Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which lens ?

Hi all,

I am about to upgrade my Pentax "ist"DL to the K-7. My problem is that I was looking at the sigma 50-500 to go with it, but when I went shopping the guy suggested I go for the new Sigma 120-400 as it is a bit faster, lighter(for hand held & low light shooting), is a bit sharper and around $800 cheaper.

My original reason for going for the 50-500 was mainly more for the lower end option but also good to have that upper range. I have done some OS travelling and now going to Africa in August and found in the past having to change lenses from long-short-long can mean the loss of the shot and having the versatility of the 50-500 would allow me to be able to only have to take the one lens away.

Would the 120-400 give me enough range for general shot? or would I need to still have a shorter lens on hand?

Is my thinking all wrong?

Unsure please help.

Thanks

Graham

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only person that has to live with the consequences of your thinking is you

Or maybe the minister for finance in the household as well?

Anyway now that we have solved your financial problems I guess we had better examine your photographic needs.

My thoughts are that if you were happy to budget the amount for the 50 - 500 then you would be better served with 2 good quality lenses rather than just the one.
    There have been quite a few discussions on here in the past about how long a lens you will need for wild life in Africa and then what sort of lens that you will need for scenery and general closer range shots.
    Seeing as I am the sort of person that doesn't really go for the "all round" lens solution I would probably look at the 120-400 and then spend the "leftover" cash on something like a Tamron 17-50 and worry about the focal length gap between the lenses another day.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    The only person that has to live with the consequences of your thinking is you

Or maybe the minister for finance in the household as well?

Anyway now that we have solved your financial problems I guess we had better examine your photographic needs.

My thoughts are that if you were happy to budget the amount for the 50 - 500 then you would be better served with 2 good quality lenses rather than just the one.
    There have been quite a few discussions on here in the past about how long a lens you will need for wild life in Africa and then what sort of lens that you will need for scenery and general closer range shots.
    Seeing as I am the sort of person that doesn't really go for the "all round" lens solution I would probably look at the 120-400 and then spend the "leftover" cash on something like a Tamron 17-50 and worry about the focal length gap between the lenses another day.
    Yes maybe it would be easier to get the less expensive choice passed by the finance minister/leader of the opposition .

Thanks for your thoughts, I know you can't have one lens "fits all" & wouldn't be my only lens. I do have some shorter kit lenses ...18-50, 28-90 (my post maybe sounded a bit this way-sorry ) So maybe that gives weight to your thoughts Andrew & I should go for the 120-400.

I guess I'm looking at the convenience while travelling of taking the one lens that will cover most situations.

Thanks

Graham