Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Remote Shutter release?

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remote Shutter release?

I'm looking to buy a remote shutter release for my 50D but know nothing about them and would love some advice please

Looking on ebay there are a ton of non-genuine cordless and wireless remotes to choose from at ridiculously low prices - like only a couple of dollars (in researching I have even found instructions on how to adapt a hand free phone kit for the purpose).

The first question I have is is it possible for these non-genuine devices to damage or short circuit the camera?

Secondly is there any benefit to wireless over one with a cord, and are there other functions that different models control other than just the shutter release?

Thanks!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using a non genuine cable remote on my 400D for a few years and a wireless remote on my 7d with no problems. Both these have the same features as the genuine ones. there is also one available that is programmable to take multiple timed shots. With wireless you can operate the camera without the restraints of a cable connection.
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a cheapo (nikon copy), the plug was way too tight. Everytime I unplugged it i thought it would damage the socket.

I also got one of the 'aputure' programmable timer release from ebay (around $20). This is a very high quality piece of gear, highly reccommended.
    Last edited by hakka; 07-12-2010 at 7:20am.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.phottix.com/

Excellent cheap remote releases, wireless releases and other stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are a few third party remotes that are quite popular like yonguo ( works as both flash trigger and wireless remote). If you want to go wireless I don't think there's many options for a genuine canon remote unless you feel like spending a fair bit.
    Canon 5DmIII | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 17-40mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 24-70mm 2.8 |

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a Micnova TC-3 from Photographic Wholesalers which is the same as the Canon timer remote but only cost me $160, I tried the ones off ebay but had too many problems with it and in the end the company I dealt with weren't being very helpful so watch out if you get one off ebay, most are good, but it's a pain to get them fixed properly if they don't work. So far been extremely happy with mine.
    Andrew.
    comments and criticisms are always appreciated.
    Unless I post into the "NOT FOR CRITIQUE" section then the above doesn't apply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last week I received a cordless remote for my 50D, it can be used cordless or "corded". The remote will also trigger flashes (if wanted) I used it for my 1st fireworks attempt on the weekend, it worked fine. A bit dearer than some at $30 but has a choice of 16 frequencies incase there are other cordless remotes around.
    If you google this: 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Flash Trigger RF-602 F CANON R3K it will show up.
    Cheers
    Jo

Canon 7D user on P Plates

CC is encouraged: No need to be gentle
    Don't be offended by my CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a non gen cable release & it works fine for a fraction of the Canon genuine article & it looks the same as the Canon gen.
    Imagine a world without photography... one could only imagine. - Berenice Abbott

I Shoot Canon

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Michelle,
    I recently bought a cable release for my 40D from site sponsor http://www.phottixstore.com/phottixs...d-remotes.html works a treat, I got the one thats has an interval timer as well for star trails/ time lapse etc . I think if I was going down the portrait/model shoot road I'd probably have looked more closely at the wireless system as I think it might give more scope for interacting with the subject without being near the camera.
    my 2c
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Photix are still a sponsor of AP, their wire remote release is just fine for 50D, 7D and 5D and never had a problem with them
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did get teh genuine article and it works awfully well with my 40D - ....Duh - that's what one gets with original gear. Most other things introduces a risk of premature device failure some where along the track. Depends on how mission critical your work is.
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought (I think 5 now) wireless remotes for myself and friends off ebay, all were approx $10 each ( including postage ), and all are still working fine, the oldest one is nearly a year old now.
    I have this silly idea, that I should actually go and take photos with all this photography gear I have already accumulated, before I collect any more!

See some of my photos here.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/David...5888662?ref=hl
    And my very randomly updated blog.
    http://davidarnold.wordpress.com/

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, have the same as Astroman on my 50D and it works a treat, got mine for $99 in WA, depends on whether you want radio or wire remote control really, flash slave modes and so forth.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.