Thread: Tasmania

All lines lead to Home ...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tasmania

Hi All,

I'm fortunate enough to take some time off in June, and We've decided to give Tasmania a go this time. We will be in Tassie for 10 days and really looking forward to taking heaps of pics and getting out of the Sydney traffic.

The purpose of this thread is ask you locals and those that have been to Tassie about the locations, places to stay, food, etc ...

Oh, the Missus will also be 6.5 months preggas at the time ....

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Phil

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are some great B&B's all over Tasmania, if that is your thing. 10 days will give you a good look at a fair bit of the state.

Have you worked out a bit of a plan as to how you are going to get around, what places you might stay in, cause that can help us give you ideas for photo-shoots, places to stay/eat etc.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 days is plenty of time to do the Overland Track. Many Great photo opportunities there. And you can make the missus carry the packs - it'll be great training for when she's carrying the young one around, with all the nappies and stuff she'll have to lug as well. That way you can just get to and take lots of photos.
    Canon 50D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Aperture 2.0

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll be hiring a car and driving that around. Let me get some more details and post it up tmr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to Tasmania twice. Everywhere you look, there's a photograph. Lake St.Clair is worth some time. Lake Burberry on the way to Queenstown. The Western Tiers.The Lakes district. The Northeast coast. . If you stay in one spot and make short trips out from base you can get some good work done. The accommodation can be expensive so get on the net and shop around. I'm going again this year.
    all the best.

Back to Basics
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be pretty cold in June so make sure you bring the woollies! There will be a bit of snow around as well .... makes for a few good pictures occasionally! (I'm hoping to get some shots of snow gums in snow myself this year! )
    Cheryl B.

My Stuff... Canon 6D ~ Canon Speedlite 580EXII x 2 ~ Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ Canon 50mm f1.8 ~ Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6 ~ Canon 16-35mm ~ Canon 70-200mm f2.8 ~ Photoshop CC ~ Lightroom Classic CC

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here's my draft itinerary:

Dates: 05/06/2010 - 14/06/2010

Day 1: Sydney -> Launcesten (Arrive 12:15pm)

Day 2: Launceston -> Bay of Fires (Sunset) ... anything to do between Launcesten and Binalong Bay? Drive to Coles bay (stay for the night)

Day 3: Coles Bay -> Freycinet National Park. Drive back to Coles Bay for the night

Day 4: Coles Bay -> Freycinet National Park. Drive down to Hobart for the night

Day 5: Hobart -> Port Arthur (Day tour). Drive back to Hobart for the night

Day 6: Hobart: walkaround Hobart??? Mount Wellington, Cadbury Factory? .... suggestions???

Day 7: Hobart ->Queenstown -> Straham (Plenty of photo opportunities on this day)

Day 8: Strahan: Cruise on River?, Drive to Cradle Mountain

Day 9: Cradle Mountain, Stay at Cradle Mountain for the Day

Day 10: Cradle ->Launceston->Flight back to Sydney @12:45pm

Looking forward to your replies and suggestions

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cradle Mountain, Wow, I would advise 2/3 days here minimum. Just fantastic forest and mountain pictures. Moss covered rainforests, all just so beautiful.
    If you stay at the Lodge, perfection !

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Horler View Post
    Cradle Mountain, Wow, I would advise 2/3 days here minimum. Just fantastic forest and mountain pictures. Moss covered rainforests, all just so beautiful.
    If you stay at the Lodge, perfection !
    What type of walks do you suggest at Cradle Mountain? This itinerary is just a a draft, so we've got a few weeks to fine tune it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick question regarding the Bay of Fires ...

whereabouts would you recommend going to take some pics?

Is the whole bay made up of those red rocks?

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arnica View Post
    We'll be hiring a car and driving that around. Let me get some more details and post it up tmr.
    Well, don't hire a sedan, they're too low to see anything out of. We had an X-Trial. It had virtually cinemascope windows. That or its ilk would be the go.

About the Bay of Fires (Woops: defer to locals) almost anywhere along the road past St Helens, going north. There are also v. nice views to be had NE of St Helens along the peninsula and at its tip through Stieglitz
    Am.

PS. I recall that the "red rocks" started as far south as Bicheno...
    CC, Image editing OK.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Anson View Post
    I've been to Tasmania twice. Everywhere you look, there's a photograph...
    +1, Peter. And where you don't look you'll miss a few.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cradle is quite simply stunning - its not huge but I rate it as among the worlds top picturesque spots on a clear day. YOu look at it and just expect Smaug to come launching of the top at any moment. There are loads of walks you can do from 30 mins to all day everyone is a corker.
    you can get a day walk map at the Parks visitor centre . I too recommend more than one day there.

Cheers - John
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out Tassie trip is less than 5 days away .. and I've been looking at other people's pictures as an inspiration.

We'll also be doing the Penguin tour up at Low Head ... can't wait to get up and close with them. Hopefully the rain stays away for us.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flying into Launceston tmr ... hoping to leave this rainy weather behind and not have it follow me.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just flew back into Sydney after 10 days in Tassie ... OMG I did not want to leave. I've got so many pictures that need to be sorted through. Hopefully I can upload a couple for you in a few days time.

I am so going back there again!

dieselpower
    I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread as we're intending to go in October or November, driving down from Qld and taking our own vehicle and camping. I'll start another thread about it in due course, for now this one is great for me to get an idea of what to put on the itinerary.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
    I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread as we're intending to go in October or November, driving down from Qld and taking our own vehicle and camping. I'll start another thread about it in due course, for now this one is great for me to get an idea of what to put on the itinerary.
    How long are you going to be touring for? It'll be Spring going into Summer by then .. should get a lot of interesting colours in the flora

dieselpower
    Quote Originally Posted by arnica View Post
    How long are you going to be touring for? It'll be Spring going into Summer by then .. should get a lot of interesting colours in the flora
    Looking at a minimum of 2 weeks (11 days on Tas, 2 days each way to drive to Melbourne), hopefully closer to 3 if we have enough leave.