Hi Jim,

I use a Coolscan 5000 ED, mainly because it allows me to batch scan. It allows me to scan 7cm of slides at a time, thus depending on how thick my frames are (some are paper, some are plastic), I generally get somewhere between 40 - 70 slides at a time through the unit.

It also does an infrared scan, thus it picks up any dust and scratches on the slide and removes the problem.

I must admit that I am not 100% thrilled with the colours it produces straight out of the box with slides, so some post processing for white balance is generally required. It all depends on how fussy you are though. I personally am incredible fussy, probably more so than most people. With negatives it actually does a pretty good job straight out of the box. It will read strips of film / slides too, not just framed slides.

A standard 35mm neg / slide is scanned at around 20MP, so there is lots of room for cropping and manipulation. I scan all my slides at 16bpp Tif and save them as jpg's after I am completely satisfied with the result. This photo I posted here was taken from a 24 year old slide. http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ad.php?t=57061