0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    That is quite stunning!
    Thanks - I've done a blog on the glowing filament shot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, 3 months after buying the vox trigger kit I finally got it finished last night (damn work!). I did the same mod as you with the solid-state relay. It all seemed to work, the red light on the SSR would light when the circuit triggered, so I assembled it all in a Zippy case (or whatever Jaycar call them). I hooked up my SB800 and triggered the circuit, but the flash didn't fire.

I did short the sync. cable when connecting it to the circuit, which fired the flash, so I know the cord is fine, haha. Being all in the case I couldn't be bothered (nor had time) to open it up and check what was going on. The ciruit is definitely working as I can hear the electro-mechanical relay working.

Without looking at it I'm thinking two things. I did wind both trimpots to their minimum setting, least sensitivity on the mic, and shortest dwell time once triggered. I'm thinking that is not enough time for the SSR. Either that or the voltage from the flash has blown up the SSR.

Anyhow, just saying thanks for the inspiration, hopefully I'll get a chance to play with it next weekend.

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to neatness of electronics, haha. I'll take some shots of the circuit and the case once it's all up and going.
    Last edited by BLWNHR; 12-09-2010 at 11:17pm.
    Adam.

AGSPhotos.com

Using Nikon & PS CS5.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLWNHR View Post
    I did short the sync. cable when connecting it to the circuit, which fired the flash, so I know the cord is fine, haha. Being all in the case I couldn't be bothered (nor had time) to open it up and check what was going on. The ciruit is definitely working as I can hear the electro-mechanical relay working.
    Try simply connecting it to the mechanical relay for some shots , there will be about a 1/200th sec delay .
    I have both trim-pots cranked up all the way so it is very sensitive and stays in for a while - I don't want double flashes to happen . With the mechanical relay still in it is worth turning the sensitivity back a bit because the click of the relay sometimes triggers the mic to pull in again each time it lets go .
    For now I'd suggest a few shots simply using the mechanical relay .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12