User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: long shutter speed night shot help needed 14-06-2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

long shutter speed night shot help needed 14-06-2010

1 night time shot tripod with shutter release used can anyone please tell me what these purple blotches are

heres specs

camera-canon 1000d
    mode-manual
    exp time 62
    fstop 22
    metering mode cntr weight avrg
    50mm lens
    iso 100

all thanks appreciated

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They may be lights that are very faint to your eye but the sensor has picked them up, or they might be reflections. Is the front element of your lens clean? Was it a cool night, could there have been any moisture droplets forming on the lens?
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i suspect the purple blotches are a kind of "lens flare".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look like internal lens reflections, pretty common...
    Andrew.
    comments and criticisms are always appreciated.
    Unless I post into the "NOT FOR CRITIQUE" section then the above doesn't apply.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely look like flare to me. Did you, perchance, have an UV filter on the lens ?
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day JC

What you are seeing are Lens Refractions ... an extremely common feature within every lens on the planet, where that lens is 'seeing' very bright points of light at various locations (across the viewfinder)

If you read the/your lens specs it will say something like "24-105mm zoom lens consisting of 18 elements in 13 groups"

ie: you have several bits of glass that are glued in 2s or 3s, and you have 13 'chunks' that may be a single bit of glass, or 2-3 bits of glass glued into one. Whatever it is, you have 13 x 2sides = 26 very highly polished glass surfaces to reflect light in & around the lens ... as well as permitting 99.99% of the light to go straight thru and onto the sensor/film

The very bright spot is bounced around inside the camera lens - and it eventually reaches the sensor. The colour of the 'blob' mostly comes from the colour of the anti-reflective coating !!! on whichever bit of glass is doing the reflecting

In nearly all cases of this I have seen over the years, the blob is exactly as you have created ... where the purple blob is close to the originating light, and goes off diagonally - often outwards towards the edge

Hope this helps a bit
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/