Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: The next step ..... explosions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if it will help but I remember having a talk with one of the tech reps from a petroleum company some years ago and him saying that to have an "Explosion" you need the correct temperature and vapour concentration. We were talking about explosions at petrol stations and he said the temp needed to be min 20c and the vapour concentration 200ppm (Parts Per Million). When we sat down and worked it out it meant a warm day and a lot of spilt fuel.

Your biggest concern needs to be ambient temp. If you can get it over 20c then I think you have a better chance of getting the result you want.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterking View Post
    I don't know if it will help but I remember having a talk with one of the tech reps from a petroleum company some years ago and him saying that to have an "Explosion" you need the correct temperature and vapour concentration. We were talking about explosions at petrol stations and he said the temp needed to be min 20c and the vapour concentration 200ppm (Parts Per Million). When we sat down and worked it out it meant a warm day and a lot of spilt fuel.

Your biggest concern needs to be ambient temp. If you can get it over 20c then I think you have a better chance of getting the result you want.
    Yep , that helps a lot .
    Strangely I would have thought that with a flashpoint of -40 the bag should be full of gas but perhaps it is only a fine mist on the surface of the fluid which is why I had to have the spark so close to get ignition . So I either need to do it in summer or perhaps try LPG next time .