Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5D vs 5D Mark II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darylcheshire View Post
    I...
    The old 5D has the Digic3 and the MkII has the Digic4. I think the 7D has two Digic4 processors. I haven't noticed anything between the two except the Mk II has face recognition etc.

Daryl.
    5D classic is Digic II.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers thanks for all the info guys, good to hear peoples experiences and opinions!
    Cheers, Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thread here

I've recently upgraded from a 5D to a 5D2, and agree with most of the points above.
    The 5D2 is definitely a more usuable body, the high ISO performance is good as are the upgraded features such as larger LCD, microfocus adjustments, live view etc.

However, i still really like the way the Digic II renders images from the 5D....they just seem more contrasty and sharper. The images are definitely cleaner up to about 640 ISO too.
    I agree with Nisstrust about the shutter sound too, i miss that crisper sounding shutter sound.
    I really regret selling off my 5D classic and im even seeking to find another one if a good deal eventuates...
    Canon User

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had 50D, sold it and upgraded to 5D II, very happy - the only thing I am missing very rarely is the crop factor for the long lenses (you can still crop on 5D II but pixel wise is not the same). I have 200mm, which on crop factor becomes 320mm, plus 1.4x converter is mighty 450mm. On my 5D II even with the converter is 280mm, quite a difference for these long shots.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, the crop factor isn't an issue because I will keep the 50D as a backup... ISO performance is really what I am after, Im tempted to get a new 5DMKII...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mercho View Post
    Thanks guys, the crop factor isn't an issue because I will keep the 50D as a backup... ISO performance is really what I am after, Im tempted to get a new 5DMKII...

wait until end of June for the end of financial yr sales mate, always heaps of good offers, if u are after Aus retail stock that is. Otherwise, grey import will always be cheaper

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    wait until end of June for the end of financial yr sales mate, always heaps of good offers, if u are after Aus retail stock that is. Otherwise, grey import will always be cheaper
    Thanks Jackie, I think I prob will. Yeah I want Aus stock and a bit of local warranty

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bluddy hell Brad, haven't you bought one yet?

You know you want it.
    You know they are a damn good camera.
    You are young and well over paid.
    Think of the photos you could have taken in the 2 days this thread has been running.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha your not helping my financial situation Andrew!!

I spend to much money on motorbikes, Ill be in debt until im 500yrs old! But i do want one, ill see what the bank has to say

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the 5DII. The one main reason is that you can crop to an inch of its life without too much loss of resolution. 21MP is a lot to play with. I had the 5D for a couple of years but the 5DII is far better IMHO.

Sheila

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila Smart View Post
    Another vote for the 5DII. The one main reason is that you can crop to an inch of its life without too much loss of resolution. 21MP is a lot to play with. I had the 5D for a couple of years but the 5DII is far better IMHO.

Sheila
    Thanks Sheila, quick question regarding your set up. How do you find the 24-70 vs the 100mm 2.8 in relation to portraits on the FF?

I have also been thinking if I get a FF camera, I was thinking of selling the 100mm 2.8 and getting a better portrait lens, like a 70-200 2.8 or something..

Arghh there is so much gear i want

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I guess I should mention that as of last night, I am the proud new owner of a 5D MkII (thank you most wonderful husband!). Less than 24 hours in and I love it already. Brad - go for it!!
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Well I guess I should mention that as of last night, I am the proud new owner of a 5D MkII (thank you most wonderful husband!). Less than 24 hours in and I love it already. Brad - go for it!!
    haha Wicked! Will be good to see some shots posted with it Jules!! Let us know how it goes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If ISO performance is what your after you will be totally and completely blown away by the 5DmkII.
    I'm still amazed with IQ of the photos I come home with. Even after cropping them(birds).
    If the light is low I'll use ISO 1600 if I have to and I'll still get great quality images. ISO 800 and I can crop by like 100%. I never use NR in PP, never needed to.

You'll love it so much you'll take it to bed with you and hold it ever so tight. Well I do!!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrDooba View Post
    You'll love it so much you'll take it to bed with you and hold it ever so tight. Well I do!!
    Excellent! It can double as a replacement to the misuses... Just kidding Jess

In all seriousness I have been persuaded to get the MKII, just need to wrangle some Johnny to buy it with!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had our Canon Finance approved and have a 10 day quote for a 5D mark II and a few lenses. Our supplier tells me that Canon had a price drop on the 5D yesterday. I guess they will announce this at PMA.
    Capture moments and share your memories

Print it or lose it

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mercho View Post
    Thanks Sheila, quick question regarding your set up. How do you find the 24-70 vs the 100mm 2.8 in relation to portraits on the FF?

I have also been thinking if I get a FF camera, I was thinking of selling the 100mm 2.8 and getting a better portrait lens, like a 70-200 2.8 or something..

Arghh there is so much gear i want
    I have rarely used the 100 f/2.8 as a portrait lens. I use it more for catching the wildlife on our veranda. The 24-70 is more or less my "walkabout" (although I don't like that term!) lens and is rarely off my 5DII but again, I rarely use it for portraits per se. Of course, if you really want the very best "portrait" lens, you cannot go past the Canon 135 f/2 L. It has to be Canon's best but as a prime, is fairly restrictive in its uses. It is a lens which is the only one that has scored 10/10 in a review (which I cannot recall at the moment). It is rated extremely high at Fred Miranda's review section. I bought mine from a friend about seven years ago and it has been a superb lens. I have found that the 70-200 f/4 L IS to be an excellent portrait lens. This shot I sold to National Geo Traveler magazine

Cheers
    Sheila

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've shot with a 5D since 2006, and a few weeks ago upgraded to the 5D Mark II out of necessity.

Having owned both 5D models, the current model offers some nice improvements over the original, such as higher resolution, some weather sealing, DiG!C 4, live view, sensor cleaning and HD video mode, not to mention a much nicer LCD screen, and a separate focus button which allows you to separate metering from focusing (via the shutter release) if you're a focus-and-recompose shooter.

Traditionally I've never been excited by sensor cleaning, live view and video, but they do have their uses, and while I wouldn't buy a camera specifically to get those features, I lose nothing by having them.

They seem to be standard these days.

As far as low-light performance, I don't think you'd by disappointed by either. Having said that, ironically I am a low-ISO shooter; but when I need the high ISOs, it's good to have a camera which can deliver.

I'm sure a Mark III is on the way, but for what I do, having the latest technology isn't necessary, and just as my 5D had a lot of life in her and brought me many pleasing images, so, too, will my new 5D Mark II.

Naturally I haven't had enough time behind the 5D Mark II to compare it to its predecessor, but I'd expect its performance to be superior.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 29-05-2010 at 1:03pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mercho,

If you haven't read Bryan Cathathan's review of the 5D Mark II, I'd encourage you to do. It covers a lot of ground and indicates that the 5D Mark II superior to its predecessor both in resolution (which we knew) and noise.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ra-Review.aspx

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheila thats a great shot! I have fone a bit of reading on the 135mm and it looks like a great prime! Fairly well priced too..

Xenedis, thanks for the info! I skimmed over the review and it has a very in depth comparison! Looks good! I have pretty much made my mind up to put in the extra $ and go the MKII, hopefully that price drop comes soon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast