Thanks heaps to everyone who replied! Really appreciated!
I guess i've always known the perception to evaluate an item/service on its individual basis and what it can provide, but needed to squash my opinions and perceptions that everyone keeps hammering me with.

I currently don't have a DSLR at the moment and most people's 'knowledgeable' advice is that to get a half decent body (Which i'm looking at either the Canon 500D or 550D, as i'm only starting off and hopefully this lil episode is not a fad rather a passion) with a capable lens. But in saying that, a friend of mine says that a 75-250mm or something with a little greater zoom is extremely handy for holidays trips when you need the zoom. This lead me to the cross road whether to buy the twin lens kit which has the 75-250mm or simple do without the lens kit and start off from the start with decent lenses.

I totally agree with everyone who has posted above. I will do more research as to what i want out of photography, what type of photos i want to take and discover my style of photography.

Cheers everyone!!