Thread: which program to get?

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Showipix View Post
    i have photoshop 6 with no user guide etc
    Just to clarify Kellie, do you have Photoshop 6 or Photoshop Elements 6?

Photoshop 6 is probably 10 years old and I would think fairly outdated whereas Photoshop Elements 6 is only a few years old and should be still quite useful.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify Kellie, do you have Photoshop 6 or Photoshop Elements 6?

Photoshop 6 is probably 10 years old and I would think fairly outdated whereas Photoshop Elements 6 is only a few years old and should be still quite useful.

Howdy
    I just click the about icon in the program and all it tells me is photoshop 6......so i think i only have the old version - me thinks i need to upgrade!

No wonder i have found virtually no user guides or dummy guides on the net to help learn how to use it

Cheers
    Kellie

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at home I use paintshop pro 7, yes its old but i know it inside out at my camera course they use photoshop CS4, its great and i wish I could afford it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    at my camera course they use photoshop CS4, its great and i wish I could afford it.
    you may be able to .. depending on your course status .... you may be entitled to the student version which comes in at under $150.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use psp12....

but you cant get cheaper than free so look for irfanview and the associated raw plugin. it is so easy to use but limited. if you dont want to do too much processing than this would be the way to go.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    you may be able to .. depending on your course status .... you may be entitled to the student version which comes in at under $150.
    I just did some research about it, thank you so much.. your a gem I will contact the school asap and see if they can help me, according to the site I went too I need a letter from the school on there letterhead or even an email address, and I am pretty certain I have one of them, just had no need to use it as yet.
    it would be so much easier to be able to take my own laptop, and not be wasting time each week going through theirs trying to find one with CS4 and not elements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    I just did some research about it, thank you so much.. your a gem I will contact the school asap and see if they can help me, according to the site I went too I need a letter from the school on there letterhead or even an email address, and I am pretty certain I have one of them, just had no need to use it as yet.
    it would be so much easier to be able to take my own laptop, and not be wasting time each week going through theirs trying to find one with CS4 and not elements.
    Your welcome .. Hope it works out for you

If you have a student ID card, all you need to do is provide a scan of that to Adobe and they will send you a serial# to activate the software. Very easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have Photoshop Elements 8, I brought it when I brought my new computer.
    But when I went to try and use it, It was OMG... how will I ever learn to use this thing.
    So I did a online search and came up with these guys,http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/

And I have to tell you, they are fantastic. For me anyway, they have so many Tuts
    and so easy to learn from, I learn best buy watching, they have a video on every Tut,
    so easy to just follow along. There is also a fantastic forum, so you will never get stuck.
    There is so much more.

Well worth it if you go PSE.

Cheers
    couchie
    Canon PowerShot SX100 IS
    PSE 8

New owner of Nikon D90, AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    really? I am currently studying a Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning. Would I be able to get it studying this? or does it have to be a photography related course?

and by course status do you mean part time/full time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Regnis View Post
    really? I am currently studying a Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning. Would I be able to get it studying this? or does it have to be a photography related course?

and by course status do you mean part time/full time?
    You would be entitled to it ... All you need to do is provide a scanned copy of your student ID to Adobe and they will email you with a serial # to activate the program.

No it doesnt have to photography related, and some short courses arent eligible at some institutions. You will be fine.

You can buy the Student Version for Windows or mac here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey daz thanks very much you just got me pretty excited....would I be after the Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended - MAC - Student/Teacher Edition?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Regnis View Post
    hey daz thanks very much you just got me pretty excited....would I be after the Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended - MAC - Student/Teacher Edition?
    Yep ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband was able to get me Photoshop CS3 from work. I also downloaded trials of Lightroom and ACDSee Pro3. My camera came with software as well. The conclusion I came to, is I have no clue how to use any of them! So I guess my advice would be pick one, find a book or some videos and learn how to fully use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you need to understand kmets is that Lightroom and PS are different things, and most workflows will consist of both. (or something similar)

Lightroom is primarily a file storage and management (D.A.M - Digital Asset Management) program and RAW file processor, it also has some more editing capabilities such as spot healing, adjustment brushes etc.

Photoshop is a dedicated photo editor and used for more complex editing. PS allows you to work with layers which LR doesnt.

Photoshop also has a built in component called Adobe Bridge which will allow you to sort and store your files, and Adobe Camera Raw that will allow you to edit your raw files as well.

Therefore, LR is not absolutely necessary, you can set up a basic workflow from camera to print within PS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't comment much about Lightroom, but I use photoshop. My best tip would be to take it slow and not get frustrated while trying to learn it, it's extremely powerful but it's easy to 'over-do' it. I once heard that it takes on average about 1000hrs of use to become proficient in photoshop.... I think I agree with this, but patience is the key!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

Now Im not trying to be a stickler for details but am curios after reading some of the replies here...

Within one of the "Stickies" Kym has written:

"The following programs are more than sufficient for 98% of PP that any photographer is likely to do.
    a) The GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ (this has many plugins and has similar capabilities to Photoshop)
    b) Picasa from google http://picasa.google.com/
    c) Paint .net http://www.getpaint.net/ (Very lightweight, good for JPEGs and simple stuff)

And the missing 2% can be done using other programs (eg. Autostitch for panoramas)"
    Now after reading this thread, I am left wondering if "free" is the way to go or not - as many seem to still recomend spending $ up front.

Thanks,

JzB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GIMP is great for beginners. I used it for a long time before upgrading to LR and PS.

It uses layers and masks just like PS, and has most, if not all, of the essential tools that any beginning photographer will use in PS.

As you shoot more and more frames, and your library builds, LR or Aperture are a good idea to keep your photos organised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded Oloneo Photo Engine two days ago, mainly because it was free and I haven't decided on a program to buy yet. It seems easy enough to use as I haven't had much experience with photo editing software.
    They also have video tutorials on how to use it on their site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great question john because i was wondering the same now i have lots of trials and research to look at

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also like to know which program would suit me to start enhancing photo's. I have Photoshop Elements and have heard that GIMP is also a great program. I'm after something relatively basic so I can get the fundamentals down. I don't see the point in getting a program that has all the bells and whistles when I wont be using them as I don't know what they do etc!

PS Elements or GIMP to start out with?

I have never done any post processing before so I have no idea at all!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast