Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tokina lenses

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tokina lenses

Wondering if any AP members were up-to-date with the current supply situation of Tokina lenses, they were reportedly out of stock when I ordered mine back in February and as of this date I have not laid eyes on mine!!
    Originally suggestions were that there was a 6 week supply shortage but that info is sadly very old news now.
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 12-24 one month ago and it took three days to arrive from Hong Kong - didn't relise there was a shortage.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.davis View Post
    I bought a 12-24 one month ago and it took three days to arrive from Hong Kong - didn't relise there was a shortage.
    Thanks for the reply John, it was a 12-24 that I ordered too but there were a couple of posts on AP at the time saying that Tokina had run out of product, so I was prepared for the long wait, suppose I had better make a few phone calls about it
    Richard

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold the phone people, just got an email tonight to say it's on it's way....a long wait
    Richard

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwg717 View Post
    Hold the phone people, just got an email tonight to say it's on it's way....a long wait
    Richard
    Yep, it's finally here, just a matter of learning HOW TO USE IT!!!! Boy are these things WIDE, as a telephoto user most of my life 12-24 is a bit "over the top", will post a couple of shots soon
    Richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got my 11-16 the other day
    took 3 days to get delivered from HK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just a Tokina AT-X 116 from japan, great glass built like a tank and good IQ.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, they are impressive units. Lovely design work and solid construction....but how to use them? I have been a telephoto user all my life and these make me a bit.....ahhh well "seasick" when I look in the view-finder.....sooooo wide, sure I will find a method
    Richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All,

Tokina AF 11-16mm f2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX -- I am looking at get one of these and was wondering if any of you who bought from hongkong can give me some advice.

I read all over the internet that Tokina lenses can be a bit of a touch and go. Depends on the lens and 1 out of 3 tend to be faulty.

So can someone please

a) suggest the vendor you bought from
    or
    should i just buy it locally ?

Cheers,
    Vee~!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have not read of any bad faults with Tokina up to now, take a look at this link:-

https://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au...ory=9&brand=60

I bought a 12-24 from them and ordered it months ago, took a long time to arrive but I can't really fault mine, not suitable for a "full-frame" camera but wonderfully wide if thats your liking and only about 2/3 the price of the Canon EFS 10-22
    Richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion Tokina are as solid as a rock (had them about three years now). The 11-16 is superb (for DX) and so is the 12-24 that Richard just bought.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the 11-16mm and loving it (even wide open), though I'm still learning to use it well.
    I got mine from DDE (www.d-d-electronics.com.sg) as they have a shopfront here in Sydney (DDP) so any warranty claims for a grey market lens, I can go directly to a store rather than worry about shipping, etc. Was roughly $700 when I bought mine, with shipping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the lens and 1 out of 3 tend to be faulty.
    those odds sound a bit rough, I have the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 and its a great lens, it was my first 3rd party lens and imo has as good build quality (optical as well) as any of my nikkor lens.

I bought locally from DD in North Sydney, few issues with stock and took a while but the guys up tehre are very helpful and would go back any day.

The DD price was just as good as OS prices when I got mine and any difference was not really worth it for me.
    Some Nikon stuff... gerrys photo journey
    https://plus.google.com/+GerardBlacklock
    No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgum View Post
    In my opinion Tokina are as solid as a rock (had them about three years now). The 11-16 is superb (for DX) and so is the 12-24 that Richard just bought.
    Back this up 100%. Had the 12-24 mk11 for 18mths now, (from DWI), shaper than all the other lenses I own. (8 nikons). Contrast & colour are outstanding.

Mick.G.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by landteacher View Post
    Back this up 100%. Had the 12-24 mk11 for 18mths now, (from DWI), shaper than all the other lenses I own. (8 nikons). Contrast & colour are outstanding.

Mick.G.
    Yes, I would have to back-up all the above comments, haven't used mine all that much yet and not really into UWA but I can't fault mine (12-24mm) for build quality and IQ into the bargain. I think it was very good value for money.
    Richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've pretty much got my mind set on a Tokina for my 50D but the problem is I'm not sure which one, the 11-16 or the 12-24.

Does anyone have compelling reasons to pick either? Your advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    . .
    The more I learn the less I know !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, back-up the above comments, I have the 12-24 and it is brilliant and built like a brick outhouse. The poster maybe confusing Tokina with Tamron which my local photo supplies shop mentions are a bit hit or miss and recommends to be careful when buying second hand. Buying new you should be covered by warranty.
    Jim Canon 40D – Canon 70-200mm f/4L – Nifty 50 f/1.8 – Tokina 12-24 f/4 - Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro Critique welcome
    http://home.exetel.com.au/shim/index.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got the 11-16, and until a UV filter broke on it, it's rock solid and great quality.

It produces very good images. I suppose you have to decide how wide you want to go. The 12-24 gives you more play with the zoom. 6/Half Dozen scenario, really.
    [- Instagram -]

Nikon Slave... (D90 & D300S)
    -- CCs extremely welcome, further editing of my photos is not. Thanks!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milspec View Post
    I've pretty much got my mind set on a Tokina for my 50D but the problem is I'm not sure which one, the 11-16 or the 12-24.

Does anyone have compelling reasons to pick either? Your advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    I can't say with certainty but in my research I got the distinct impression that there was quite a large difference in angle with the 11-16 compared with the 12-24 and most of those who wanted UWA Zooms were opting for the 11-16, but I went the other way because I wanted something more often used between 18-22mm with the 12mm end used only occasionally. Don't know if this helps
    Richard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast