Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cokin p-series filters

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelT2 View Post
    .... my lens takes 58mm screw in filters does any one know if they will fit or need to buy adaptor rings?
    You ALWAYS need adapter rings!
    the Cokin filters have a square shaped holder where the filters slot into(on one side) and on the other side of the holder is a circular recess where the adapter ring slides, and clips into as well. That circular shape is set, and can fit up to an 82mm lens thread.
    The reason that the rear recess of the filter holder is circular is that you can rotate the filter holder to suit your scene.

I think(I'm not sure) that this landscape kit may require you to purchase the adapter ring separately, and all you do is specify the size of the threads(in your case 58mm!).
    Then when you get yourself another lens with a larger diameter front element, all you need to do is purchase another adapter ring(approx $10-20) or so.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou i will now go armed with somewhat limited knowledge and purchase the kit and adaptor ring..
    Canon EOS 550D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Canon EF-S 55-200mm, SIGMA 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM.Speedlite 430EX II, Hoya ND filters, Some old dodgey tripod, CS5, Lightroom, Lowepro pro runner 350SW
    Constructive Critique of photo's welcomed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I have been toying with the idea of heading out and getting some filters but didn't understand the whole concept of the holders and rings. I guess its nearly trial and error to which grad strength one needs depending on the type of scenses they shoot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    You ALWAYS need adapter rings!
    the Cokin filters have a square shaped holder where the filters slot into(on one side) and on the other side of the holder is a circular recess where the adapter ring slides, and clips into as well. That circular shape is set, and can fit up to an 82mm lens thread.
    The reason that the rear recess of the filter holder is circular is that you can rotate the filter holder to suit your scene.

I think(I'm not sure) that this landscape kit may require you to purchase the adapter ring separately, and all you do is specify the size of the threads(in your case 58mm!).
    Then when you get yourself another lens with a larger diameter front element, all you need to do is purchase another adapter ring(approx $10-20) or so.
    Thanks Arthur - I forgot about needing the adapter ring - 58mm in my case too.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelT2 View Post
    Thankyou i will now go armed with somewhat limited knowledge and purchase the kit and adaptor ring..
    Let us know Rebel, how you go - roughly what price are you paying for the whole kit?

Steve.
    EOS 5 film camera & basic kit lenses.
    CC's welcome, but please ask before editing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look here for how the Cokin Creative system works.

Here you can see the benefits of using different graduated filters.

For anyone wanting to have a play with these things in sunrise/sunset scenes, I would start with this filter, a soft edge 3 stop GND8 (Ref. 121S) - you can buy it from here

You can also buy a kit here, which includes a P-Series filter holder, 1 stop GND2, 2 stop GND4, and 3 stop GND8 for $99. You will need to buy adapter rings seperately here for your particular lens diameter.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post

what price are you paying for the whole kit?

Steve.
    If you go with the above kit, including the holder and 3 GND filters ($99) plus a 58mm ring ($29) .. you ll get yourself a nice little landscape kit for under $150.

The kit is handy because you can stack them up.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have been doing some research and pretty much came up with the same kit at the same supplier. Think I will order this soon. It is a realitively inexpensive addition to a photography kit, not to mention I am getting sick of dark foregrounds or blown out skies :-).
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using the Cokin P-series with my Olympus E-P1 for about 9 months now. They are ideal for smaller format cameras and would suit most 1.5-1.6 crop cameras too provided you don't go ultra wide.

The standard holder takes 3 filters or a circular polariser and 2 filters. You can get colour shift problems if you stack too many and the edges of the filters can pick up the sun if you are shooting at an angle towards the sun and give terrible flare. A solution to that is to cover the edges of the filters in some light black card or similar.

The wide angle lens adapter should suit most wider lenses in a cropped sensor camera. It will only take a single filter.

As well as Cokin filters, I have some cheap Tian Ya filters that seem reasonable although they are about 1mm thicker. I also have some more expensive HiTech filters.

The main problem with Cokin is thay don't have a lot of filters I wanted, e.g. ND 1.2 (16x) which I use a lot and reverse GND filters which do a trick sunrise, or hard GNDs. HiTech give you those options for less than half the price of the top-end filters.

If you are going to shoot ultra-wide, I would suggest you look into the Z-pro size however they are a lot more expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Have been doing some research and pretty much came up with the same kit at the same supplier. Think I will order this soon. It is a realitively inexpensive addition to a photography kit, not to mention I am getting sick of dark foregrounds or blown out skies :-).
    Mike its really the only way to shoot these kinds of scenes properly. Every landscaper should have a ND kit ..

The pool shot on my homepage was done by holding a filter in front of the lens , no adapter ring or holder. So you can see it works .... sometimes
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 12-06-2010 at 5:04pm.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a great little starter kit. You need to play around with filters for a while to get a fell for what you require.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, same here mike.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    Mike its really the only way to shoot these kinds of scenes properly. Every landscaper should have a ND kit .. ...
    And thanks for all your advice Darren, I've checked out the supplier link and it all looks good. I assume they are a reputable supplier? At least they're in Oz, and not O/S.

One other thing is that I'll be using it on my 35mm film camera (28-80mm) I've read that there can be some vignetting issues on full frame camera's?

Steve.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    I have been using the Cokin P-series with my Olympus E-P1 for about 9 months now. They are ideal for smaller format cameras and would suit most 1.5-1.6 crop cameras too provided you don't go ultra wide......
    You do have to be careful with the choice of size(of the filter system) relative to the camera format tho!

I have an old film Rollei 35mm camera and I have tried to use my Cokin P filters with that(handheld of course). The problem is that the diameter of the lens on that lil Rollei is too small. I guess that many or most of the lenses for the Olympus EP series cameras will ahve lens diameters larger than 30.5mm so it may not be an issue for that size system, But the P series will be close to useless on say a P&S camera(again due to the size of the lens diameter).

There is an A series set of filters which is smaller again than the P. The problem is that the graduation in the grad filters is too broad for the smaller sized lenses. So you don't get clearly defined graduation over the horizontal length of the front glass(hope that makes sense?).
    Having access to both soft and hard grads too, both types turned out to be useless on the Rollei, and made no difference to the exposure at all. The dark area of the filter was either entirely over the lens, or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
    Yep, same here mike.

And thanks for all your advice Darren, I've checked out the supplier link and it all looks good. I assume they are a reputable supplier? At least they're in Oz, and not O/S.

One other thing is that I'll be using it on my 35mm film camera (28-80mm) I've read that there can be some vignetting issues on full frame camera's?

Steve.
    Yep ... they are a site sponsor, so if you choose to buy from them, click here, and scroll down till you find their banner. If you click through the banner, Rick (owner of AP) gets a commission. We try to encourage that, as it all goes to help in running the site and providing comp prizes etc. Stu at Quality Cameras will look after you.

As for the FF issue, Im not sure to be honest mate. Ive been shooting portraits exclusively for quite a while and havent tried the filters on my FF bodies yet.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    You do have to be careful with the choice of size(of the filter system) relative to the camera format tho!
    ... the Olympus EP series cameras will ahve lens diameters larger than 30.5mm so it may not be an issue for that size system, But the P series will be close to useless on say a P&S camera(again due to the size of the lens diameter).
    ... Having access to both soft and hard grads too, both types turned out to be useless on the Rollei, and made no difference to the exposure at all. The dark area of the filter was either entirely over the lens, or not.
    It must have had a very small dia lens.

The smallest filter size I have is 40.5mm in MFT mount but that lens won't work with Cokin filters as it is rotating & front focusing and the AF motor doesn't have power to take the load anyway.

I also have a 1950s Schneider lens with a 38mm filter size but that isn't one that you can get a stepping ring for. 38mm is an obsolete filter size.

Smaller lenses don't work well with soft grads and hard grads can be a bit extreme at times. Its all part of the challenge but as Darren said, there is no other way for certain types of photography.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep ... they are a site sponsor, so if you choose to buy from them, click here, and scroll down till you find their banner. If you click through the banner, Rick (owner of AP) gets a commission. We try to encourage that, as it all goes to help in running the site and providing comp prizes etc. Stu at Quality Cameras will look after you.

As for the FF issue, Im not sure to be honest mate. Ive been shooting portraits exclusively for quite a while and havent tried the filters on my FF bodies yet.
    Thanks again Darren.

Did some research and it looks like the p-series is fine for 28mm and onwards for FF camera's.

No probs, when I do buy I will go through the banner link as suggested - always good to support forums such as this.

So, I just have some bills to pay...or the filters...or bills...or filters...bills...filters... hmmmmm

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    forget the bills!... take care of the important stuff first!

if that sounds a lot like me!... who shall forever remain broke, and burdened with an increasingly superfluous oversupply of seemingly important gear that has me constantly teetering on the edge of life and death.. and I mean seriously burdened sometimes.. when I take the 300/2.8 for walks too!... well if that sounds a lot like what I would be tempted to do.. you're in good company(depending on your definition of good! )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I put off the last $500 payment for Bellas engagement ring so I could buy another flash

Hows that for kahunas

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cokin P are a decent filter but they are a fairly soft plastic/resin/acrylic or whatever, so they can scratch quite easilly, especially if you try to clean them too often (I suggest keeping them clean to avoid the need to clean them at all). Fortunately they are quite cheap so it makes sense to replace 'worn' filters when the time comes.

They do flare more than some filters, especially when they start to scratch a little, but you get what you pay for. I'm talking about veiling flare where contrast is reduced considerably but this tends to happen when shooting into the sun rather than in normal shootng conditions. Admitedly veiling flare can often be corrected by simply cranking up the contrast in RAW conversion, up to a point, but it's much better to not have the problem in the first place.

Tiffen make a glass filter for the Cokin P holders and these are much better quality, they don't flare as much, can be cleaned easilly and will last for ever as long as you don't break it (it is glass), but they cost a lot too. I have a mix of Tiffen glass and Cokin plastic filters that I've used consistently for a very long time. Half the stuff I shoot is with the Cokin/Tiffen grads. I would buy the glass Tiffen over the Cokin any day of the week as long as I was doing it with some one elses money. Unfortunately I only have MY money so the decision is normally swayed towards the expendible Cokins!

JJ
    Last edited by jjphoto; 12-06-2010 at 10:44pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I put off the last $500 payment for Bellas engagement ring so I could buy another flash

Hows that for kahunas
    that's a man truly dedicated to his craft... I hope she appreciates it

And thanks Arthur for your encouragement - I suppose child support can wait and instead of eating, the kids can ignore their hunger pains and amuse themselves looking through daddy's new "pretty glass" thingies.

Thanks for the info JJ - I thought they were made of glass? But I guess you would know as you own some. I'm confused as to what they mean by this though (lifted from Cokin's Website):
    HIGH QUALITY FILTERS :

It is important that a filter matches the optical precision of a lens. Definition, contrast and colour reproduction must not be sacrified to creativity. That’s why all the filters are made of the material best adapted to the filter’s ultimate use, whether high tech organic glass (CR39) or mineral glass.

COKIN filters use the most advanced technologies. They are mostly made from organic glass, which is shock-proof, resistant to abrasion, and meets all necessary optical and chemical requirements.

It is on the basis of this quality standard that NASA appointed COKIN its official supplier for the Space Shuttle programme.
    Organic Glass? is that the plastic?

Steve.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe Cokin do have some of their filters in glass, but definitely not the P series. As JJ said they do scratch easily, especially when using them handheld against the front of the lens.

I have good images turned to duds, simply because as JJ said they can flare quite badly when shooting into the sun, but then again most lenses flare on their own accord anyhow, and having more flare from using effects filters is better than not having the image at all.
    I don't have PS which has a very effective cloning/healing tool, but my usual problem is not so much veiling flare(a dreamy ghost like lack of contrast) but more like small bright spots in various parts of the frame.
    When I 'have to do that' (which I try to avoid), I also try to frame the scene so that the flare spots are placed in low detail areas(such as sky or grass) and not intricately detailed areas, such as buildings and suchlike.

when you do get them tho, get a blower brush to keep them as clean as you can. The brush is totally non destructive to the Cokins soft poly plastic material, whereas even a super soft microfibre cloth can scratch them. If they need rubbing cleaning, use water and the micro fibre cloth.

I have one full grad Cokin that I hardly ever use(but got just in case) and the condition it's in is pristine after a good two years or so(and yes i do actually use it).
    I use it when I need to stack, and this filter is always never in contact with the lens, so that it's always the first filter in front of the pack. I never clean it with a cloth, and only by (cheap $10 blower brush) but if it gets dirty, with haze or whatever that requires a cloth to clean, then I only ever use water, so it sometimes never gets cleaned(until I get to a clean water source.. as I sometimes forget to take water with me! )

if you only ever use the holders and look after the filters by not mishandling them, they should last you for a good while.
    The packaging they come in is dreadful for storage as they flap around in the plastic case. I used to wrap two sheets of PecPads around them before placing them in their cases. But then I bought the Cokin P series filter wallet, and that's almost ideal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast