Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens for Real Estate Photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lens for Real Estate Photos

Hi guys, just looking for some advice on the gear I'd need for RE photos. I've got the 7D, and planning to get a 550EX2 in 4 weeks time. Would the 10-22mm be enough for the indoor shots, or do people in this field usually use a Tilt-Shift lens? No idea how bad the distortion would be at 16mm in a small room.

Probably a dumb question, but thought I'd ask. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Darchangel (aka Pete)
    Please CC my images.

"Before judging a man, always walk a mile in his shoes. That way when you judge him you're a mile away, and you have his shoes"

Canon 7D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-300 f/4.5-5.6, Visatech Solo monoblocks

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Canon 10-22 would be a good lens to use and give ample room for those shots where you need to get as much in as possible. Sometimes you will need to apply some perspective correction though. You could opt for a tilt and shift lens but these do cost serious $$$.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try with a fish lens? or maybe wide lens+fish eye photoshop..
    D90|Sigma 105 mm 105mm F2.8 EX DG|Nikon 18-105mm VR F3.5-5.6 VR|Nikon 50mm F1.8G| 70-300mm F4-5.6G|Nikon 70-200mm VRII|Tokina 11-16mm

Nikon SB900|Cokin P filter GND kit|Manfrotto 055XPROB|Manfrotto 808RC4

Flickr||Deviantart

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lens for Real Estate Photos

Actually, the fish-eye effect, or barrel distortion is what I need to avoid. I could potentially use a fish-eye and then remove the distortion in post, but that's a pain in the bum to do for numerous images.

Think I'll give the 10-22 a go, per Wideangle's advice (apt name )

Cheers.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do agents really expect photos to look like the subject - somehow I don't think so

Your 10-22 is just fine.

Once you get below 20 you are going to get barrel distortion, thats just simple physics. Correct this in your post processing. With the money you save from not buying a Tilt Shift you can then go a splurge on Photoshop or even a dedicated barrel distortion programme such as PTLens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This link may be of some help - http://www.flickr.com/groups/861317@N24/ and I agree the 10-22mm does the job.

As a retired real estate agent I think these photographers go a little overboard in tinkering with the photographs - been my experience that a lot of folks buy a property then proceed to do their own thing with it, there is nothing like physically inspecting a property. However, looking at the photographs online does sort the chaff from the wheat.
    Cheers,
    Trish
    Canon 5D11 - various lenses, mostly primes.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Wideangle and MarkW - the 10-22 is fine and the PTLens is a great simple/easy tool to remove any barrel distortion.
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to do some research for a friend in this field, I ended up going to a few camera shops and they settled on a Sigma 10-20mm lens, so I think your 10-22 will be perfect for it.
    Andrew.
    comments and criticisms are always appreciated.
    Unless I post into the "NOT FOR CRITIQUE" section then the above doesn't apply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the 10-22mm - Great quality lens for the price.
    Canon EOS450D+battery grip, 16GB SD, EF-S 18-200mm IS, EF-S 10-22mm, EF50mm1.8II, 2x Manfrotto tripods, LowePro Flipside 300

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Darchangel, I took some quick photos with the 10-22 of our house which is on the market now (Link Here) (Real Estate agent in panic mode) and apart from some small distortions which I didn't have time to PS, I think they're good enough for the job... After all, the potential clients will be looking at the features rather than the lines. (However, better if you have the time to correct large distortions)

BTW, the first photo on the webpage with the date/time was taken by the agent.

After looking at the originals, I did PS some of the distortions ... sorry, my mistake.
    Last edited by Crazy Horse; 05-04-2010 at 10:31pm. Reason: Checked original images after posting...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Do agents really expect photos to look like the subject - somehow I don't think so

Your 10-22 is just fine.

Once you get below 20 you are going to get barrel distortion, thats just simple physics. Correct this in your post processing. With the money you save from not buying a Tilt Shift you can then go a splurge on Photoshop or even a dedicated barrel distortion programme such as PTLens.
    +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I have done lots of Real Estate photography and have as my main lens the tokina 11-16 on my D90, it is excellent. Being that wide you will always have some distortion but it's a fabulous lens for internal shots. I tried a number of lenses prior to purchase and this really stood out a the top of the bunch including nikons 12-24. Just my 2 bob's worth.

cheers

John

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lens for Real Estate Photos

Thanks for the replies guys. I was looking at the 10-22mm for landscapes down the track anyway, so will pick one up and give it a go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used my 11-16mm for real estate photography, absolutely brilliant and not too much distortion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to shoot on my 12-24. 17 or 19mm with dxeffect. Well wide enough, you dont want any lens that is distorted.
    Set apeture priority at 11, nice solid tripod. make sure your horizontals are right.
    point the flash at the ceiling and bracket 3 shots either side usually 1/2 stop steps with possibly a 3 stop one inorder to get skys outside windows nice and blue.
    If there are objects against the window do a shot on exposure, with the flash directly toward the window.
    Shoot with lamps on and off, so they can be on without casting a light on the walls.
    Dont forget the self timer- it will get you out of trouble when you cant get yourself out of reflections.

Look through a Mcgrath catalogue, the photos look weird, oversturated colours and blue skys with bright interiors.
    If you are shooting proffesionally, you wont have to do the post. There is a team of retouchers to do it, they usually give you good feedback on your shots too.
    As for perspective correction, thats is usually all in post too, there is little time for it on the job. You have usually spent all your time moving furniture for the interiors.
    enjoy!
    Togs are what my son wears to go swimming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what about the 16-35 2.8 L incase u upgrade later down the track try and save some $$$ incase u go to full frame?
    |Gear|Canon 5D MkII + Grip |Canon 7D + Grip |Canon 580EXII x 3|Canon EF Fisheye 15mm F/2.8 |Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L Mk II | |Canon EF 400mm F/5.6L |Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS |Canon EF 24-105mm F/4 L IS |Canon EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro |Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 MK II |Sekonic L-358 Lightmeter |Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod + 322RC2 Head |Manfrotto 628B Monopod | Wireless Remote Flash Trigger PT-04 CN & 5 Receivers| Plus Too Much More (Filters Ect)
    Chris | http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119829358036800 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisprendergast |

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisprendergast View Post
    what about the 16-35 2.8 L incase u upgrade later down the track try and save some $$$ incase u go to full frame?
    A FF cam down the track might be good if you need your photos to be wider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a 7D and a 10-22 and yes at 10mm it has some barrel distortion... bets to keep it above 12mm, and worst case take 2 shots and stitch them together... or use your 24-70 in portarit, over shoot and stitch together... if shot right it could work much better...

so to make sure they are good for stitching... do the following...

A set the exposure manulally for the 2 shots (makes the stich easier to blend)
    B turn the camera 90 deg and take 3 - 4 shots of the room making sure there is plenty of over lap...
    C stitch them together in PS or DPP or some free stuff off the web...
    D resize

when i say over shoot i mean make sure you have loots of room top and bottom and left andd right in the mix of photos so that you can crop a good sized result...

if you want ill post up a series of shots with both 10-22 and the method above... of my bathroom (as its quite tiny in there...

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if u wanted really wide u could go 5dmkII and canon 14mm L lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt use a 16-35 L for any real estate work due to distortion, or the 17-40 etc

Ideally, a 14mm L or the 17mm TSE

cheapest solution is the Sigma 12-24 - its a rectilinear lens and shot from 14mm onwards for rectlinear vision, and is very good if u dont plan to do this everyday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast