I need help and I hope someone out there can give me a hand. I have been getting out and about with my 450D - mostly practicing landscapes and general photos but for some reason I keep over exposing the skyline.

I have been trying different settings in both manual and Av mode but the sky always seems blown out, in particular on days when it is overcast with light coloured clouds - such as yesterday when I was down south in the Nannup area WA was the Quit Forrest Rally. I was walking around the town just taking general photos but I just couldn't get the sky right. I have also tried to use + - EV as well. I have also tried changing the metering from eluvative to partial but that didn't seem to work either.

I have attached an example (unfortunately it seems overexposed all over ) but you can see what I mean.

I tried a UV filter and a CP filter but they don't seem to work (maybe its because they are cheapies from EBay ) but I hope someone can point me in a direction of what I may be doing wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Karl