Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Weight of 24-70mm lens on 350D body

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight of 24-70mm lens on 350D body

Hi,

I recently went ahead and bought my first non-kit lens the Canon 24-70mm 2.8. I have a 350D body and find it rather awkward to keep a steady hand. I will be upgrading to a 40D body when my friend upgrades to a 5D Mk II. Will this help me being able to have more control with the weight of this lens?

Also with only having moved to taking photos on manual this year, moreso since March, I have posted some pics that I would really like some CC on. http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...js=1#community

Thanks in advance!

Tilda

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may find you get a little more stability if you add a battery grip to either the 350 or the 40D. Sometimes it is just a matter of getting used to the extra weight and adjusting your holding technique to suit.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 24-70mm L lens is heavy on any camera body (as are most of the L lenses) and there's nothing that can be done about it. I don't have a 350 but mine's (24-70) still heavy on the other bodies, I found you tend to get used to it after a couple of sessions.
    You need to mindful of the whole camera though, you can't just sling it over your shoulder and go charging about, I saw one go straight through an expensive hallway mirror one night when the photographer turned suddenly with a 50D and 24-70 which swung out like a swing on a sideshow ride and then went straight through the mirror. I didn't wait around to see what the building managers had to say about it all
    Having said that, the weight of a camera body with 24-70mm tends to help just a fraction in that they resist camera shake a little better than a P&S at slow shutter speeds....but then I cheat with mine by leaning against a wall or something else if I can't use a tripod
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would a hand strap that goes on the side of the camera do a similar job to a battery grip??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, just get used to it, and you will, unless you have really bitten off more than you can chew, lol

I do like the r-strap as an aside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the 24-70 is heavy - not sure exactly how much. But, my experience with the 400d and the sigma 50-500 (which is heavy) was frustrating because of the weight. When I went to the 50d with the same lens I noticed the actual weight of the camera made a difference. It was easier to use on the 50d than the 400d, just more solid.

The 400 was very light and small camera and I would image the 350d would be the same.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for your tips!! Will get a hand strap for now until I upgrade the body!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to ask, how do you hold the camera? Any chance you can show us via an image? Many issues can be fixed just by changing the way a camera is held.
    I recently saw a lady holding her dslr like a p&s and was wondering why she couldn't get crisp shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the reason why they call it 'the brick'

A larger body should help balance this lens out a little more.
    Canon User

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not really that heavy, but it is pretty fat close to the camera body. I put mine on my old 400D just to have a play, and found it difficult to hold because my fingers struggled to fit comfortably between the grip and the lens. On the 5D, 1D, etc it's much more comfortable, the bigger body allows you to get a better grip as well, which helps negate any weight issues.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou....I have had the opportunity to take pics with a 40D with L series lenses and it didn't really bother me. But since putting the lens on my 350D it just does not feel as sturdy. I just hope my 40D isn't too far away! (Waiting for a friend to upgrade and I am buying her 40D).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allann View Post
    I have to ask, how do you hold the camera? Any chance you can show us via an image? Many issues can be fixed just by changing the way a camera is held.
    I recently saw a lady holding her dslr like a p&s and was wondering why she couldn't get crisp shots.
    That's a good point - if you're attempting to hold the 350D without supporting the weight of the 24-70, the weight of the 24-70 will definitely try to drag the front down...
    However, if you support the weight of the 24-70 with your left hand, you should be able to find an appropriate spot that will provide a good balance, without the lens attempting to pull the front of the camera down.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word answer: YES. It will help. Some of the pro lenses - I don't have a 24-70/2.8 but my 240-105/4 is similar in size and weight - really only feel right on a pro body. But a 40D goes a long way in that direction. It will help.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildababy View Post
    Would a hand strap that goes on the side of the camera do a similar job to a battery grip??
    I think you will find you need the battery grip in order to fit the hand strap (genuine canon hand strap anyway).