User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I print what my monitor shows?

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wattsgallery View Post
    Hi Jo

The above is a really good first tip. LCD monitors can be extremely bright and you really notice it when you print or even move an image to another screen. I need to turn my screen brightness to 0 to even get close to print 'brightness' - this is before worrying about all the other issues. Note also that some screen calibrators wont address a brightness issue so if you are going to use one then make sure it does.

Good luck.
    Josh
    and people tend to crank the contrast right up on LCD monitors too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget some printers use different ink for photos and general printing !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Have a look at the T&C in the fine print that came with your Spyder. I was going to get a couple of Spyders for AP and rent them out to members, but the T&C states you cannot rent the device out (it may have changed since I checked). At the time I contacted Colorvision direct and it was made very clear that I should not buy some to rent out.
    Interesting... questions the legality of;

http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-Bu...AdIdZ222803570

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JzB View Post

There are lots of posts on gumtree (owned by ebay if I am not mistaken ) that could be called legally questionable.
    The very fact that that advertiser is trying to instil the belief that a calibrator ( brand and model not disclosed ) will cost you $1200.00 might be legally questionable on its own.
    The other side of it where they offer to use THEIR legally licensed machine/s on a temporary basis on someone else's computer is far too complex a legal issue to be even speculated on by us mere mortal internet warriors.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JzB View Post

I was going to buy some for AP and rent them out to members. I enquired with colorvision and was succinctly advised that renting out their gear breached the conditions of use in the fine print. So unless colorvision have changed their terms of use policy, the gumtree ad is illegal!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    printing at home with an inkjet is one thing, but if you are after archival prints from your digital files, then at some stage you will likely get some wet prints from a pro lab. you will therefore need to get their colour profile from them, and use this in conjunction with your calibrated monitor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found the photo kiosks at major chain stores are very cost effective (ie .17c 4x6, .35c 5x7) and will produce far superior results to a standard home printer and they usually have an 'optimise for printing' filter you can do when you import your photo's into them that bump up the contrast and brightness to make the prints look closer to what you have in mind.
    Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. ~Scott Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i vouch for the sypder - really good way to ensure your monitor is calibrating correctly!

CAMERA | NikonD90
    LENS | Nikkor 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 DX VR + 70-200 f/2.8 VR + 17-55 f/2.8 DX + 105 f/2.8 VR + 50 f/1.8D
    FLASH | 2x SB900s + SB800 + PocketWizards
    WEB | INFINITE DREAMS PHOTOGRAPHY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    The simple version....

1. Calibrate your monitor
    See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...445#post232445 for more info

2. Only use the sRGB colour space (esp. as a hobbyist)

3. Do a test print with various print places until you find one that is close to your calibrated monitor
    I couldn't view the link without making my first post - I'm REALLY leaning towards NOT printing at home after reading all these posts though! :-/ Thanks for the info everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12