User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Q: Lighting for a Noob Portrait Shooter.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q: Lighting for a Noob Portrait Shooter.

Hi All,

If I were to consider a lighting rig for full body portrait photography (potentially incorporating full body shots) in a studio, what lighting gear (lighting and stands) would you recommend as a starter kit?

I'd essentially want to reproduce great skin tones and professional quality lighting at a comfortable price.

What's the minimum rig and what might I add to that to get something a bit better than min?
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the most basic level youll only need a plain wall, 2 x speedlights, and 2 x reflective umbrellas.

Reflective modifiers, as opposed to translucent ones which are more direct and "shapeable" (??), give much more of a light spread/spill/wraparound effect and are more suited to full body/broad light portraiture. Possibly a cheap set of triggers/receivers too if you wanna play with manual flash exposure and ratios.

IMHO , FORGET continuous lights. They usually run very hot, and models are most times very uncomfortable under them. Uncomfortable models, perspiration, and runny makeup makes for tough portrait photography. Flash is the way to go.

EDIT: Just re-read the OP ... if youre after something of good quality and affordable beyond speedlights, check out Alien Bees or Elinchrom D-Lites. You can get twin monobloc head kits for under $1000 including softboxes and stands. This FlashPro kit is also pretty decent for $1500. Three lights gives you a pretty standard key/fill/hair or rim light set up. Ive used these flashes and flogged the hell out of them. They are super reliable in my experience.
    Last edited by bigdazzler; 25-04-2010 at 11:39am.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely check out an octobox, for really soft, even lighting. Universal-fitting octoboxes can be had on eBay for around $100.

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Enduro

I am looking into something very close to your issue too ~ one of my huge deals is that it must be transportable which does affect things

I have been looking at these lights as a possibility - when I get home from my current lot of travels, I will eyeball them "in the flesh"...
    http://www.onlinelighting.com.au/pro...oducts_id=9804

It might help you - ends up as a matter of choice

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/