User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: pentax k7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pentax k7

I'm looking to buy my first digital slr after years of using film.Have been looking at the Pentax k7 and I was looking for some advice on what it like.Iv'e have held it and it feels good. Also I was wondering about lenes.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'Day & welcome to AP!

Great camera at a great price! I'm biased!

Lenses...
    Lots to choose from, either the new Pentax limiteds, or older Pentax glass, even back to the 60's/70's with m42 mount.
    Many great options from Sigma and Tamron etc.

What do you want to shoot?

Might be an idea to post an introduction as well !

Edit:
    Pricing... http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...tax+k-7&spos=3
    I strongly recommend NOT buying a 'kit' lens but getting some good fast glass.

Check the New to Photography forum equipment guide before purchasing - lots of good advice.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon Kym will be a long sooner than later to give you enthusiastic responses and reviews of the K7.

To me, the K7 is the positive bargain of the DSLR world at the moment for someone that is not tied to any other brand due to lenses. Any review will show that it is an extremely well built capable camera and there are no shortage of lenses both new and secondhand, OEM and third party, consumer and professional that will manage excellent quality images.

EDIT ---- OK, so Kym was typing as I was.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    I reckon Kym will be a long sooner than later to give you enthusiastic responses and reviews of the K7.
    Clearly kicko has some class
    He just needs to find some glass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have just moved from film to digital and bought a k-7 in January this year. I am very happy with it. Iam enjoying using all my old m42 takumars on the k7, plus I have a SMC M 400mm that is great at 1.5 crop . I bought the two WR zoom lenes, sure there are sharper lens out there, but they are rather good for the price and the waterproofing was important for me without having to pay DA* or canon L prices. Go to dp review and have a look at the favourbale review the k-7 gets and you will see that Kym's "bias" is not unfounded.

cheers,

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim71 View Post
    I too have just moved from film to digital and bought a k-7 in January this year. I am very happy with it. Iam enjoying using all my old m42 takumars on the k7, plus I have a SMC M 400mm that is great at 1.5 crop . I bought the two WR zoom lenes, sure there are sharper lens out there, but they are rather good for the price and the waterproofing was important for me without having to pay DA* or canon L prices. Go to dp review and have a look at the favourbale review the k-7 gets and you will see that Kym's "bias" is not unfounded.

cheers,

Tim

dont forget Tim that the K7 is only full sealed with the appropriate DA* lenses, if a body is sealed and the lens isnt,its not really sealed

I would recommend the K7 to anyone who does not have an investment in other brands, and after owning some Limited prime lenses, I dont like using my Canon primes anymore

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as others have said above. i have one and could not be happier. notv as heavy as some/most other DSLRs. I would highly recomend it. i upgraded to the K7 from a Panasonic FZ28, which is a very good camera, and i am not sorry that i did. i say go for it
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks JM,

I knew that the WR's were not as waterproof as the da*'s but didn't realise about the lack of a body seal. I will keep that in mind next time I am out in my front yard being, the rainforests of Springbrook.

I have also noticed that all the lens contacts on the camera body are exposed when using the m42 lenes, I guess there is a small price for 40+ years of backwards compatibility.

thanks again,

Tim

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K-mount started in 1975. So there are 35 years of K glass before you need to go M42.

also: Weather sealed is NOT underwater

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mostly M42 so am stuck in the pre 75 world . I wouldn't give up my collection of 10 super and smc taks for anything, will start getting some SMC A's soon and keep saving up for the digital age!

and even an umbrella improves waterproofing significantly

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A genuine Pentax m42/k mount adaptor in my opinion is mandatory for successful use of M42 glass. These are becoming rare but still available if you look. The non genuine that look like the genuine usually come with a removal tool - they can become stuck.The other type from HK & China have a flange & whilst OK for macro work will not focus to infinity.

K7 is an excellent camera, you will not be sorry.
    Regards
    Kevin

Nikon D500 D7200. nikkor 200-500 f5.6, Tamron 100-400, Nikkor 70-200 f4 plus other glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevpride/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kevin,

Yep I got the genuine Pentax adaptor they are still available new through Kennedys/Pentax website. The old lenes do look rather good on the K7 and its great not have to count number of shots left anymore!

cheers,
    Tim

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I also recently bought a genuine Pentax adaptor, got it from www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/, paid $49.50 which was alot cheaper than what C.R Kennedy quoted over the phone.

Cheers

Graham

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I just bought a K7 also.

I used to use film pentax and had a couple of lenses - probably didnt need to stay with them but was intrigued with the pentax prime lens reputation and wanted to force myself to use fixed focal lengths for a while.

picked up the FA31 & FA77 Ltds, FA 50 F1.4, 100mm DFA Macro WR and even the samyang 8mm fisheye plus the Sigma 10-20mm and a lensbaby kit.

its a bit tougher not having so many stores with lots of pentax lenses to test out in the flesh, like say canon and nikon, but you work around it...