Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the D90 dead??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the D90 dead??

I see their is a $200 cash back on the D90 in the past this was the start of the lead up to a replacement of a camera in that series

Any clues when the D90 "s" or what ever its name will be released

What upgrades do you think it will have ??? video with video auto-focus???
    Last edited by Mr Lensbaby; 24-05-2010 at 8:51am. Reason: add comment

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of speculation about the replacement for the D90 and the D700 ($200.00 cash back on it as well) but the only thing is for sure is that we will all know what the specs are when they are released by Nikon.

I reckon I can safely predict that the replacement will offer new features and retail at a higher initial shelf price than the model it replaces.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be tempted to lose my D3(I hardly use it) if the D700(I already have one) replacement has even better ISO performance and a faster frame rate than the current one. HD video like the D3s would be a bonus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if the $200 cashback can be seen as evidence of anything - I think that is a mechanism to drop the price in certain markets as a result of the weak American dollar without eroding the "retail" price. I bought my D90 about 8 months ago, and there was a $200 cashback on then as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI maccaroneski, I just bought the D90 and am learning to use p mode. What is your all round general lens from your collection?
    Nikon D90, Nikkor 50mm, Nikon 18 - 105mm

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be replaced by a D100

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora View Post
    HI maccaroneski, I just bought the D90 and am learning to use p mode. What is your all round general lens from your collection?
    Aurora,

Generally speaking, budget will determine everything . I'm not sure what lenses you currently have?

However I really like the Tamron 17-50: it is reasonably cheap (I paid about $750, and the equivalent Nikon is about $1500), it is a fixed 2.8 aperture, very sharp, and has Vibration compensation (Tamron speak for VR, Vibration Reduction).

If you are on a budget, I would go for a Nikon 35mm 1.8 (for a couple of hundred dollars). You will keep it in your kit forever, it has a very wide maximum aperture, and has long been the sort of lens that is recommended to beginners.

As far as general advice goes - get into the learning plans in the New to Photography section here, and get the camera off P mode!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora View Post

Best bang for bucks lens would have to be the 18 - 70

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    It will be replaced by a D100
    hahahaha or a D100s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maccaroneski View Post
    Aurora,

Generally speaking, budget will determine everything . I'm not sure what lenses you currently have?

However I really like the Tamron 17-50: it is reasonably cheap (I paid about $750, and the equivalent Nikon is about $1500), it is a fixed 2.8 aperture, very sharp, and has Vibration compensation (Tamron speak for VR, Vibration Reduction).

If you are on a budget, I would go for a Nikon 35mm 1.8 (for a couple of hundred dollars). You will keep it in your kit forever, it has a very wide maximum aperture, and has long been the sort of lens that is recommended to beginners.

As far as general advice goes - get into the learning plans in the New to Photography section here, and get the camera off P mode!
    Nothing at all wrong with using P mode - if you know why
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Nothing at all wrong with using P mode - if you know why
    exactly...i know a few pros who use P mode and they earn a truckload of money doing so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lost track of the thread there for a bit...I can't wait for th replacements for the D90 and D700 tp come in, it will mean there will be a flood of for sales on here and ebay of perfectly good cameras (D90's and 700s) which I'll gladly take off their hands. I'll take a 700 and demote my 5000 to my second camera and I'm set. There's nothing wrong with either models and very solid upgrades for us newbies to Nikon gear... Can't wait.
    Nikon D5000 / 18mm-55mm / 55mm - 200mm / Tamron 17mm - 50mm / Manfrotto 190XPROB

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been on the market for quite a long time. There were rumours that Nikon were going to drop the D90 and just make do with a D700 replacement for use with the old camera driven AF lenses. This would sadden many Nikon owners with collections of old glass.

At the moment, the D90 is at bargain prices and if you can add a $200 cashback on top of that, grab one before they are gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking around the internet the D90 replacement is a hot topic atm, i think nikon will release them towards end of the year. I have a D90 and its a great camera. Most people will eventually upgrade to full frame sooner or later if they are committed to this hobby. Unless its a full frame i don't get what the fuss is all about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluggy View Post
    lost track of the thread there for a bit...I can't wait for th replacements for the D90 and D700 tp come in, it will mean there will be a flood of for sales on here and ebay of perfectly good cameras (D90's and 700s) which I'll gladly take off their hands. I'll take a 700 and demote my 5000 to my second camera and I'm set. There's nothing wrong with either models and very solid upgrades for us newbies to Nikon gear... Can't wait.
    Sadly for people like yourself looking for bargain used D700's, I think it will still be some time before they are going cheap. They don't lose a great deal of value even once superseded, because you and many others will keep demand for them pretty high, meaning people like me who might sell one, get an excellent return on my initial purchase price.

Unless you want to carry the full size D3/s bodies about(and spend the coin accordingly), the D700 with performance almost on par with the bigger brothers makes them a desirable high ISO, FF machine for 1/2 the price.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cafezeenuts View Post
    Most people will eventually upgrade to full frame sooner or later if they are committed to this hobby. Unless its a full frame i don't get what the fuss is all about.
    Why?
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    D90 Dead. NO, there are lots of D90's out there that work perfectly. Obsolute soon maybe, but then all camera's end up obsolete after about 18 months to 2 years. Obsolete model doesn't make them faulty, or worthless.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most people will eventually upgrade to full frame sooner or later if they are committed to this hobby. Unless its a full frame i don't get what the fuss is all about.

I would like to know why as well? Certainly some will, but talk to bird and wildlife photographers, and the crop factor of a smaller APS-C sized sensor is a boon to them.

Edit ...Ah: *from another thread posted today also*

I'm new to photography but coming from Hi-Fi Audio background i always shoot in raw because i want the best possible digital data available. Just like in a studio recording all pros record in raw wav files and they can process them and convert to which ever format they wish later..
    Sorry and with all due respect, seeing you are new to photography, I feel it worth pointing out that there is a lot to learn about photography before you can make claims like that above. So I feel it is necessary to post here, so that other members reading this thread do not take your full frame comment as correct and based on sound knowledge and a wealth of valuable experience in photography.
    Last edited by ricktas; 25-05-2010 at 2:16pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading this thread, I now understand that my photos are not as good as they should be, because I'm still using a D40, and that was discontinued years ago.

That would explain why there was a sudden drop in image quality the day after the D40 was dropped from the model lineup.

I should no doubt keep this in mind when considering buying the D90 - imagine the embarassment of forking out for the D90 only to have its image quality fall after a couple of weeks, when its replacement arrives....

Meanwhile, I think I'll stay away from full-frame. I figure you only need the bigger pixels if you're not very good at using small ones. Cropping is for people that can't frame shots properly.

** For those with weak sarcasm filters, at least some of the above should be read in a sarcastic vein.

Regards,
    Calx (actually, the D40 was probably responsible for my muffed pano shot, not the circ polariser...)
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people will eventually upgrade to full frame sooner or later if they are committed to this hobby. Unless its a full frame I don't get what the fuss is all about.
    Summarising Rick's post !!

Why? This thread explains it all in regard to wildlife.

And I could say that if your really serious about portrait, studio and landscape work then
    something like the Pentax 645D 40Mp medium format is the way to go.
    (For reasons in Tannin's thread above in a different scenario)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast