Page 1 of 30 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: To all the new members, give us your feedback

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To all the new members, give us your feedback

To all the new members,

When you join up and the site sends you the private message from me, welcoming you to Ausphotography, how helpful is the link in that message. The link goes to Getting Started on Ausphotography (AP). I am just wondering if you found that thread really useful, if any bits are confusing, is anything missing, and could you give us some advice on how to make that thread better. After all, it is often the first thing you read after joining the site and if we can make it even better, we will. All feedback appreciated.
    Last edited by Kym; 24-02-2011 at 4:37pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ricktas
    I found the introductory message very helpful and useful - I followed the links to various parts of the site, which needed explaining.
    All in all, a very good introduction!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ricktas - very helpful. I am on a couple of forums ( not photography related ) and the rules on here are quite different. Much firmer but I like them as much of what they are designed to stop is what I have seen do damage on other forums. This is without doubt the best I have seen.

I also followed the links around and found the site intro very well designed, and packed with info for beginners that money just can't buy, well not my level of funds anyway :-)

Cheers - John
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

dieselpower
    I found it most helpful Rick, it is a great intro to finding your way around the site. It is very concise.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbee View Post
    Hi Ricktas - very helpful. I am on a couple of forums ( not photography related ) and the rules on here are quite different. Much firmer but I like them as much of what they are designed to stop is what I have seen do damage on other forums. This is without doubt the best I have seen.
    Exactly!

FWIW AP has been accused from time to time of being 'over moderated' (or words to that effect).

The main drivers for the rules and their enforcement is to provide:
    a) A safe environment where we can share our interest/passion for photography and safely give and receive good CC (not just 'nice photo')
    b) A high level of integrity in the competition system
    c) A site free from spammers and other such rot

It's also worth noting that AP is 100% free and provides $'000s of prizes each year thanks to the Shop, Advertisers and Sponsors (please click throughthe ads!).
    Rick and Rick alone wears the financial and legal responsibility for AP, the rest of thye mods are all volunteers.

Rick has stated there will never be a subscription ('premium' membership) or other such class system.
    We are all members, the only thing we ask for some site features is regular participation.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great site

Hi ricktas and other mods. This site is fantastic. love the rules as being an amateur photographer (if there was a level below amateur id be that) not having full access helps you find your way around and learn a lot easier before progressing. I look forward to posting a few pics and get some feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found it most helpful too Rick.
    CC is welcomed & appreciated

5d Mark II

Photography by nature is spiritual, considering it comes from the darkness to show the light.
    - Kevin Russo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i find the site informative, but i would like to see a special section on bargains for camera gear that people find so others can benefit when possible, there maybe one on here but i haven't found it yet.
    1x #/Nikon D90 Body Only - Nikon ML-L3 remote control
    1x #/Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f3.5-5.6G ED VR II =
    1x #/Hoya 72mm HD UV

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very happy with the introductory information very much enjoying being part of AP many thanks for making us feel welcomed

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddutchman View Post
    i find the site informative, but i would like to see a special section on bargains for camera gear that people find so others can benefit when possible, there maybe one on here but i haven't found it yet.
    AP is not primarily a trading site, so we do not make gear trades etc a major part of it. There is a classifieds section, but you have to have been a member for 30 days AND have 50 posts before you can see it, or access it.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks for the feedback so far. Always good to find out if it is useful or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree completely with elGrando, the restriction not only keeps the community safe, it also allows the 'newbies' to find their way around the basics of the site, and they also have something new to look forward to.

My only crit of that thread is that it is a little confusing about the rules. IMO they would be better off explained in point form in one section of that thread and then a small paragraph at the beginning of that section explaining why it is so.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Ashworth View Post
    I agree completely with elGrando, the restriction not only keeps the community safe, it also allows the 'newbies' to find their way around the basics of the site, and they also have something new to look forward to.

My only crit of that thread is that it is a little confusing about the rules. IMO they would be better off explained in point form in one section of that thread and then a small paragraph at the beginning of that section explaining why it is so.
    Thanks, will look and see if we cannot improve that. The full site rule are available as a menu item across the top of the AP site. Remembering that Competitions have their own rules as well, as does classifieds when it becomes available to access.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    AP is not primarily a trading site, so we do not make gear trades etc a major part of it. There is a classifieds section, but you have to have been a member for 30 days AND have 50 posts before you can see it, or access it.
    i dont mean trades, its more like to buy camera gear such as lenses,bags tripods etc. from stores just to let people know what specials are on at the moment.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddutchman View Post
    i dont mean trades, its more like to buy camera gear such as lenses,bags tripods etc. from stores just to let people know what specials are on at the moment.

That's what Camera/Lens/Gear talk is for..BUT

Site rules:

[7] Goods and Services for sale/wanted to buy/employment. Personal classifieds advertisements, including employment offers, must be placed in our classifieds forum. Please read the separate Rules about advertisements within the classifieds forum (also viewable as a 'sticky' at the top of the Site Matters Forum). Advertisements for goods, services, employment or other commercial offers must not be included in any other forums or galleries without first obtaining permission from the site administrator. Commercial Advertising can be arranged for a fee. Threads/Posts deemed to be commercial in nature, which have not been approved by site administration, will be deleted. Members with less than 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot post information that primarily promotes a commercial site, on any part of Ausphotography. (Also see site rule 13: regarding complaints about products/services).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think you should be able to view the classified section from the start but not actually be able to post stuff for sale on there untill the one month and fifty post limit , fully understand why it has been set like that as there is nothing worse than having a new member log on to a site and start trying to sell equipment and others question whether its legit or not .
    Sony all the way

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feral View Post
    i think you should be able to view the classified section from the start but not actually be able to post stuff for sale on there untill the one month and fifty post limit , fully understand why it has been set like that as there is nothing worse than having a new member log on to a site and start trying to sell equipment and others question whether its legit or not .
    That used to be how it was. But we had a serious issue with people joining and bypassing the rules by using the PM system to try and sell gear to those that had posted Wanted To Buy's. We got quite a few reports from members about this, so decided if new members could not abide by the rules, we would force them too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No drama , I can understand why now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ricktas,
    very helpful. Many of these types of forum can be very intimidating to new users, who get lost in the depths and then spend most of their time being reprimanded for not following ettiquette. The path into this forum is clear and well lit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old photograher but new to this site

Thanks for all the introduction information, I found it very helpful. I am new to this site but have been taking photos for years and have a cupboard full of film cameras that don't come out anymore, everything from my Minox to a Voitlander to an Olympus OM1 but enjoying my Nikon D90 and using DXO software on my Mac.

Page 1 of 30 123411 ... LastLast