying some of these bags, thanks for the heads up!
    hi flash, I tread my gear like a new born baby - no money in my pocket to replace a mouldy lens. It is a really concern if you do some reading, but be careful not to get paranoid, it is easy to get wound up over this. I have tried to find the thread by an AP-er about what it takes to get mould started and it is something like 70% or higher humidity for 24 + hrs. I also read a thread tht you should remove teh cap and hit your lens a few times with you flash before putting it away in a bag or the like for any length of time.. Aparently this is supposed to kill any spours that a just waiting for the conditions to attach - I am a little sceptical on this one but have started doing it just the same.

Regardless, I am investing $50 in setting up a cabinet with dry back and a lamp just in case.

Mike

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGSnBIRDS View Post
    I'm going to order a couple of these in the near future as I live in a cold wooden house- there are different sizes and types on the web page but take note of his 'please note' comment. Hope it helps

http://www.silicagel.com.au/products...s.html#reviews
    This looks the go - I see they have humidy card indicators also - I think I may place an order tonight, like the idea of the metal box too.

Thanks,

Mike

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just placed my order!
    I will be as soon as I finish work - crikey, didn't I get ripped of the city camera shop, now that is embarrasing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to the Supermarket,the section where the Kitty litter is,a 2Kg bag of Silica is about $12,a pair of Pantyhose to put it in(cut to the size you want and tie it up) and your set.
    Last edited by kevinj; 16-06-2010 at 4:45pm.
    Kev.
    C+C and Edits Welcome,just tell me what you did.
    Canon 50D,EF-S17-85mm,EF100mm F2.8 Macro,MT-24EX Flash.
    Sigma 150-500mm f5.6-6.3 DG.
    Photoshop Elements 7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go around to shoe-stores and ask for any old silica sachets from shoe boxes. Likewise I have a friend who makes hardwood outdoor furniture and he gets the silica sachets in all the boxes of nuts and bolts he orders. They are all pretty well dry when I get them and I just replace them every month or so and it doesn't cost me anything but my time or a dollar in postage-stamps
    Attitude is everything!

Cheers, Paul

Nikon

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just placed my order!
    Last I heard it doesn't rain in Port Pirie, have to have humidity to be a concern like QLD & Northern NSW etc.

If you are travelling into those areas then the measures stated are needed but generally SA has a very dry climate.
    Regards
    Kevin

Nikon D500 D7200. nikkor 200-500 f5.6, Tamron 100-400, Nikkor 70-200 f4 plus other glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevpride/

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodallphotography View Post
    I go around to shoe-stores and ask for any old silica sachets from shoe boxes. Likewise I have a friend who makes hardwood outdoor furniture and he gets the silica sachets in all the boxes of nuts and bolts he orders. They are all pretty well dry when I get them and I just replace them every month or so and it doesn't cost me anything but my time or a dollar in postage-stamps
    I like that solution, I have a contact in PC hardware, I wonder if I could do the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin you're right, we dont get much and the climate is very dry which is why I've aged so well! but it wont hurt to throw a little bag or three in there! too much money to replace

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kevin you're right, we dont get much and the climate is very dry which is why I've aged so well! but it wont hurt to throw a little bag or three in there! too much money to replace
    Yep, I'm with you - keep that bag dry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Yep, I'm with you - keep that bag dry.
    + 1 , precautionary measure me thinks

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just placed my order!
    Flash, did you order from the website or via phone or similiar? I was hoping to order tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    website mate, quick and clean! paid with paypal!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast