I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
    Organic Glass? is that the plastic?

Steve.
    CR39 is "Columbia Resin" formula number "39" and is a plastic that is otherwise known as allyl diglycol carbonate.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

maybe Cokin do have some of their filters in glass, but definitely not the P series.
    The polariser is glass, AFIK all the rest are CR39. They will chip on the edges if dropped. I do that a lot (accidently drop them).

They will scratch if you are determined but are reasonably tough and provided you are careful should last a few years without scrating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, that makes more sense now - thanks guys.

I'm happy to get the landscape kit and try them out and work out which one/ones suit my style.

I can always then get a better quality one ie. hi-tech/lee/singh ray/tiffen, when I can see that quality is holding me back.

The 'veiling flare' issue concerns me a bit though - not that I take a lot of shots directly at the sun. Is this less of an issue with the more expensive filters?

Now I'm a bit confused Perhaps I'd be better off getting the holder & conversion ring and 1 good quality filter???

Steve.
    EOS 5 film camera & basic kit lenses.
    CC's welcome, but please ask before editing

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    They will scratch if you are determined but are reasonably tough and provided you are careful should last a few years without scrating.
    I agree they will last years but all of mine have scratched with carefull use on my part. They often rub on a part of the holder, which tends to scratch them right down the middle of the filter, so they tend to scratch by design. However it does depend on how you use the holder and this can be avoided if you only use the slot furthest away from the lens as there are 3 slots in the holder. Using the slot closest to the lens will tend to scratch the filter as it can and does rub on the holder itself. I tend to use this slot because my holder has had some 'bath room surgery' to reduce vignetting with wider lenses (I've cut off the front 2 slots on the holder that I tend to use the most often).

JJ

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can always then get a better quality one ie. hi-tech/lee/singh ray/tiffen, when I can see that quality is holding me back.

Those filters are not all available in the Cokin P size so if you go to those filters in the future you may have to buy the respective holders which can be much more expensive.

...The 'veiling flare' issue concerns me a bit though - not that I take a lot of shots directly at the sun. Is this less of an issue with the more expensive filters?

I've never used Lee, Singh ray, Hi-Tech so I can't compare but I believe they are made of various forms of plastic/resin/acrylic. I've often wondered how they compare to Cokins in terms of flare and resistance to scratching and general wear and tear. I'm not prepared to buy one of each to find out but I think it would take a direct comparison to really know how they perform in the most difficult conditions. I'm sure they are all fine in normal use.

JJ

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    Those filters are not all available in the Cokin P size so if you go to those filters in the future you may have to buy the respective holders which can be much more expensive.
    I don't know about Tiffin, I didn't even know they made gel or non-framed glass filters. They certainly are avialble in Hitech as I have 4 different Hitech filters in P size and from memory they are available in SinghRay Lee as well. They are 85mm wide filters and both brands have an extensive range of ND, GND (hard and soft) as well as Rev-GND. Lee even have narrow strip filters in that size too. I think both Lee and SinghRay even do 75mm filters too.
    Last edited by peterb666; 13-06-2010 at 5:56am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Arthur - I forgot about needing the adapter ring - 58mm in my case too.

Let us know Rebel, how you go - roughly what price are you paying for the whole kit?

Steve.
    $89 for the kit ans $29 for a 58mm adaptor ring from Quality Camera Sales..Hoping to try it out on the Watamolla shoot next week..
    Canon EOS 550D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Canon EF-S 55-200mm, SIGMA 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM.Speedlite 430EX II, Hoya ND filters, Some old dodgey tripod, CS5, Lightroom, Lowepro pro runner 350SW
    Constructive Critique of photo's welcomed.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelT2 View Post
    $89 for the kit ans $29 for a 58mm adaptor ring from Quality Camera Sales..Hoping to try it out on the Watamolla shoot next week..
    It should come in handy.

Amor fati!
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info folks. looks like i might use a bit of my tax return on this piece of kit

All lines lead to Home ...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great little addition if you are just starting landscape photography
    Regards,
    Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same query.

In the end I went with the cokin p-holder (from AP sponsor Quality Cameras) and ordered some hi-tech filters from the UK. Its a bit of a hybrid option but the filters fit fine and I was worried about the Cokin quality. I haven't had a chance to use them extensively yet but so far so good.

Cheers
    Josh
    Check out my new site - www.wattsgallery.com - feedback welcome

Gear - Canon 5D, 40D, 10-22, 24-70 2.8L, 200 2.8L, 50 1.8, 430EXII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the Z series bought from Quality Cameras they are bigger 6" x 4" they do the job ok by the time they are u/s I might have saved enough for a few Singh Ray filters but this is not a cheap hobby /profession so going with the cokin for starters is a good way to practice using filters and getting a better understanding of when to use them.
    My stuff.Canon 5DMk11 Canon 40d BG-E2N Canon 17/40 F.4 L
    Canon 400 F5.6 L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashey View Post
    I went with the Z series bought from Quality Cameras they are bigger 6" x 4" they do the job ok by the time they are u/s I might have saved enough for a few Singh Ray filters but this is not a cheap hobby /profession so going with the cokin for starters is a good way to practice using filters and getting a better understanding of when to use them.
    how do they fit with your UWA (siggy 10-20) I have the same set-up and am very interested to know. Can you shoot at 10mm with them?

Any how much did the whole setup cost?

cheers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123