Thread: Guys help me out - which lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys help me out - which lens

Good Day People,

This is my second post after the introduction one

I will be travelling to my parents place in the next couple of months for a family fucntion ( Long story cut short, the function is sort of like a wedding), which will be indoors. I have got Sigma 18-200 OS, Canon kit lens, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 580 EX2 & the body is 400 D.

The question, is this gear gonna be suficent ? Should I consider any other lens ? At this stage, I dont want to dig in too much for a lens. I was considering a second hand 24-70 L f 2.8, but then cost was the issues. If I do need to get any lens, the max I can spend is $500 + or - 50. I have seen 85 f1.8 for sale (seond hand) around, but do i need it ? ( considering the whole affair is going to be indoors with family around) and would it be different to 50mm f1.8; i mean if i conver the 50 to 85mm by taking few steps, wouldnt that be same ?

Your advise is much appreciated.

Cheers.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changing lenses is a pain. You lose a lot of time and may miss *that* shot.

So I'd be using the Sigma 18-200 OS maybe with a decent flash.
    Wide enough for group shots (and you can zoom with your feet) and long enough for candids at a family event.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't wanna shoot indoor with a slow Sigma 18-200! Using a flash makes it even worse in my opinion.

Look for a affordable Tamron 17-50 2.8 It offers enough wide angle and is fast enough in low light situations like indoor shooting.

Your 50mm is fine but I think it is too much for indoor. I use indoor in low light an EF 35 2.0 which is also very affordable but not as flexible as a zoom.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup what kym said... unless you can get another camera going too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lighthunter View Post
    You don't wanna shoot indoor with a slow Sigma 18-200! Using a flash makes it even worse in my opinion.

Look for a affordable Tamron 17-50 2.8 It offers enough wide angle and is fast enough in low light situations like indoor shooting.

Your 50mm is fine but I think it is too much for indoor. I use indoor in low light an EF 35 2.0 which is also very affordable but not as flexible as a zoom.
    He can shoot manual and bounce a flash off the ceiling though plus with the flash on board he will get focus assit if he needs it, don't see the problem?

f2.8 on a 400D, probably still wouldn't be fast enough if it was kind of dark inside anyway. I'm not sure how great the ISO is on the 400D but it couldn't be better than the 450D I had.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given it's indoors and you already have an excellent flash in the 580EX2, I would use the 580EX2 plus 18-200. I don't think even f/1.8 will be enough with a 400D to get a fast enough shutter speed at an acceptable level of noise (I think you'd be needing ISO800 or 1600, which is pretty unuseable with a 400D).

It is important to learn how to make best use of your flash, ie practice bouncing it off the ceiling and wall behind you. A diffuser can also be useful if you have no option but to aim the flash directly at the subjects. Results with flash can be perfectly good, though clearly natural light is best where available. Poor use of flash will result in poor pictures, so lots of practice before the event will pay dividends.
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Heaps guys, but please keep the suggestion coming through.

In regards to bouncing the flash, the place will have high ceiling and it will be dark in colour ( so will the wall colours be too). May be diffuser might help or may be not - I am not sure, never used a diffuser before.

From suggestions, am I to wipe off the idea of getting a lens ?

cheers.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use a little of the money to get a wireless trigger and umbrella then mount the flash on a tripod with umbrella then use the 18-200 and/or the 50 with the onboard flash with a piece of plastic milk carton taped over the front to diffuse it.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    use the 18-200 and/or the 50 with the onboard flash with a piece of plastic milk carton taped over the front to diffuse it.
    New here at the forums.
    Could you give a little more into about the piece of milk carton, do you mean to tape it onto the camera with the flash popped up.?
    Cheers Michelle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say you have a 50mm 1.8. Why not just use that inside and save your money.
    Cheers Peter
    Canon 7D...Canon 40D...Canon 24-70L 2.8...Canon 70-200L 2.8...Canon 17-85...Canon 50mm...Speedlights....Tripods...Filters... Battery grips.... And heaps of other stuff

There are always two people in every picture.. the photographer and the viewer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about renting a lens, if this sounds like an option, you could try these guys,http://www.brisbanecamerahire.com.au
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again people.

Tripod and umbrella is not even an option for me As I am travelling overseas for the function, I would not be able to carry my tripod or any other heavy accessories.

I was considering a second hand Tammy 24-75 (i think) f 2.8, but then I am not sure. Should I be content with my current gear, save up and get a L lens sometime down the track ? Am I thinking too much ??

Getting close to "totally confused" stage...

Anyways, keeps your thoughts coming through.

Thanks again.
    Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use your 18-200, use your flash, get a diffuser (larger the better) and spend time practicing rather than stressing about a new lens
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW Inside the 18-200 at the 120-200mm end will give you 'up close and personal' candids (full face or head and shoulders) at the other side of the room.
    You flash should still have range as well.

As I said above, changing lenses is not a good idea at these sort of events, you start missing shots.

So thinking one rig to cover the majority of shots at this sort of event is the 18-200 + flash.

Just do the check list before you leave home (charged batteries, memory cards etc.)

Edit: (Thanks Kiwi) DIY Gary Fong diffuser

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all again.

I am convinced to stay with 18-200 and flash. May be I will get a diffuser, the one that clips on to the 580.

And yes, I will be practicing a lot.

Thanks again.