Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the D90 dead??

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Calx ... the CPL is still the real reason. The D40 is a good camera but at 6Mp is a bit dated.
    Get yourself a D300s or a D90 !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    @Calx ... the CPL is still the real reason. The D40 is a good camera but at 6Mp is a bit dated.
    Get yourself a D300s or a D90 !
    Oh, silly me - the pixels are *old*, and that's why it's not as good as it used to be! (but they're *Nikon* pixels!!)

The 300s is out of the question - my missus would recognise that it's a different camera. The D90, on the other hand, looks sufficiently similar to the D40 that I could get away with it...

Regards,
    Calx
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Calx, your a crackup!
    I am still using the D40 too

BTW everyone. if you have a D300, D700, or D90 you are better off just giving it away. It's terribly outdated. Please send them all to me... If you want to want to give me one PM me and I'll give kyou my postal address.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ps:

go d40 power!

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ving View Post
    Ps:

go d40 power!
    Pffft, my D50 at least drives REAL lenses.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    real, old lenses!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Pffft, my D50 at least drives REAL lenses.
    Huh? with such old pixels, it's a wonder you can see anything. Mind you, being able to take sepia-effect photos straight out of the camera might be beneficial in some circumstances...

Regards,
    Calx

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calxoddity View Post
    Huh? with such old pixels, it's a wonder you can see anything.
    Yeah I know, I am sure I am starting to see gaps in between the pixels on 12x18 prints these days.
    Can you get new pixels from ebay or somewhere like that?

Anyway, back to the original topic, the present D90 is a bloody good camera and even if it became superceded in 15 minutes time, one bought today at a bargain price is still going to be taking excellent photos in 5 or 10 years time.

That is a fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I would like to know why as well? Certainly some will, but talk to bird and wildlife photographers, and the crop factor of a smaller APS-C sized sensor is a boon to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Summarising Rick's post !!

Why? This thread explains it all in regard to wildlife.

And I could say that if your really serious about portrait, studio and landscape work then
    something like the Pentax 645D 40Mp medium format is the way to go.
    (For reasons in Tannin's thread above in a different scenario)

Here is what i wrote earlier

"Most people will eventually upgrade to full frame sooner or later if they are committed to this hobby."

That's why i said "most people" the keyword here, i didn't say "everyone" will upgrade to full frame. I believe i cover myself quite well here....

I've have a question, are you guys using full frame body yourself at the moment or thinking of upgrading to full frame??? If so, why?

And my answer to why "most people" will upgrade to full frame. It's quite simple really, it's because we're human. It's the same reason people upgrade to 1080p LCD panels from CRT, bigger house, 600cc motobike to 1000cc bikes etc etc...

Why? because we want the latest and greatest.... That's WHY....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change the "most" to "some" and I will agree with you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, going on that theory cafezeenuts, we would all be using medium format digital backs.

I use both cropped sensor and full frame bodies, both have their place and I use the best body for the job at hand. My issue with your post is that if someone else who is new to photography read it, they would assume that the only upgrade path was to full frame, when that is incorrect. We have a lot of members here who are committed to photography (much more than as a hobby) and don't use full frame sensor cameras.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cafezeenuts View Post
    Here is what i wrote earlier

"Most people will eventually upgrade to full frame sooner or later if they are committed to this hobby."

And my answer to why "most people" will upgrade to full frame. It's quite simple really, it's because we're human. It's the same reason people upgrade to 1080p LCD panels from CRT, bigger house, 600cc motobike to 1000cc bikes etc etc...

Some may follow that path mate but I think that you will find that "most people committed to this hobby" think long and hard before making any decisions on camera gear and don't do it because it is the latest "fad".

Seeing as you are new here and don't know some of the history of the members and their habits I will fill in my personal details.

I don't have a TV, my last motorbike purchase was a 400+cc step down in capacity and I haven't finished building this house so I won't be upgrading any time soon.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah.

People downgrade homes, vehicles etc. for any number of reasons.
    Explain Prius drivers?
    (They are ugly, not really that environmental (factor in CO2 in producing them) and once you get to 6 years old you have to pay $16k to buy new batteries)

Latest and greatest? or best for the job!
    As per the link I gave ... cropped sensor are the best for wildlife, and do very well for sports.

Another example: If people wanted the latest and greatest why netbooks?
    Slow, small screen, not much storage. They are (in some circumstances) convenient.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we are on the subject....

Full Frame (meaning equivalent to 35mm (135) format) is a silly misnomer.

In the film days 135 format film (24×36 mm) was a step down from the 120 format film that preceded it.

120 (typically 56 × 41.5mm) is what we call medium format
    (which is strange as the digital version is 44mm x 33mm)
    and since when is Medium bigger than 'Full' anyway

Large format usually 4x5 and 8x10 inches (20x25 cm) and other variations. Again Large is MUCH bigger than 'Full'.

So the reality is that Full Frame is really a bit of silly marketing hype to make you spend more on cameras.

APS (C, P, and H) were also film sizes before digital.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What have I done LOL

My inquiry should have been:

If this is the end of the D90 as we know and love it the same way we love our D40 and D70 for the measly saving of $200 cash back would others be willing to wait and see what the D90 replacement will be ? And what the replacement may have or not have

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know where you guys are coming from, maybe i should change from "most to "some". Upgrade or not its really horses for courses for most things...

As for vehicles diesel FTW and NETbooks it's Vaio X-series, or if you want more ponys the Z series 13.1 screen, i7 and under 1.5kg...

At the end of the day it comes down to cash available to burn...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day it comes down to cash available to burn...
    Nup, it comes down to research and buying the best device for the job you want it to do.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lensbaby View Post

What have I done LOL

My inquiry should have been:

If this is the end of the D90 as we know and love it the same way we love our D40 and D70 for the measly saving of $200 cash back would others be willing to wait and see what the D90 replacement will be ? And what the replacement may have or not have
    What have you done?
    Simply opened a topic up for discussion and certainly no harm doing that.

As for waiting to see what the D90 update has in the way of features etc. over the present model then I guess you had better wait and see what the update of the update has to offer in case you miss out on something there as well.

I don't think it will be the end of the D90 as we know it. It fills a role within Nikon's marketing line up that is a quite a good money earner and I really can't see them killing a model that consistently sells well just as the D80 did under the D200 and the D50 did under the D70 etc. etc.

There will probably be improvements to the design and functionality of it but as a part of the model range it will stay at much the same level as it is now. I think.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lensbaby View Post
    If I didn't already have a camera I'd be happy to buy a D90 now, however if I was looking to upgrade I'd wait to see what the replacement offers. The cashback itself wouldn't influence my decision. I assume the cashback is only available from authorised resellers. A quick google showed a price (body only) of $1075 after cashback from an authorised reseller and a price of $995 from a grey market shopfront (with no mention of cashback).

Having said that, I don't really know what improvements they could make to the successor and keep it at a similar pricepoint and not cannibalise sales of current higher spec models. Maybe a lot of "non-core" stuff related to video, wireless uploads, etc?

Cheers
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post

Having said that, I don't really know what improvements they could make to the successor and keep it at a similar pricepoint and not cannibalise sales of current higher spec models. Maybe a lot of "non-core" stuff related to video, wireless uploads, etc?
    An excellent question that I have pondered myself. Half an FPS in framerate? 1080p video? hardly compelling stuff. There is no significantly better sensor around to drop into it, and I would not imagine that they would put a better sensor than the D300s in there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast