User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: re canon 180mm F 3.5 macro L lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re canon 180mm F 3.5 macro L lens

Just wondering,if anyone using this lens on this site,I image some insect photographer have this lens or know a bit about it,

I checked the reviews,all great.My question is, could a lens like this be used for any other application as well as macro?i.e I thought I saw mention of it used in some sort potrait photography.Or is it just for use in macro with no other useful application in photography.

thanks FB
    Canon 50D and 450D - Canon 10-22 F3.5-5.6, 17-55 F2.8 L, 70-200 F2.8 L, 400 prime F5.6 L, 60mm F2.8 macro, EX 430 Flash,and all sorts of other bits and pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with all other macro lenses (maybe except for the MP-E), it can be used for normal purposes. The only problem usually is the slow auto-focusing of macro lenses, which can be somewhat mitigated by using the focus limiter switch appropriately.
    1D MkIII | 5D | 17-40 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4 L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 70-200 f/4L IS | 35 f/1.4L | 135 f/2L

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this lens and it is great, very sharp. It is not limited to macro only, very sharp portrait, landscape, wildlife etc... It is only limited to the person using it. It is a great macro lens though, the beauty being you dont have to have the subject touching the front element. If macro is your thing you can't go wrong.
    Critique and comments welcomed on my images!

www.philrettkephotography.com
    http://www.flickr.com/philrettke

Canon EOS 5D MKII x 2 | Ef 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM | Ef 16-35mm f2.8L II | Ef 180mm f/3.5L macro | Ef 24-70mm f/2.8L | Adobe Photoshop CS3 extended | Digital Photo Professional | Photomatix Pro 3 | Adobe Lightroom 2.3

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re macro

Quote Originally Posted by Philr View Post
    I have this lens and it is great, very sharp. It is not limited to macro only, very sharp portrait, landscape, wildlife etc... It is only limited to the person using it. It is a great macro lens though, the beauty being you dont have to have the subject touching the front element. If macro is your thing you can't go wrong.
    So Philr

Could it be used for sports action?or is focus too slow.I am pleased it cane be used for other

applications,as well as macro.not that it would be a problem if it could'nt be used for anything else than just macro,I hear its a fantastic macro lens.

thanks for feed back FB

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think for sports the AF would be too slow to really make it a lens you would buy for that particular reason. It is after all macro lens that you can put to use in other areas.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

macro

No worries Plilr,

I thought as much,I pleased to hear that it can be put to other uses like potrait and landscape.It really is just a bonus-I hear it really is an outstanding macro lens,

cheers FB