0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arts freedom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I agree with what they have to say and support them in full, I find it a bit unprofessional that their website has not been finished or updated since 2007.....

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    I find it a bit unprofessional that their website has not been finished or updated since 2007.....
    ...... must admit that I did miss that bit......

I got the link from an L&P update...... so it looks like L&P are also not up to date

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pix View Post
    ...... must admit that I did miss that bit......

I got the link from an L&P update...... so it looks like L&P are also not up to date
    The "How Can You Help", "Join Us", "Related Links" and "Contact Us" pages are "Still Under Construction".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, before you start throwing the word unprofessional around - its a voluntary thing !

Seriously, people like Ken should be applauded not labelled as unprofessional. Good grief. Its efforts by those prepared to stand up, spend some of their own time, and their own money to make these things happen, and they will benefit everyone interested in photography.

Perhaps put your hand up and throw in your support. If someone wants to help finish the site - by all means put your efforts to good use, and volunteer some assistance.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    Hey guys, before you start throwing the word unprofessional around - its a voluntary thing !

Seriously, people like Ken should be applauded not labelled as unprofessional. Good grief. Its efforts by those prepared to stand up, spend some of their own time, and their own money to make these things happen, and they will benefit everyone interested in photography.

Perhaps put your hand up and throw in your support. If someone wants to help finish the site - by all means put your efforts to good use, and volunteer some assistance.
    Yes it maybe voluntary, but it also looks like the cause has been dropped. I never said that Ken Duncan is unprofessional. Is the website run by him?
    Last edited by hoffy; 17-04-2010 at 6:26pm. Reason: Calmed down, re-read my comments and thought better of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well as I'm one of those who tend to be pedantic, you actually said this:

Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    While I agree with what they have to say and support them in full, I find it a bit unprofessional that their website has not been finished or updated since 2007.....

However, I do empathise with the tone of your comment.

Anyway to answer your question - Arts Freedom consists of a board, and they are Ken Duncan, Glen McKimmin, David Simmonds, Nick Rains, and Bruce Pottinger

No the cause is not dropped - its one of those things that goes on continually.

I would be the first to say that its a shame that the website is not up to date, and that updated information on just how often he and his group try to lobby federal and state governments. But I for one am grateful for someone to shout out about this topic.

I was serious though, if someone would like to offer some assistance to Ken to update that website and make it easy to update in the future, I would be happy to pass the offer on to him.
    Last edited by Longshots; 17-04-2010 at 6:37pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Longshots, this suggest you know something about it. Clarify the situation for us. I Read the intervening post.

I do think it is unprofessional to get people fired up and then leave it dead for 2 years. You take it on, you follow it through or you close it down.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, the website hasnt been updated. The lobbying is still going on. The problems are getting worse. Yes I know something about it because I'm involved in various other issues. You all could be involved in producing something positive for the photographic industry as well. And yes, a good friend and colleague is Nick Rains, who spends a great deal of his time trying to do the right thing. Seems most of the comments have all been negative about the website as opposed to acknowledging that there are concerned people prepared to do something that benefits everyone.

And regarding the comment crossed out - to ensure I posted correct information, I gathered the information about who is involved in this from the website that you're all concerned about.

Come on people, try and look at the actual issue as opposed to griping about a website thats not had an update for a while.

Good god my website badly needs an update, doesnt mean to say I've stopped working

And why havent I got around to it ? Because I care about issues that effect the photographic community and place a great deal of effort into particular issues like fairness in photographic competitions. Why not look on the bright side and look at the information that can be gained from the website. I dont blame people sometimes for asking why so few people are prepared to stand up for particular issues that concern all in the photographic community.
    Last edited by Longshots; 18-04-2010 at 1:11pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, the website hasnt been updated. The lobbying is still going on. The problems are getting worse. Yes I know something about it because I'm involved in various other issues. You all could be involved in producing something positive for the photographic industry as well. And yes, a good friend and colleague is Nick Rains, who spends a great deal of his time trying to do the right thing. Seems most of the comments have all been negative about the website as opposed to acknowledging that there are concerned people prepared to do something that benefits everyone.

And regarding the comment crossed out - to ensure I posted correct information, I gathered the information about who is involved in this from the website that you're all concerned about.

Come on people, try and look at the actual issue as opposed to griping about a website thats not had an update for a while.

Good god my website badly needs an update, doesnt mean to say I've stopped working
    Hi Longshot, I crossed out the comment because I realised you had already provided an answer before I asked the question (I edited my post and thought it would be clearer for anyone who had read the original - obviously not).

I think the issues that are raised are very worrying - and part of a worldwide trend.

I looked at Arts Freedom site some 12 months ago, and then again last night and nothing has changed. I am really pleased your friends are continuing to work at the issues, but "publically" it looks like nothing is happening, and certainly legislation and attitudes don't seem any better. I realise that getting things done takes time and resources and some stuff just slips. However, in my experience, unless you pay for expensive lobbying, public silence does not get you far. Surely someone can find a few hours to at least fix the news on the front page to let the world know the state of play in Australia. I look at quite a few photogrphy/copyright/law websites elsewhere that have ongoing discussion and regular updates. But seems to be very little discussion in Australia.

It is difficult to acknowledge that there are concerned people doing things when their only public website is silent. It is great to hear that they are doing thing - but it shouldn't take your post on Ausphotography to achieve it. (Before you ask, it is not appropriate for me to stick my hand up and say I'll help - I have no legal training, am not a professional photographer and don't know anyone relevant, and my wife would kill me if I took on anything else anyway.)

Please take this as supportive feedback. I think as a group, we are quite apathetic about our freedoms being taken away and we don't do anything about it - it's great to see someone have a go. To some expect, my sour grapes are based on disappointment that there is not more apparent progress. But people who launch out to rectify this need to make it easier for people to follow the issues, join in and help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its of any help then, I will be passing the comments on

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I really support the aims of Arts Freedom and want them to at least get the issues talked about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd add in a new update on the Arts Freedom topic. New information gained from their new Facebook site - link is below:

"Photography in Australia is under attack and photographers are losing their rights to freedom of expression. If you feel you're being treated like a criminal, a predator or a terrorist, here's your chance to have your say.

Join Ken Duncan and some of Australia's leading photographers at this Arts Freedom Australia Protest Rally to demand fair access for all to iconic public locations like Sydney Harbour, Bondi Beach and Uluru.

Sunday, August 29th
    Campbells Cove, Sydney Harbour
    10am-12pm

Come along with your camera and tripod to fight for our rights and demand an end to the growing number of unjust rules and regulations which are making our passion for photography increasingly difficult.

Whether you're a full-time or part-time professional or strictly amateur, this issue affects EVERYONE. More importantly, this rally is also for everyone who values visual imagery - not just photographers.

Please help us to spread the word of this extremely important event so it's a huge success.

For all enquiries phone (02) 4307 8409.

If we all raise our voices loud enough, we will be heard!"
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/e...10775112290905

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would they start yet another site in the form of facebook (which has a terrible history towards photographers) when they have an existing site sitting "idle".

Don't get me wrong, I support their ideals --- but --- as far as disseminating information to the public to raise awareness they appear to be doing a thoroughly unprofessional job.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sigh - and I'm sighine because I'm simply spreading the word on this issue.

If you think its so unprofessional take it up with them.

Personally I know they're doing something which everyone interested in photography, will gain from, which is highly likely to be more than you're doing ?
    Last edited by Longshots; 21-04-2010 at 11:22am.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sigh - take it up with them - personally I think they're doing something which is likely to be more than you're doing ?
    Quite frankly I think that is a very cheap shot longshots, I have looked at that site many times and given due consideration to supporting -- but -- when the "contact us", "join us" or "further info" pages are all "under construction" for over 2 years.

As for taking it up with them as you so eloquently put it, attempting to communicate by that portal is fruitless and you are the one that has their direct ear.

The arts freedom site has probably had quite a few hits since the start of this thread, how many people had a look and went away due to a total lack of information.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To pull down a site or put it into 'archive' mode takes but 30 minutes.

Archive mode is were you add a banner or text that says:
    We are not maintaining this site, we feel we can better address the issues by ... bla bla ... please go 'here'
    where in this case 'here' is facebook.

That way people know you still actually give a rats about the issue. That 30 minutes of effort pays big dividends.

On a broader note. Does AP care? you bet!
    If we can help lobby etc. we will promote that to our members.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it cheap ?

Seriously, these people put their own energy and money into doing a great deal of work. Calling it unprofessional is simply not on.

I dont have their direct ear. I read Facebook, thats how I found out about it.

I come in and give you more information, which btw was more than anything else available and all you seem to have done is complain about it being unprofessional.

I see life in general as you get out of it what you put in. It doesnt take any effort to sit on the sidelines and jeer. Perhaps applaud those who are making some effort - like myself to fight and lobby large organisations in making the art of photography easier for everyone and not harder.

I dont have the energy to dispute your personal views, which of course you're welcome to. But if you think it was a cheap shot to ask what you're doing for the community, thats your affair not mine. It was a genuine question which I'll ask again, what are you doing ?

When you do have an opportunity to do something for everyone, and you've placed a large amount of personal effort, you'd understand that making the comment that something is unprofessional would quite easily be seen as far worse than a cheap shot.

Anyway, I'm quite sure that the majority of the members here would be far more interested in the opportunity of reading the information I've posted here on Arts Freedom, which is available to all if you do a google search, instead of counter productive arguments of your personal opinion on the level of what is professional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    To pull down a site or put it into 'archive' mode takes but 30 minutes.

Archive mode is were you add a banner or text that says:
    where in this case 'here' is facebook.

That way people know you still actually give a rats about the issue. That 30 minutes of effort pays big dividends.

On a broader note. Does AP care? you bet!
    If we can help lobby etc. we will promote that to our members.

As I said before Kym, seriously if you can help (as this isnt something I know about - and I'm pretty sure that the few who already spend a great deal of time lobbying Fed and State Govs, wouldnt know how to do something so simple), then please, I would be only too happy to pass on any offer of assistance.

That would be really helpful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So has anyone actually bothered to check to see the - totally coincidental - update and change to the site.

http://www.artsfreedomaustralia.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast