Hi all,

Newcomer to the forums here and relatively new to the photography scene too (maybe 6 months now). Before I continue on with my questions/advice asking, a little bit of background is I'm trying to cover a lot more of Latin events that occur here in Sydney (though I am not Latino). I know quite a few of the event/night organisers, so attending these with a camera usually isn't an issue, plus the fact a lot of dancers aren't too shy about having their photo taken.

Now moving on. Whilst I have browsed through the web and through the forums on nightclub/dance/lowlight photography, still looking for some more advice/guides on how to shoot these events. For the moment, most a social nights, usually in a bar or club with very limited lighting, sometimes even changing lights and I have found these to be a challenge both on my ability and my gear. Mainly shoot in manual mode, sometimes Aperture mode too on ISO 800, generally without a flash (yes - harsh conditions, but I do try not to blind people half way through a move or something).

Basic review of my current gear:
Nikon D90
SB-600
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Nikon 18-105 (kit lens)
Nikon 35mm f/1.8 (awaiting delivery, "replacing" the fifty which I find a bit long)
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 (to capture whole dance floors due to cropping, or couples when up close)

When I have some time, I'll try and upload my collection onto Flickr, once I weed out 800 or so photos...process them...watermark them and finally upload them...ahem.

If anyone has any recommendations on any of this, hit me up - I'm open ears to try and improving my technique and trying out new ways of doing things.