Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon D5000 - should I?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I liked the way the Hot shoe sits on top/ flat side and it's compact, the older versions it sits on the end which is unwieldy.
    Regards
    Kevin

Nikon D500 D7200. nikkor 200-500 f5.6, Tamron 100-400, Nikkor 70-200 f4 plus other glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevpride/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Nikon D5000 and am very happy with it.( Note I also own a D300 and D700.)
    It's a great camera for family shots. And, light and versitile.
    It seems you are already sold on it anyhow.
    Despite the Aussie dollar drop this past couple of weeks you should be able to get a good local price. Watch out on the internet prices as they have gone up in some cases.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphotos View Post
    I have a Nikon D5000 and am very happy with it.( Note I also own a D300 and D700.)
    It's a great camera for family shots. And, light and versitile.
    It seems you are already sold on it anyhow.
    Despite the Aussie dollar drop this past couple of weeks you should be able to get a good local price. Watch out on the internet prices as they have gone up in some cases.
    umm I have already purchased!!!
    but thanks anyway!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Nikon D90 and D5000

Both the D90 and D5000 are good choices. I don't own a D90 but it is well recommended and certainly most of your respondants favoured this option. From my point of view after lugging the D700 or D300 around, using the D5000 for family shots is sheer pleasure (particularly for little kids when you have to get down to their level). Ken Rockwell has said a similar thing about his old D40 but I am not sure if he has now upgraded.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as with anything, get the best you can afford. if you can afford the D90 get that , if not then the D5000.

neither will let you down and both can produce the same stunning images in the right hands.

ps, the d5000 is not a toy.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad I ended up getting the D90 for exactly the reasons pointed out to me.
    Ease of setting changes.
    I'm sure I would have quickly got sick of menu diving to do the same.
    The flip screen whilst yes it is a great feature and one I WAS used to would again have driven me nuts
    with the extremely slow focus in live view which I have now witnessed first hand.
    A slug compared to the old Fuji S100fs that I was using before, so again I would have been disappointed
    if I had gone down the D5000 path.
    The one thing that would be fantastic is the silent shutter mode from the D5000, which would be great
    for those sleeping baby shots, but hey get them drunk on milk and they wake up for nothing! LOL

Couple of upgrades and the D90X (or whatever) may have a super fast live view focus with flip screen and a silent shutter mode, then I'll upgrade!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12