User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The difference of cheap and expensive cameras?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pgbphotographytas View Post
    Don't get caught up being a gear head, the photographer is much more important
    if only you followed your own advice Paulie ....
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day all

My 2-bob's worth to this debate ~ see my signature line ...
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference of cheap and expensive cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler

Please .... that could be the most ridiculous thing ive read on here in a while. Whilst I agree with you that the photographers skills are absolutely the most important factor in good photography, to suggest an iphone camera will produce the quality of a high resolution DSLR is ludicrous mate.

I dont doubt the work hes producing from his iphone is impressive, but I highly doubt the images themselves would compare with that a skilled photographer using a DSLR of any kind.

To the OP ... what kiwi said ^^^^ 1. togs skills 2. lens 3. body , as a general rule.
    Seen chase Jarvis's iPhone photo book ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Seen chase Jarvis's iPhone photo book ?

yep .. all very artistic and all that and looks great in lo res on the web (even the super blurry ones), but that wasnt really the point of my post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference of cheap and expensive cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler

yep .. all very artistic and all that and looks great in lo res on the web, but that wasnt really the point of my post
    It's more than the web, it's s published book. Iq is crap tho, lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea I just meant Ive only seen the web version, havent seen the book ... The pictures are great, but at the end of the day it is only an iphone. The ones taken in low light, are I suppose you could say, creatively "grainy"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this thread has certainly given me a lot to think about. I'm only just looking to get into dSLR photography, I don't currently have a camera and had fallen hard in love with the Pentax K7, but I'm thinking now it might be wiser to get a more basic second hand body, try and find some nice lenses and see what I can do with that first...

Thanks for asking the question George

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An aspect that some people forget ... physics!
    And the number one control of the physics of light is the lens.

Yes, you need someone with skill to make use of good glass and a good camera,
    but that skilled person can do much more with good gear than they can with an iPhone.
    They (the skilled person) may also be able to do more with an iPhone than a complete beginner
    with a DSLR with everything.

Back to basic physics/optics...
    The size of the lens (diameter of the objective) is critical to the ability to gather light.
    The quality of the lens and coatings have a huge bearing on image quality.
    Why does the diameter of the lens/mirror of a telescope matter so much?
    It's all about gathering light!
    Hence a 500/4 costs a bomb

@Lili ... There is lots of great glass to go with a Pentax K-7 or even a 2nd hand K200D, K20D, K10 and so forth.
    Not to mention the K-x as a budget body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alot of people even including myself believe the order of importance is the shooter, lens and then the body. but thats not to say that an upgrade to a newer 'better' camera body wont help.

i went from a d50 to a d700 which is extreme but it made a huge difference.

honestly though there are so many factors for different situations to make your photos better, so think about what you shoot most and buy accordingly. i like to shoot alot of candid and portrait type of shots mainly indoor, so i brought a fast lens and a flash. if i was to shoot landscape i would probably invest in a tripod and good wide angle. so many more combinations but with anything its only as good as the weakest link.
    Current:
    fx = d700, 24-70mm 2.8, 35-70mm 2.8
    dx = d50, 18-55mm kit, 50mm 1.8, 50-150mm 2.8 (sigma),
    flash = trusty sb600
    transporter = lowepro rega (fx), lowepro nova (dx)

Wishlist = 70-200mm VR II

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can defiantly say the noice control is far better on the 40D than the 400D, not sure how it rates agains the 1000D. I can say one thing though, when I bolted my L onto my mate 50D it took the lens to another hole new level. Have to agree a lot is within the glass, but the camera (I' taking Canon) will have some ration of effect.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a lot of people and particularly beginners the only difference between a cheap and expensive camera is the price.
    Last edited by etherial; 20-05-2010 at 8:42pm. Reason: typo
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, It's 5 months later now and I've upgraded from the 1000D to a 50D. I can say it has a better range between highlights and lowlights and a lot less noise in photos. I also noticed the 1000D had some weird problems with keeping detail in reds and oranges - especially in clouds at sunset. Haven't had a chance to compare the 50D in that situation yet, but I'm VERY happy I upgraded
    George

Canon 50D - Canon EF 50mm – F1.8 MK II, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro, Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM
    ---------------------------------------------
    Canon 1000D - Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS
    My DeviantART
    My Flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about it being the person first, then the lens and then the body as I have seen wonderful photos taken with a 350D entry level camera. But on the other hand after replacing my 400D with a 50D, the difference in the photos was amazing, especially with noise.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgegowan View Post
    Well, It's 5 months later now and I've upgraded from the 1000D to a 50D. I can say it has a better range between highlights and lowlights and a lot less noise in photos. I also noticed the 1000D had some weird problems with keeping detail in reds and oranges - especially in clouds at sunset. Haven't had a chance to compare the 50D in that situation yet, but I'm VERY happy I upgraded
    And there you go. The fact you understand the differences and noise and how it affects your photos shows that you learnt a lot from having the 1000D. You would also have acquired some creativity along the way, including an understanding of composition etc. Many people will buy a consumer level DSLR and never understand anything about highlights etc, it is only those that want to progress their photography and learn the limitations of their gear and how it affects the photos that will 'see' what you have done.

Upgrading is only worthwhile when there is a reason and understanding of what the upgrade will do to improve ones photography, that is caused by the restrictions and limitations of the current gear.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12