Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on AUTOMATIC mode

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    debs, its true who cares how you shoot.
    But I feel that by entering into creative modes you become the artist and develop a more personal
    relationship with your camera and more satisfaction long term. Nothing wrong with a good challenge.
    CC is welcomed & appreciated

5d Mark II

Photography by nature is spiritual, considering it comes from the darkness to show the light.
    - Kevin Russo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you Chilli , but the op asked if it's a waste of time uploading photos taken in auto. We all have different levels of experience with our cameras and I don't think that a photo taken in auto is any less "worthy" than a photo taken in manual mode.

7D / 15-85 IS / 50mm f/1.8 II / 400d, Twin lens kit / 580EX II / Velbon Tripod

27" iMac i7 / Aperture 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, let's put into perspective creative control

to me auto on a camera chooses two main settings automatically, the shutter speed and the apperture

you still get to control :

light
    timing
    composition
    sharpness
    post processing

To be truthful, shutter speed and appeture for he majority of shots aren't even that important (relatively)
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    so, let's put into perspective creative control

to me auto on a camera chooses two main settings automatically, the shutter speed and the apperture

you still get to control :

light
    timing
    composition
    sharpness
    post processing

To be truthful, shutter speed and appeture for he majority of shots aren't even that important (relatively)

soooooory

but thats not true...
    if the camera is automatically setting the speed and aperature, then you dont have a control over the sharpness (possible shaky hands with a long exposure) or the light (a bright spot in the shot over compensates the rest of the shot)... as it has decided what is "best" in the situation...

at least in Program mode, you can shift the exposure compensation...

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still consider myself a newbie at this, and very much use the auto mode, but when i have the time, i try to learn a new bit with the manual mode, today was about shutter speed and trying to slow the motion down, but I still mostly use the auto to get the shot, then play with manual if I have the time.

All the best

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And remember, when you look at those photos in your post processing program you can look at the shutter/aperture etc used and that gives you an idea of what type of settings you can set in Manual mode. Then you can experiment with bracketing etc
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a beginner too but i decided to skip using auto mode and start on programmable mode. It is basically the same but forced me to take a little bit of control over settings such as flash and iso.

Then I moved on to semi auto motes (shutter priority) and took plenty of crap photos photos at first but I think it really helped me get a grasp of what everything means. I am now confident using manual mode for still life photos that dont matter if I stuff it up, but still often take a shot in programmable mode first to see what the camera would do in the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having more control over settings can be great, but a photo isn't less beautiful, wonderful, or worthy of praise because you used an automatic setting. Show it off!

I got to work at a charity teaching photography to groups that wouldn't normally get a chance to learn it. Some amazing works came from people with down syndrome. They were utterly, utterly stunning, and they were all taken on auto settings. You can have the most advanced camera on earth, but complicated isn't everything. Sometimes the best shot comes from auto, because those people so busy trying to organise the settings miss out on the shot.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll say it again... The AP NTP learning plan say to start with Auto mode !!
    The plan then incrementally introduces other modes.
    At the end someone who has completed the self paced plan will know which mode to use and when.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly think that Auto is the best way to start until you are comfortable with all of your buttons and knobs. I personally didn't stay on Auto for very long as I was doing a photography course at an evening college and was encouraged to start using manual mode. I found that using manual mode taught me the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO that I wasn't understanding when using Auto. I very rarely use Auto now but there have been a few times when I have missed a photographic opportunity fumbling around trying to get my exposure right.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool amateur photographers

my opinion is that as an amateur photographer (myself) pictures taken in auto mode usually turn out better for me than ones taken in manual modes. hopefully as my photography skills increase i can take better pictures in manual.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never consider what mode was used but more the setting, ISO, aperture etc. Used auto for about 1 week I think, but to be honest, I learnt much more going to AV prioty, shutter priority and manaul and suggest to not waste too much time on auto.

Mike
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    I'll say it again... The AP NTP learning plan say to start with Auto mode !!
    The plan then incrementally introduces other modes.
    At the end someone who has completed the self paced plan will know which mode to use and when.
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonNellie View Post
    I certainly think that Auto is the best way to start until you are comfortable with all of your buttons and knobs. I personally didn't stay on Auto for very long as I was doing a photography course at an evening college and was encouraged to start using manual mode. I found that using manual mode taught me the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO that I wasn't understanding when using Auto. I very rarely use Auto now but there have been a few times when I have missed a photographic opportunity fumbling around trying to get my exposure right.
    Have to agree with both thought patterns here:

I started in AUTO mode and focused on composition rather than any of the techy stuff just to try and make interesting shots then went to a workshop or 2 and gradually learnt about M and AV and TV over time. Incremental learning worked for me and allowed me to have some fun (jagged a couple of nice shots along the way) at the same time..

You won't learn much about creating a shot in AUTO but it will get you started on the journey..
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieTraveller View Post
    G'day elGrando & others

As I have noted on other threads, I travel thru rural / eastern Oz running Digital Photo Workshops. In these workshops I find that 70% of students are using Auto for all their picture taking. The first thing I get them to do is to go to Program mode

elGrando - I suggest that just for a start, set Program immediately ... the camera uses the same settings as Auto but the camera now shows you the exposure settings in use (whereas in Auto mode, you do not see these settings). As you take your pix, you will now see the various shutter speeds and lens apertures that the camera is selecting for you

Give it a little while and then you will have a better idea for the Aperture settings to go for (when you want more or less Depth of Field) OR the Shutter speed settings to go for (when you want to freeze motion or show motion)

And all of it will help your improved picture taking

Hope this helps a bit
    Regards, Phil
    Great idea, P mode also unlocks -/+ EV which allows you some control while still keeping the camera in auto mode....

If auto works for you there is nothing wrong with it. As time progresses you'll become more comfortable with the other modes which allow you to get shots even in situations where auto would not do what you want...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use which ever mode you find produces the images you want. Having said that don't stay on auto for too long, the semi auto modes give you much more control.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've always gone P&S on auto!... since trying my brother's SLR... i'm hooked, so much to learn!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ha ha thank god for auto until learn how to use those manual buttons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im new to photography and i used auto sometimes to see what the camera sets itself to and them put it on manual and adjust the setting to get different shots.

its also great for when i hand it to my partner, she can just snap away and not have to do any adjusting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Av is Auto

Hey,

I know this thread is about the viability of using auto mode, but I wanted to extend it a little and suggest that most 'pros' would classify Av (aperture) mode as auto. What do people here think about that? I am not a pro by any means, but I find that I only dip into manual mode for long exposures or things of that nature, and use Av mode for everything.

David

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axler8 View Post
    Hey,

I know this thread is about the viability of using auto mode, but I wanted to extend it a little and suggest that most 'pros' would classify Av (aperture) mode as auto. What do people here think about that? I am not a pro by any means, but I find that I only dip into manual mode for long exposures or things of that nature, and use Av mode for everything.

David
    Nope. I call AV/A more and Tv/S mode 'Semi-Auto'. Note that Av mode is only Canon, other brands call them A (aperture) and S(shutter) modes
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast