Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 70-200 f4 is / 70-200 2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re lens

Depends on your use for the lens purchased. I bought the F2.8 non IS.

Its a heavy lens,but SHARP!,nobody has mentioned BOKEH,and this is where is lens

really shines,I use like to use it around sunset for portait/people work,I have never had

issues with blurry-ness,

I would say if I was on the move a bit more,ie travelling etc,I'd get the F4 version

regards Chris
    Canon 50D and 450D - Canon 10-22 F3.5-5.6, 17-55 F2.8 L, 70-200 F2.8 L, 400 prime F5.6 L, 60mm F2.8 macro, EX 430 Flash,and all sorts of other bits and pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not L glass, but it might be worth holding off and waiting to see what Sigma's new 70-200 OS version is like, I've compared some of my shots with my Sigma and a Canon 2.8 IS that I hired for a weekend, and sure, the Canon was a bit sharper at 2.8, but it was really only noticeable when zooming in 100%, but from 3.5 they were pretty much on par.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from someone who shoots people for a living (with the camera of course ).. I'd recommend to go with the 70-200 f/2.8 (IS) as swell, this is the perfect portrait zoom lens due to the faster aperture (eg. shallow DOF) you can achieve..

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NGP View Post
    from someone who shoots people for a living (with the camera of course ).. I'd recommend to go with the 70-200 f/2.8 (IS) as swell, this is the perfect portrait zoom lens due to the faster aperture (eg. shallow DOF) you can achieve..
    Thank you. I think I have decided to save a few more pennies and get the 2.8 IS as my hubby doesn't seem to mind me spending that much on one lens. I do a bit of people photography at work when requested, so it would be utilised for sure.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma Prices Posted

Hi,
    Dirt Cheap Cameras and DigiDirect have both posted prices in the low $1800 range for the new Sigma 70-200 OS. I rang them and was told a few weeks until stock arrives but will believe it when I see them on the shelves. CR Kennedy is still saying June for Canon and Nikon mount versions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After owning 3 of the 4 L variants in this focal range, the 2.8 IS is the only one i now still have.
    If you want to save money just get the f4 version, not worth the price hike for IS imo.
    But as it now seems you're leanings towards the best version (albeit the Mk II). This will give you the versatility to do it all including action, portraits etc.
    I'ld even upgrade mine to the Mk II version when prices drop from the ridiculous new premium.
    Canon User

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtom1 View Post
    f4 IS is probably a bit sharper
    Except at f/2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also decided on the f4 IS.
    Just need to find a well priced one now. 2nd hand will be fine for these beauties..
    Canon EOS 400D (aka. Rebel XTi / KISS Digital X)
    EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II (Kit lens)
    EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 II (Kit lens)
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Kenko extension tubes

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm not a Canon owner but if the Photozone tests on full frame and cropped sensor cameras are anything to go by ( I reckon they are ) the new version of the 2.8 is the ants pants. Get the credit card out boys and girls.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exmrblonde View Post
    I've also decided on the f4 IS.
    Just need to find a well priced one now. 2nd hand will be fine for these beauties..
    Good luck with finding it - it is a good lens.

Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Well, I'm not a Canon owner but if the Photozone tests on full frame and cropped sensor cameras are anything to go by ( I reckon they are ) the new version of the 2.8 is the ants pants. Get the credit card out boys and girls.
    Yes indeed - my credit card is certainly calling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've just been on the hunt for a 2nd hand Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS lens. Couldn't find anyone wanting to give one up.

So I went and bought a brand new Sigma 2.8. It's not IS -cause I can't wait that long

However, one thing I noticed in all of these threads is people saying that the f4 is not as shallow as the 2.8. That maybe so, but you can still set your 2.8 @ f4

By purchasing the 2.8 you are giving yourself more options. And adding a IS into the mix, gives you even more.

And the weight is really not that much. The sigma I own is 1.5 kg and I can hand hold it for a quite a while - I rented a canon one which is the same weight and ran up and down a football ground sideline with it for the whole match. I left my monopod too near the sydney football team and they chucked it under their water table for the match! So I had no choice - and I was fine.

And I don't even have big muscles!

I think if you can, go for the 2.8 IS and if you can hold out for a couple of months - go for the Sigma - there is not much difference at all from the Canon - especially on the crop sensors.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    Well, I've just been on the hunt for a 2nd hand Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS lens. Couldn't find anyone wanting to give one up.

So I went and bought a brand new Sigma 2.8. It's not IS -cause I can't wait that long

However, one thing I noticed in all of these threads is people saying that the f4 is not as shallow as the 2.8. That maybe so, but you can still set your 2.8 @ f4

By purchasing the 2.8 you are giving yourself more options. And adding a IS into the mix, gives you even more.

And the weight is really not that much. The sigma I own is 1.5 kg and I can hand hold it for a quite a while - I rented a canon one which is the same weight and ran up and down a football ground sideline with it for the whole match. I left my monopod too near the sydney football team and they chucked it under their water table for the match! So I had no choice - and I was fine.

And I don't even have big muscles!

I think if you can, go for the 2.8 IS and if you can hold out for a couple of months - go for the Sigma - there is not much difference at all from the Canon - especially on the crop sensors.
    Some good points Emma - I too don't have muscles, but can imagine I would hand hold at times.

Thanks for making comment, I found your information useful. Fortunately I can and prepared to wait for the 2.8 IS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Good luck with finding it - it is a good lens.
    I'll need it now - as you can see, the post count hasn't been too great for the amount of time I've been registered, so I'll no longer be counting on finding one here...

I WILL find one though - the household Financial Controller has finally signed off on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exmrblonde View Post
    I'll need it now - as you can see, the post count hasn't been too great for the amount of time I've been registered, so I'll no longer be counting on finding one here...

I WILL find one though - the household Financial Controller has finally signed off on it.
    When I was looking at this lens, second hand ones were still fetching good money, usually only $200-300 less than a new one "grey import", personally I'd rather spend the extra and buy new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Shelly,

If you are interested in bird photography, may I recommend you check out the 100-400L IS. I am sure you will already have other lenses that are great for portraits, but I sold my 70-200 f4 IS as I found it was rarely suitable for bird photography (the birds didn't like me climbing a ladder to get close enough). If you have a look at my nankeen kestrel thread, you will see what you can do with the 400mm. If you are using a crop camera, that is even bigger, and it works really well hand held. Cheers, Glenys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12