Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Smugmug or not to Smugmug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Smugmug or not to Smugmug

Morning,

Im looking for an Australian version of something like Smugmug.

Any ideas?

Ive currently got a test Pro account and am really happy with it except the fact it is based in the states and you sell in US dollars. Otherwise Smugmug is really good in my opinion.

Any help would be welcome.
    Cheers

Gear: Canon - 1D Mk IV, 400mm 2.8, 300mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 85mm 1.2, 16-35mm 2.8, 580EX IIx2, and more.
    Industry: Sports/Action Photography
    Publications: The Record (AFL Magazine QAFL) and Intensity Sports Magazine.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ausphotography site advertisers

Estyles

Australian Company offering website hosting for Ausphotography members, starting at a low $4.00 per month, build your own website and present your photos online.

www.onlinegalleries.com.au

Build your own photography website, using the onlinegalleries software, have your domain name registered and your galleries up and running, even sell photos, using the onlinegalleries system.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the only one that springs to mind other than the site advertisers Rick has posted about is redbubble, it gets fairly mixed reviews but it is Australian based, or was the last time I looked.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd vote against Rebubble because it's so awkward, IMO it's horrible. I use smugmug and Redbubble and I really don't enjoy updating my Redbubble.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omytion View Post
    I'd vote against Rebubble because it's so awkward, IMO it's horrible. I use smugmug and Redbubble and I really don't enjoy updating my Redbubble.
    I have to agree about redbubble. Closed my account ages ago. It started off as a great concept, where high quality work could be placed for sale, but then they added the communities, groups etc. They also originally planned to take the redbubble name out to home shows etc, and promote it to the general public as a way to get some great art for their walls. They did that really early on, and then no more.

They seem to have gone from being a great art sales website, with a wonderful business plan to being just another photography and art forum, which has sales of artwork as an extra. Much like AP (except we don't sell work). I think the initial business concept was much better for RB, than what it has ultimately become.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I have to agree about redbubble. Closed my account ages ago. It started off as a great concept, where high quality work could be placed for sale, but then they added the communities, groups etc. They also originally planned to take the redbubble name out to home shows etc, and promote it to the general public as a way to get some great art for their walls. They did that really early on, and then no more.
    I only joined RedBubble in 2008. I tend to be rather monogomous, in that I don't like to have multiple photographic gallery presences. I have a home base for my images.

I use RedBubble only to publish the images I consider saleable. While I had hoped to get involved in the community, etc., at first, as time has gone on I've decided to use it only as a sales channel. I maintain membership in a number of groups, but I don't get involved in the discussions or use BubbleMail.

For discussions, it's hard to beat AP. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Smugmug is the best by far, except the USD pricing and prints coming from the USA, altough, you can sell digital image downloads and clients can get the prints themselves.

I have tried several Aus based one's including the one's noted here and they do not have the same functionality and their databases seem much slower at the back end increasing load times considerably for the end user.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i love my smugmug account, been using pro now for a couple of years with quite a few sales. i use redbubble as a way to let people buy direct from austalian site on request. It is a pain to update and the interface is horrible but is a means to an end. You can use my personal coupon ( N7xfE9UERRKGU ) in the Coupon field of the signup form if you need a small discount.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never tried SmugMug, but it does appear to have some good features that other hosting sites don't.

For me, Flickr is home -- it's the first site I joined, and I have a lot of my work there, and have built up a community of friends and contacts; so I'm not looking to move.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys Ill take a look and see what I like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a 50% off coupon code for Smugmug let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I started earlier on in AP. my main photo community is now Flickr where I've developed a network around my favourite genres of geometry and abstractions.

I've recently been looking at the more sales-oriented sites. It seems Zenfolio has as many if not more advocates than Smugmug. Both seem offer 14 day free trials BTW.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200 f/4L USM | EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 II
    EF 25 II Extension Tube | Velbon Sherpa 250R tripod

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smugmug gets my vote too! I find it very simple and easy to use.
    Critique and comments welcomed on my images!

www.philrettkephotography.com
    http://www.flickr.com/philrettke

Canon EOS 5D MKII x 2 | Ef 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM | Ef 16-35mm f2.8L II | Ef 180mm f/3.5L macro | Ef 24-70mm f/2.8L | Adobe Photoshop CS3 extended | Digital Photo Professional | Photomatix Pro 3 | Adobe Lightroom 2.3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    redbubble seems to be one of the biggest

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at Redbubble earlier this evening and somehow came across an image of Camel Rock which I have recently photographed myself. The image was quite ordinary.

I did a serach for all Camel Rock images and I must say that I thought that the general standard of photos posted on that site is not what you would expect if these are photos for sale. If people can get money for those photos, I could make a fortune. Somehow, I think not.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    I was looking at Redbubble ...I did a serach for all Camel Rock images and I must say that I thought that the general standard of photos posted on that site is not what you would expect if these are photos for sale. If people can get money for those photos, I could make a fortune. Somehow, I think not.
    Ah, but the fact that RedBubble allows people to sell images doesn't mean they choose to (it's completely optional), or that they have material anyone would want to buy.

I have a smallish presence there, and only post my better work which would be likely to sell. For that reason, I don't post any portraits there, even though many of my best images are portraits.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    I have a smallish presence there, and only post my better work which would be likely to sell.
    I know your images are very appealing and should sell well, but is Redruble worth the effort?

Redrubble seems to be trying harder to orientate itself to communities and stuff like that, do many really go there to buy images? I gather what was a purpose built site may be having an identity issue.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know your images are very appealing and should sell well, but is Redruble worth the effort?
    I have sold a few things, but not for a while.

I don't do marketing, and in this day and age, getting people to actually pay for images is rather difficult indeed.

The advice I've read is that you've got to market yourself -- not on RedBubble itself, but elsewhere. I provide a "buy at RedBubble" link from my image pages if those images are on RB, but otherwise that's it.

Redrubble seems to be trying harder to orientate itself to communities and stuff like that, do many really go there to buy images? I gather what was a purpose built site may be having an identity issue.
    I'm not sure. I went there purely to sell images, and I keep a small presence there only as a sales channel; I have a few group memberships, but I eventually abandoned the idea of getting involved with the community.

Like most sites, it's becoming bigger and less personal.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the end I have gone with www.onlinepictureproof.com

So far so good. No hidden costs. No commission. $40 per month. 10GB room. Easy to load photos. Easy to view. Full setup and EXTREMELY easy to use.

Have a look at mine... took me an hour to set everything up how I wanted it. Just need to put on final touches as per usual. Only problem I have is gallery issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast