Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Processing RAW images::: help::::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Processing RAW images::: help::::

Hi All,
    So i decided to try and take some raw images and see what the difference is... workflow etc... Only problem is that i cannot open them.
    I am sure i am missing something easy but i cant figure it out as of yet....
    I have photoshop cs3 extended and adobe raw as a plug in, version 4.
    When i open the folder containing the images and try to open 1 of them, it says that it cannot as it is not a supported file. ( or something to that effect ) .
    Camera is a Nikon if that helps with replies.... (saves as a NEF file )

Thanks in advance

Simon.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    which Nikon? Remember that Adobe do not backwards support camera's. So a newly released camera will not be able to have its RAW files opened in an old version of Photoshop (and ACR).

In your photoshop, go to HELP, check for updates, you may need an updated version of Camera Raw.

The other alternative is to download Adobe DNG convertor and convert them from your NEF format to the open source Adobe DNG raw format: http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ what Rick said
    Also try opening them in the Nikon software that came with the camera (if any I'm not a Nikon user)if they work there you know the problem is with the PS/ACR not recognising the newer camera
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replies Rick and David. Camera is a Nikon D60, so not exactly new...... Will try the options you set out above today when time permits...
    On a side note, i dont know if it means anything but when i open the files in ps bridge, all the metadata is available, just no picture......

Thanks again

Simon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snappysi View Post
    Thanks for replies Rick and David. Camera is a Nikon D60, so not exactly new...... Will try the options you set out above today when time permits...
    On a side note, i dont know if it means anything but when i open the files in ps bridge, all the metadata is available, just no picture......

Thanks again

Simon.
    Definitely sounds like an ACR update is needed, as the others have said.

I had the same issue when i did a fresh install of Win 7 and Photoshop a few months back, and an update sorted out the issue..
    Cheers, Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top right hand corner of Photoshop or via you Start/Programs menu select "Bridge" and open all your files from there to view.It will show all raw images as well and from there you can select the image to open in ACR by double clicking on it to open it in ACR for you post processing or the beginning of your post processing.
    We didnt inherit this land, we merely borrow it from our Children