Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
You've shared some great insights, there. Thanks. I'm going to chew on them for a bit and get back with something a little more coherent when I've had a chance to mull it over.

One bit that did jump out to me immediately was the following:
Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post
I don't think it is up to you to limit your customer.
That's a baffling comment and I strongly disagree. If I run a business, it is absolutely my prerogative what I offer my clients. Do you think it's reasonable for customers to demand KFC sell them Big Macs or pizza and expect their request to be taken seriously?
You took me out of context Zeke - the full sentence was:
Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post
Given the flexibility we now have, I don't think it is up to you to limit your customer.
Perhaps I should have clarified it with - " in the form with which a delivery of a photographic image can take."

If you have a customer approach you and asks "I want 20 glossy prints at 20x30cm", it would be stupid of you to say "sorry, I can give you a digital file - go down the road and print it yourself". It seems to me that there is the flexibility to offer alternative deliveries with limited cost to yourself. What are you selling? digital images? prints? or is it "photographs" that are delivered in a variety of formats.

BTW, If I was running a KFC and continually had customers coming in and asking for Big Macs, the sensible business approach is to try to meet this unmet demand for food (or gap in my product lineup.) (I know that given the brand image and lack of flexibility of the franchise arrangements, this is not going to happen.)

However refusing to meet the requests of customers just wandering in and asking for something that you can supply but don't want to . Customers and clients cost more time and money to find than to keep. Think very carefully before giving them a reason to go to a competitor.

I sell beef cattle. The market asks for cattle that are 9-12 mo and 300kg. I am not going make my money selling 600kg 2yo into that market, even if that is all I want to do.

Obviously it's prudent to test the market and try to gain an understanding of A. what the market wants, and B. what price the market will bear. We have found that there is a massive market for discerning clients who are happy to purchase prints, despite the incessant chorus of photographers (amateur and professional alike) screaming 'PEOPLE JUST WANT FILES'!
I think you have just proved my point - you are selling what your customer (and market) want, and you disagree with photographers "screaming 'PEOPLE JUST WANT FILES'!" - who are not reading the market.

(Although I bet if one of your customers wanted a file to go with his print, you'd sell it to him for a price.)

In any case, I think that most photographers who preach the sale of files do so primarily for reasons other than any sense of sensitivity to what they believe clients want. I think it's just easier.
Agree completely - too many business owners sell what is easy for them: not necessarily what the market wants.