User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Macro Lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Macro Lens

I would like to try to take Macro of insects, and don't know what lens to use. I cannot afford a macro lens at the moment, so am looking for alternatives and suggestions, and tips. My current lens are 18-250 Tamron zoom, and the standard kit lens, and in about 6 weeks will have my new Nikon 70 - 300 vr lens. Can I use extension tubes with these lens
    I don't know enough about lens to understand all the techie jargon on here, so please go easy... just a newbie

Karen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my $0.02 worth

I'm no expert but I think you'll find it easier to get good results using a prime lens with extension tubes than the zooms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are always work-arounds but you really do need a macro lens to do macro work successfully. Is there any reason at this stage why you're getting another long zoom rather than say a macro or prime lens?
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    There are always work-arounds but you really do need a macro lens to do macro work successfully. Is there any reason at this stage why you're getting another long zoom rather than say a macro or prime lens?
    my current lens is not a VR and as I do a lot of handheld work I feel that I need a lens with VR. I am planning in the next few months to get a prime.

Karen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it's a matter of priorities. Work out what sort of photography you like to do most and buy those lens that you need. Many lens can double up and a macro lens (say 100mm) can also work well with portraits. Unfortunately it all comes down to money, or the lack of it.
    On the professional side (when money's short) we can hire lens but that's not always practical as a hobby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've used my 70-300vr with the screw on close up lens adaptors. a +4 gives good results at 70-100mm. you do lose image quality though in the outer parts of the frame, and if i try using it at the larger end of the 'zoom' the quality is pretty bad all round.
    Nikon D90, 18-105mm VR, 70-300mm VRII, 50mm/1.8, SB600

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered getting extension tubes? They are a cheap and good way of trying out macro photography. I forget the brand, but you can get sets for around $150 on ebay that will let you play around without having to shell out for a macro.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karen the Kenko tubes will work with your 18-250, I have used them on my 18-200, also Tamron make an excellent macro lens that isn't expensive, quite a few people have them on here and take great shots with it, you can also use the Kenko tubes with that lens. Have fun!
    Margaret

Fuji XT2 Manfrotto MF 055XPROB Pro Tripod & gynbal head, Fuji 18-55 mm, Fuji 14 mm, Fuji 55-200 mm, Fuji 80 mm macro, Fuji 60mm macro, Fuji 100-400 mm, SB600 Speedlight, Photoshop, Lightroom on a Mac, Critiques welcomed

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the brand - the ones that Margaret mentioned - kenko tubes. And if in the future you decide to buy a dedicated macro lend the tubes will go beyond the 1:1 magnification which is a bonus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - I agree - The Kenko Tubes are a good investment, you can get a set of three (12mm, 20mm, 36mm) delivered for about $170.

Cheers,
    GJC
    Cheers,

Greg
    "Photography can be an extreme sport!"

Canon: 7D + BG-E7, 60D, 580EX, 24-105 L IS F4, 100-400mm L IS F4.5-5.6, EF 1.4x III
    Sigma: 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX, 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS.