Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calculate your hourly rate

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Calculate your hourly rate

Though not specifically designed for photography, here is a little calculator that can help you understand all the elements to consider when working out a rate to charge. I hope that even if it doesn't give you a workable rate, that it makes you think about all the aspects of what should be incorporated and considered when working out how much to charge.

http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't apply if you are a hobbyist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Doesn't apply if you are a hobbyist

Why not? You could still do some calculations and at least it would make you think about the components that make up what you should charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To what end ?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on Kiwi, you're saying a hobbyist shouldn't charge for his/her photos. Why?

If you are going to charge for photos, this gives you a rough idea of how much it costs you to take them.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I'm saying charge what you think your photos are worth, as a hobbyist the costs are irrelevent as you'd likely do for free largely anyway, you're not running a p&l, paying tax, declaring expenses etc

If you are a pro you need to know obviously, but not as a hobbyist

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    No, I'm saying charge what you think your photos are worth, as a hobbyist the costs are irrelevent as you'd likely do for free largely anyway, you're not running a p&l, paying tax, declaring expenses etc

If you are a pro you need to know obviously, but not as a hobbyist

but why should a good hobbyist (semi pro) not use a similar method to calculate their rates? If I employ two staff who both do the same job, one full time and one part time, I would generally pay them the same hourly rate, if they are doing the same job.

Back to Basics
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only what Rick said Darren, but there have also been plenty of discussions about "hobbyists" devaluing the profession in general. Yes, there are probably always going to be the low end hobbyists who charge peanuts and deliver .... ummm .... less than exemplary results. However, for the serious hobbyist who is also a pretty good photographer, why should they devalue their time and effort simply because they're not looking to make a profit?

Anyway, if you're making any income from photography regardless of the amount of skill or the amount of time you put into it, you should be declaring it as income and paying the relevant tax on it. To do anything else would be illegal!
    Cheryl B.

My Stuff... Canon 6D ~ Canon Speedlite 580EXII x 2 ~ Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ Canon 50mm f1.8 ~ Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6 ~ Canon 16-35mm ~ Canon 70-200mm f2.8 ~ Photoshop CC ~ Lightroom Classic CC

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
    Anyway, if you're making any income from photography regardless of the amount of skill or the amount of time you put into it, you should be declaring it as income and paying the relevant tax on it. To do anything else would be illegal!
    Taking the site rule about "not giving advice" into consideration, and offering the disclaimer that I am not a lawyer or an accountant, I think you'll find that hobby-related returns are not always treated as income and hence don't always have to be declared. This comes up quite a bit with horse racing and breeding - the tax office are very resistant to hobby breeders managing to declare themselves as professional breeders: the tax on the occasional windfall profit is far exceeded by the potential for offsettable losses, and so the tax office see a net benefit in not having hobbyists declare hobby income. (There are a lot of benefits about being able to convince the tax office that you are professional - the costs of achieving that income become relevant. Think of the photography kit you could buy and write off against your tax - even just the GST.)

As usual, consult an accountant or lawyer in real life (not the internet) before undertaking any action with relation to what is taxable income and claims.

Addenda: Sites such as the one Rick pointed to here add real value to this: If you can establish that it costs you $10,000 a year to take photographs, and you can sell $15,000 a year of photographs (I know, in your dreams), you start to have a business case to move away from being a hobbyist.
    Last edited by farmer_rob; 14-05-2010 at 12:31pm. Reason: add on topic addenda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas

but why should a good hobbyist (semi pro) not use a similar method to calculate their rates? If I employ two staff who both do the same job, one full time and one part time, I would generally pay them the same hourly rate, if they are doing the same job.

Would they work just for fun though?

Either of them ?

Do you take photos for fun or to charge ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CherylB
    Not only what Rick said Darren, but there have also been plenty of discussions about "hobbyists" devaluing the profession in general. Yes, there are probably always going to be the low end hobbyists who charge peanuts and deliver .... ummm .... less than exemplary results. However, for the serious hobbyist who is also a pretty good photographer, why should they devalue their time and effort simply because they're not looking to make a profit?

It's too late and too little to reverse the tide of hobbyists taking work from pros by undercutting

The question is should you care ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CherylB

Oh, unless you earn at least $20000 income there is no need or point in declaring photography related income, it's a hobby

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was reading somewhere the other day that the hourly rate works out to be $846 for a days work (7 hours - 1 hour free).

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Kiwi. If I want to give away my work, I have every right to do so. I take photos because I love to do so, not because I want to make a living from them (there are much better ways of doing that anyway). I may eventually find a way of making good money from photography, but I suspect that it will be quite different from the "charge for time" method. The only value for this type of calculation is for people who really do want to make a living from photography and who need to streamline their operation. This would allow them to focus on the big time consuming items and try to reduce them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I didn't say that you should work for free. Just that comparing what a hobbyist should charge based on s per hour profitability calc is not what I think appropriate for most

Damned fine discussion. Some big issues at play here

I have tried to levy industry rates, but constantly wonder why I should even try when so many don't and who really cares ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Semi-pro and hobbyist are two different people I thought.

And I agree, charge whatever you want. Far too many 'photographers' online whinging about being driven out of a job (not aimed at anyone here, just related to what's being said). Get over it.

No-one has a 'God given right' for want of a better term, to make a living from photography. You can't just decide you're a photographer, and if it doesn't work then the hobbyists are to blame. You have to earn it, just like anything else. If you can't make a living doing what you did 10 years ago, it's probably time you bucked up your ideas and got on with something else. /end rant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't mean that I would work for free, just that it is my right to do so if I wish. If someone wants to use a photo for a good cause and can't afford to pay, then I usually allow it. If someone wants to use a photo in a profit making enterprise, then I will charge. If someone wants to use a photo for something that I'm unsure of (ethically), then I will ask for a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    If someone wants to use a photo for something that I'm unsure of (ethically), then I will ask for a lot.
    Interesting. Every man has his price, eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone asks to use a photo that I am sure I don't like ethically, then I say "no thankyou".

If they then offer me one million dollars - I may review my ethics to see how much I am against it. I may still refuse, but I amy not.
    Last edited by Steve Axford; 14-05-2010 at 1:53pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ah Kiwi, you posted the exact same link in this thread a while ago. I find it highly amusing that you post it and its a worthwhile tool, someone else posts it and you question its validity.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast