Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5D vs 5D Mark II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5D vs 5D Mark II

Hey Guys,

Did a bit of a search on the topic and couldn't really find anything so here goes...

I am after a bit of advice from AP members, I know there are a lot of people on the forum that have upgraded from a 5d to a 5D Mark II, and I wanted to get some opinions..

I have seriously been considering upgrading to a 5D MKII (feel free to talk me out of it! ) or a 5D Mk1. I really want a full frame body..

I currently have a 50D, 17-40, 24-70 and 100mm macro, all EF lenses (as I have planned to eventually go FF), and I have been considering buying an UWA in place of my 17-40, however I would also like better ISO performance. I have found anywhere over 400iso on the 50D is pretty bad, and I have heard the 5D's are a lot better (especially the MKII)...
    Hence rather than buying a new lens, i thought I may as well make the jump to FF if that make sense, from what i can see there are a lot of benefits?

My question is, do you guys think I am better off going straight to the 5D MKII, or will I notice an improvement (mainly ISO) with just the MK1. Which ever way I go I plan on keeping the 50D as a backup body... Or do you think I should just forget it and keep the 50D?

Sorry I know this topic comes up a fair bit, but just wanted to get some opinions

Sorry if this is all over the place as well, its too early

Cheers
    Cheers, Brad

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5D vs 5D Mark II

Go straight to mkii. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Seriously, it is worth it for the iso performance (fantastic), for live view (could not now live without it for on tripod focussing) and for video ( I believe - haven't done much with it myself yet)
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------
    Olympus OM-1, EM-1, Canon 5DMkII, and a few other bits and bobs

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolie21 View Post
    Go straight to mkii. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Seriously, it is worth it for the iso performance (fantastic), for live view (could not now live without it for on tripod focussing) and for video ( I believe - haven't done much with it myself yet)
    haha yeah my bank account will hate me though

But I agree, the MKII does seem like a hell of a lot better camera. In saying that the video functionality is something I really don't need...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been giving this quite a lot of thought lately Brad and I'm going to go straight to the MkII, precisely for the reasons Alan outlined above. I need clean high ISO for the shooting I'm doing and I'll be using ISO 3200+ quite a lot, so the MkII has the edge there. I also want the extra MP and the video functionality of the MkII, and I really wouldn't want to give up Live View.

It all depends on your style of shooting though - do you need really high ISO, or just clean ISO in the 400-1600 range? Do you want/need Live View? Do you want the extra MP of the Mk II? The 5D is apparently a gorgeous camera and would be a considerable upgrade on the 50D, so I guess you just need to decide if you need the extra functionality of the MkII.

I guess another element would be that if you get the original 5D, there'd be some money left over for new glass...
    Canon DSLRs & lenses | Fuji X series & lenses | Ricoh GR

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I've been giving this quite a lot of thought lately Brad and I'm going to go straight to the MkII, precisely for the reasons Alan outlined above. I need clean high ISO for the shooting I'm doing and I'll be using ISO 3200+ quite a lot, so the MkII has the edge there. I also want the extra MP and the video functionality of the MkII, and I really wouldn't want to give up Live View.

It all depends on your style of shooting though - do you need really high ISO, or just clean ISO in the 400-1600 range? Do you want/need Live View? Do you want the extra MP of the Mk II? The 5D is apparently a gorgeous camera and would be a considerable upgrade on the 50D, so I guess you just need to decide if you need the extra functionality of the MkII.

I guess another element would be that if you get the original 5D, there'd be some money left over for new glass...
    Yeah some good points Jules!

I am really after clean ISO in the 400-1600 range, is the 5D Mk1 that much less superior in that range than the mk2? Live view would also be something that I would miss after having it on the 50D, good in tricky situations..

Decisions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't buy the now old tech in the MKi.

do a bit of future proofing if you are going to spend the beans. I haven't looked but what is the price difference between a used MKi (assuming you don't know where to get a new one these days) and a used/new MKII?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not shooting video or at 3200+ ISO all the time, then the 5D classic will do you proud. I still shoot with one every day alongside my 1D mk IV. I'd take one over two 50Ds any day.

With the price of the mk II now though, you may as well just go for it if you have the cash. It's a seriously good buy.

Bear in mind if you go for the mk II, the files are huge. You need some serious computing power for it not to drive you round the bend trying to process them. It takes me noticeably longer to get through a set when I've borrowed a mk II, just waiting for my Mac to churn through the images.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James T View Post
    ...Bear in mind if you go for the mk II, the files are huge. You need some serious computing power for it not to drive you round the bend trying to process them. It takes me noticeably longer to get through a set when I've borrowed a mk II, just waiting for my Mac to churn through the images.
    James make a good point there. Depending what your setup is at present, you might also need to factor in some computer upgrades as well as the cost of the new MkII.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah good points, i have a fair bit of Pc power/storage so that's not an issue... What's the classic like at 1600? Really torn at the momnt, and I dont want to be double upgrading lol

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah good points, i have a fair bit of Pc power/storage so that's not an issue... What's the classic like at 1600? Really torn at the momnt, and I dont want to be double upgrading lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will be fine regarding power of your desktop unless you are using a laptop. Even though the files are larger, processing time isnt that much longer - theyre not 300mb TIFF files so its alright. You honestly dont need serious PC or Mac power - Ive got a 3 yr old comp here, 2 gigs of ram, duo core, and some older components. The difference between my 1DsMKII files and 5DMKII file processing times on Lightroom is not that much noticeable between the 2. Unless I open them up in ACR for CS4 then it drags on a bit longer, due to it being a ram hungry hog.

Re. ISO you will notice a big diff at 1600 between the MKII and classic. The MKII high ISO is more smoother and has less chroma noise also. Another point is that the classic is sharper right out of the camera - due to having a weak AA filter, that and the original 1Ds produces some of the sharpest photos with the right lenses for Canon due to having the weakest AA filters.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through that last year and opted for the 5d MkII. You'll have buckleys finding a new MkI these days.

Although video may not be something you think you'll need, it is very handy to have it available.
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Dave. I spent a while looking for a really good 5D classic but they are rare and people know they are worth a bit which narrows the gap enough on a new 5DII.
    Check out my new site - www.wattsgallery.com - feedback welcome

Gear - Canon 5D, 40D, 10-22, 24-70 2.8L, 200 2.8L, 50 1.8, 430EXII

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info guys, might have to be a 5D MKII if the bank allows it :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5dmkII for sure i have one, i also had a 1dsmkII which could also be a option ? if ur not shooting video or using high iso i was happy with the image quality of the 1dsmk2, others on here may disagree but hey
    |Gear|Canon 5D MkII + Grip |Canon 7D + Grip |Canon 580EXII x 3|Canon EF Fisheye 15mm F/2.8 |Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L Mk II | |Canon EF 400mm F/5.6L |Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS |Canon EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS |Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro |Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 MK II |Sekonic L-358 Lightmeter |Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod + 322RC2 Head |Manfrotto 628B Monopod | Wireless Remote Flash Trigger PT-04 CN & 5 Receivers| Plus Too Much More (Filters Ect)
    Chris | http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119829358036800 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisprendergast |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the sound of the 5D classic's shutter, does that count?
    "Knowledge is a single point, but the ignorant have multiplied it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this looks new.... is flee-bay though.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CANON-EOS-5D-...item2a0751d17e

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered the 1DsMKII - be careful - once the 1 series bug bites you there is no going back. There as some seriously good deals going on the 1DsMKII at the moment. Just remember there is a bit of extra weight in these cameras so it may come down to what you use it for.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wattsgallery View Post
    I spent a while looking for a really good 5D classic but they are rare and people know they are worth a bit which narrows the gap enough on a new 5DII.
    I was looking (impatiently...) for a 5d classic, by the time I bought it, I could have spent a little extra and got the mark 2.

Didnt need video (got a 7d for that if I wanted to use it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both and on the 5D MkII I like the way ISO (set to automatic) will rise if the light level falls. Good for those f/5.6 telephotos.
    It also has the feature where highlights and lowlights can be evened out. I found it subtle but I need to explore that further.
    I seldom use the movie feature and didn't get it for that.
    If you don't want the large file size, select a smaller image or more compression.
    It also has the cleaning feature whereas the old 5D doesn't. I read the old 5D is notorious for dust but I've been careful and I don't think I've had too many dust issues. (haven't checked recently, nothing obvious)
    The old 5D has the Digic3 and the MkII has the Digic4. I think the 7D has two Digic4 processors. I haven't noticed anything between the two except the Mk II has face recognition etc.

Daryl.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast