User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential Brochure .. Thoughts ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you put that model on anything it works, she is the best I have seen for a long while and I absolutely loved your very first post showing shots of her.

With your skills and her look you have a very good thing going.
    Leeston

Olympus e-3
    12-60mm
    50-200mm
    11-22mm
    50mm f2

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Leeston ... much appreciated mate. Just in the early stages so will tweak it a bit yet. Cheers
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice shot, nicely handled. But the one thing that does spoil it for me is the way she is holding her left hand. Maybe you have a couple of others from the same shoot ?

Other than that its excellent. Not sure if it conveys everything you need as a basis for a brochure ? But perhaps you have more content in mind ?
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers mate ... yea I got a few more to consider. Just bouncing ideas around for now.

Back to Basics
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Darren .... I know you've said you're just throwing ideas around at the moment, and you will undoubtedly take on board what has been said already, but I'd like to offer my humble "female" perspective.

The old adage "clothes maketh the man" appears equally to women these days. And your models clothes don't do much for me at all I fear! The leggings are the first thing I noticed - the fact they show all the wrinkles (maybe intended, I don't know?), and they make the model's legs look a bit short and chunky. Not being catty here - I honestly think that particular clothing does not suit that particular model all that well.

Having seen your style of work and what you have presented here, I can reasonably guess that you are going for a bit of a "fashion/glamour" look without going overboard. I would suggest for something as long(ish) term as a brochure for YOUR photography, what ever pose, design, etc you choose, that your model has more of a "classic, timeless" look about her - and that includes the clothes she is wearing. Nothing dates more than fashion! (Until it comes around again back into fashion, that is!)
    Cheryl B.

My Stuff... Canon 6D ~ Canon Speedlite 580EXII x 2 ~ Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ Canon 50mm f1.8 ~ Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6 ~ Canon 16-35mm ~ Canon 70-200mm f2.8 ~ Photoshop CC ~ Lightroom Classic CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheryl has a point - not that I am much into fashion, I'm happiest in my fave pair of horse-riding jeans and boots.

The leggings have got to go lol There are no wrinkles on the upper thigh but lots on the lowers leg, also there are lines that run down the length of the pants that appear bowed around the same area - as gorgeous as she is, it does make her appear as though she is busting out of thehose pants even though I am sure this is not the case

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Potential Brochure .. Thoughts ??

Funny you guys are talking about her tights ... She was telling me that they are Dior and cost her $375 !!! Haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Darren, Although i have a marketing background i struggle when selling myself.
    Just a few things to think about.
    Headline - you should have a headlin to attract peoples attention and get them to read/look at the brochure.
    Although we all use our names as a business name it's really irrelevant to the reader (unless you already really famous.
    What to you do - don't assume the reader know what you do. Fashion/portrait / glamour ??

Mate struggling with the same at the moment so just somethinh more to think about...
    Jeff - Jeff D Photography
    Canon -
    http://jeffdphoto.ifp3.com/
    www.jeffdphotography.com.au

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Darren but the photo dosen't look professional enough to me - I'm sure you have some better photos.
    Lot of bits could be better (ring on finger is crooked, wrinkled jacket, fold lines in shirt, stripes in leggins don't do anything for her legs).
    I really like the whole idea, your name looks simple but great. I don't thinks you have to use "www" any more when you give a web address, they don't do it on the news or most of TV anymore.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who is your target market here? Does it include the models? The target market needs to like what they see, and potentially aspire to being as well represented as the picture on the brochure. (I'd guess I'm not the target market, so whether I like the shot or not is irrelevant.)

I don't think this is your best picture, and your best picture for your target market should be on your brochure IMO. I think things like business name, positioning, using www are side issues: what are you selling (pictures) and why buy yours (because you make people look great) - this needs to be conveyed in a glance, and IMO your best picture on the front of the brochure is the way to do that. Once you've grabbed their interest, then you need to make sure that the other side consolidates that - what you do (photography) - with a bit of why and how, where to contact you.....

It's a good start, but I think it needs more work.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post

It's a good start, but I think it needs more work.
    I really only banged this up the other day at work on the macbook, to get the opinion of the minimalism of it. Once i get further into it (regardless of what image I choose) this will be it for the front cover. One image, and the name.

All other details will go with in the centre or on the back.

Thanks again for your thoughts everyone. Its all good input.

Problem with choosing your "best" image (and i probably agree that this is not mine), is that its always subjective, and open to opinion from whoevers looking at it.

This is just a little play project at the moment so ill have a tinker and see whats up

Cheers guys
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 22-05-2010 at 9:42am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the minimalism really works - I perhaps should have made that clearer - and I'd be very wary of putting any more detail there. Grab the attention on the front with a clear, minimalist message (like you have) and the details on the back.

Oh, and choosing your best image? Hard, but I'd suggest getting some opinions from people who have already bought into your photography - since they are your target market.
    Last edited by farmer_rob; 22-05-2010 at 10:03am. Reason: comment on choosing image

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Darren

Over the years I've been involved in creating posters & flyers for my various hobby &/or business interests ... so may I offer a comment or 3

1- is this flyer going to be a hand-out or a front page for a business quote? (sort of thing)
    2- if a handout, is it A4-3 fold &, A4-2 fold? ... ie: the dimensions need to be ascertained before you start putting a beautiful young lady into place
    3- if it is to be an A4-3 fold, 2-sided brochure then certainly put your mug shot inside - people need to know who you are, beyond 'just a name'
    4- for a cover, yes she certainly grabs attention - but what is going to follow? what is inside the brochure? text or pix? etc etc

As to the image you are showing us, I would suggest either of 2 minor mods
    a) lower the text to about 1/4 up from the bottom of the page, &/or
    b) turn the text 90deg and fill the same lower part of the page

Hope this helps a bit
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Rob has hit on a really good point here - it is a great shot from someone who clearly knows what they are doing and the model is pretty (although very strangely I know where the person above was going with the MJ reference) but what are you trying to pitch? If its strictly model/fashion photography it works but may not appeal to a wider audience if relevant.

I find it a bit odd critiquing someone probably more talented but hope it helps.

Cheers
    Josh
    Last edited by wattsgallery; 23-05-2010 at 9:46pm.
    Check out my new site - www.wattsgallery.com - feedback welcome

Gear - Canon 5D, 40D, 10-22, 24-70 2.8L, 200 2.8L, 50 1.8, 430EXII

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12