Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best general use macro lens

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Others can hopefully confirm this for me but I believe the minimum focussing distance is also from the film/sensor plane, not the front of the lens so the working distance is even shorter.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the most important thing for you to do is go in and try them.

I went in a tried both the 90mm and the 60mm. The 60 is definately a better lens in that it is sharper, faster and has that lower f stop. It'll also be great as a general walk around since it's not too narrow.

I bought the 90mm (mainly due to price) but the 60mm is significantly more expensive. If you wanted to still do macro stuff (especially with bugs) I've found even the 90mm lacking in magnification, so it'll probably be a good idea to invest in some kenko tubes or similar for macro anyways!

but at the end of the day, TRY THEM!!
    NIGH -KON

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is what I have settled on, the tamron 60mm and some tubes, the 60mm is just amazing, the photos that are on display in the macro section of the fly are just mind blowing IMHO, at around $600 off ebay it has me over the 90mm @ $450 0r the Nikon 105mm @ $1000.

Thanks again for all the opinions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes swifty, manufacturers generally measure focus distance from the film plane, not the front of the lens.

With normal lenses, the depth of field dramatically reduces as the focal length increased. I went for a 60mm macro lens because I was worried that a 105mm macro lens would have a smaller DOF and thus make it even harder to get the whole insect in focus. Is that a valid concern, or does a 180mm macro have the same DOF as a 60mm macro when both are shot at 1:1 magnification and same f stop?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JorgD View Post
    does a 180mm macro have the same DOF as a 60mm macro when both are shot at 1:1 magnification and same f stop?
    Rough answer: YES. Same depth of field for the same framing, regardless of focal length. For the same magnification, all focal lengths give the same depth of field

More accurate answer: NOT EXACTLY. The rule above (same framing = same DOF regardless of focal length) is always true at longer subject distances. Where the focal length is large relative to the subject distance, however, the rule above does not apply. So, at macro distances, the rule is invalid. There is no simple rule for this circumstance, and different lenses - even different-design lenses of the same focal length - give different results. Frankly, I can look at the maths and feel my eyes glaze over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tannin for trying to explain it and now still not leaving me with a clear indication if the 180mm macro would have a significantly smaller DOF than the 60mm macro at 1:1 magnification

But thanks for pointing it out for longer focal lengths, I had not thought about it in terms of framing. I just noticed that my 10mm lens had way more depth of field than my 200mm lens when both shot at f5.6, but then again, they never had the same framing of course.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 1:1 the DoF will be practically the same at the same aperture on both the 60 & 180. The framing or perspective will be different though.

Cheers
    Leigh
    Nikon D600, 24-70, 300 VR1 2.8, Tamron 60 f2 macro + Kenko tubes. SB800.

My Nikonians Gallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to that site :

http://www.citiwideonline.com/au

and the price is very very good. D90 body is only for $860!
    has anyone else bought from this site?

too bad they dont sell tripod
    Nikon D90 + Nikkor 35mm f1.8

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90mm tammy is probably the best vfm.

i use a 55mm nikkor micro tho.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12