Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 2 camera tripod plate

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 camera tripod plate

I had the thought when photographing the steam train with 2 cameras on 2 tripods how handy such a thing would be. So I searched and found Manfrotto make one - see here.

I don't suppose anyone has seen one in action - I can't quite work out how it attaches to the tripod.

It would be great to be able to pan the 2 cameras together on one tripod, and my heavy green tripod should be up to the weight.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't really say anything about attaching to a tripod. Maybe a clamp?

Why would you do this though out of curiosity? Different focal lengths?

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very easy to make or have made....... along some cork or rubber

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It attaches to a tripod via the middle hole, then you attach a camera to each of the side holes. You have a choice of 1/4" or 3/8" threads for the cameras. (You may need a thread adapter and it appears the tripod attachment is only 3/8".) If your tripod has only 1/4" thread then you'll need an adapter here too. (AFAICAS) Am.
    PS. It may be useful for stereo photography.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I would want to be able to swivel the whole shebang, and I can't see any way to do that. I want it so when I am on my own I can out the 2 cameras on it, lock the shutters open with the cable release, and track things like the steam train I shot a couple of days ago.

It was shooting that event that gave me the idea. I had the 2 tripods set up close together and was thinking 'how on earth am I going to track with them both?'. I'll keep working on it, there must be a way. Can you remove the plate mount from the top of a tripod head?

I have the one pictured below. I wouldn't wan to use the side to side tilt, but the forward/back tilt would be useful for slight adjustments and the tracking function would be vital.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it would be easy to make Odille. I reckon just a flat aluminium bar maybe 25mm wide and 6mm thick with all the holed drilled and tapped to suit.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odille. But wouldn't you just swivel (pan) the tripod? With the bar and 2 cameras mounted? Am?

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ameerat, the plate as it is seems to screw straight into the top of the tripod or monopod, so no swivel, tilt or anything. It actually replaces the head.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..... one of these http://www.adorama.com/BG0828.html attached to a leveling base http://photovideo.com.au/acratech-le...se-p-5966.html would do the job......

on looking again, you will still need a head with rotation, or one you can attach the bracket and the leveling base may not be needed.......

I have the above leveling base and it works a treat
    Last edited by Big Pix; 22-04-2010 at 10:35am.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odille, it will just mount to the quick release plate for your tripod, then mount onto your head as normal.

You then just pan the tripod head as you would any other time.

This Is what I would do -
    1 x flat aluminium bar 25 x 6 x required lenghth
    3 x 5/16 holes - 1 in the middle and one at each end
    1 x 1/4 whitworth nut, use to attach tripod plate to middle hole
    2 x 1/2 x 1/4 whitworth bolt, use to attach camera to outside holes.

Job done, a fraction of the cost, could have various length plates from the left over aluminium bar.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    ameerat, the plate as it is seems to screw straight into the top of the tripod or monopod, so no swivel, tilt or anything. It actually replaces the head.
    Odille. If you mean it replaces the whole shebang you showed in your image, then I understand your point. I thought that it would attach to the very top of your tripod, leaving all tilt-pan actions intact. I have done just the same using a wooden board to attach a camera and small tracking telescope to my equatorial mount. Once aligned, they moved together. Am.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS Can't you screw it to the top of the "shebang"?

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MarkChap, that is just what I want, but I have no tools, I'll have to get someone to do it for me.

I do nave a couple of Manfrotto plates, maybe as ameerat says, I could just use a board or as you say a piece of flat steel or aluminium and attach a Manfrotto plate to the bottom of it. Hhmm, thinking cap on, waiting for illumination.

Bix Pix, I like the look of the levelling head, but it will have to wait a bit financially.