Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whimberley, Jobu, Mongoose???

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Didn't realise it was against the site rules to offer other alternatives. The attitude coming through in some of the posts here is not all that nice.
    You're all for wanting us to critique photos, but hell no don't dare critique what somebody else suggests using as kit. Even if that might stop somebody making a large financial outlay to end up with a lump of very expensive alloy that doesn't do what's wanted or needed. Thats more important than saying "nice photo" or "the shadows could be lightened".

I'm a Mechanical Engineer - I critique machinery and equipment for a living and photographic gear is no different for any other machinery - this is what I do. I don't upload endless quanitities of meaningless photos waiting for somebody to tell me what I already know -to me that's pointless. These days I don't get anything out of this website other than an occassional laugh and a bit of a read, but I give back in terms of almost 40 years of engineering and photographic experience.

In saying this, I seem to be the round peg in the square hole - Rick if you don't like my attitude then say it to me, don't just make generalisations and I shall forthwith terminate my membership its no loss to me. As a public website I don't have to log on and the membership can do without whilst the benefit of looking is still there.

Back to Basics
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, I feel a certain obligation here to offer some independent observation on the way this thread has moved.

The original poster asked for advice on specific brands of heads, and has been duly given advice in one of the brands mentioned, as well as a couple of other suggestions that were not specifically mentioned. The fact they were not specifically mentioned could well be that mrDooba was not aware of the brands, or that he was being somewhat general and didn't feel the need to list every possible brand. In either case (or any other), it is somewhat irrelevant. There is no issue with people suggesting other brands (whether specifically asked for or not) if, in their experience, it does the same job and meets the needs of the people who use them. As mrDooba was not explicit in his requirements as to how exactly he would be using the head, there has to be a certain amount of generalisation.

You are free to discuss ("critique") the technical merits (or otherwise) based on your experience of using a particular brand of head, and in your case, your years of experience in an engineering field. It is expected however, that you do so in a civilised and respectful manner. Your manner of expressing your experience (and opinions, I might add) comes across in a very heavy-handed way. It may not be that this was your intent, but this is the result.

To all members: please consider your responses, and that not everyone will agree with your assessment of any given piece of equipment. Everyone is free to make their own decision on equipment choices without pressure.
    Cheryl B.

My Stuff... Canon 6D ~ Canon Speedlite 580EXII x 2 ~ Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ Canon 50mm f1.8 ~ Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6 ~ Canon 16-35mm ~ Canon 70-200mm f2.8 ~ Photoshop CC ~ Lightroom Classic CC

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps I was a little vague.....

I have a 300mm f2.8 and this year I will buy a 500mm f/4. I will also be upgrading to a bigger, more stable tripod only to be used with the 2 telephoto lenses. I shoot birds and whatever else catches my eye while I'm out with nature. Weight is not an issue as I am enormous and can always stop and rest if need be.
    I would love to hear other photographers' personal (be it good or bad) experience with a dedicated heavy duty head. I'm only familiar with the names (and pictures) of Whimberly, Jobu and Mongoose. If others know of different brands, makes or models your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to those who have already provided me with some personal preferences, being the heads you have selected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris,take Allann up on his offer,he let me have a play with it on a meet and I fell in love,the only reason I don`t have a Wimberley now is the cost,but it`s on the wishlist.
    Kev.
    C+C and Edits Welcome,just tell me what you did.
    Canon 50D,EF-S17-85mm,EF100mm F2.8 Macro,MT-24EX Flash.
    Sigma 150-500mm f5.6-6.3 DG.
    Photoshop Elements 7

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    You're all for wanting us to critique photos, but hell no don't dare critique what somebody else suggests using as kit. Even if that might stop somebody making a large financial outlay to end up with a lump of very expensive alloy that doesn't do what's wanted or needed. Thats more important than saying "nice photo" or "the shadows could be lightened".

I'm a Mechanical Engineer - I critique machinery and equipment for a living and photographic gear is no different for any other machinery - this is what I do. I don't upload endless quanitities of meaningless photos waiting for somebody to tell me what I already know -to me that's pointless. These days I don't get anything out of this website other than an occassional laugh and a bit of a read, but I give back in terms of almost 40 years of engineering and photographic experience.

In saying this, I seem to be the round peg in the square hole - Rick if you don't like my attitude then say it to me, don't just make generalisations and I shall forthwith terminate my membership its no loss to me. As a public website I don't have to log on and the membership can do without whilst the benefit of looking is still there.
    Mark, using the abbreviation of FFS is not offering critique of an item, it is a direct agitating reply to something another member said, it offers nothing to the thread but incite anger from the person it was directed at. If you wish to have your account removed, PM and I will do it!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - Other than the ones you mentioned, try here

http://www.kirkphoto.com/King-Cobra.html

or here

http://www.photo-shop-studio.com/eng...emClass2=BENRO

or here

http://www.custombrackets.com/Scripts/gimbals.asp

I regularly use Kirk gear and recommend their excellent quality. As for Benro I have a Benro tripod but have never been impressed by their ball head builds. You would really need to vieew this product before you buy. Benro is available from Photo Shop Studio in Sydney.

I have never used Custom brackets gear. It looks a bit light weight and a pain with my 500 as the lens switches are covered by the gimbal bracket. If its too light in build it will accentuate vibration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, using the abbreviation of FFS is not offering critique of an item, it is a direct agitating reply to something another member said, it offers nothing to the thread but incite anger from the person it was directed at. If you wish to have your account removed, PM and I will do it!
    Yea and thats after I've been accused of being over critical and attacking somebodies choice of gear. Maybe by that time I am getting agitated by another's accusations when in actual fact I provided an unemmotional assessment of a piece of kit. I don't care who owns it, what it costs, what brand it is etc etc. If its not the best choice I will say so.

I'm not going to change the way I write an assessment I give on mechanical bits, its unemotional, it deals in facts not fanatsy. If the gear is not up to the job or has a serious flaw to the way it is being used I will say so. We're not dealing with children here, they're adults - they should be able to accept a factual discussion on their equipment without somebody crying that I'm being too hard on an inanimate object (not them personally). If I'm wrong in an assessment, maybe because I don't know all the specifics, then I am happy to be educated and I will go and learn the new bit of info and how it makes a change. If this in turn makes it a great bit of kit then I will say so. I'm not biased, I just call a spade a spade. I don't make sugar coated statements cuase somebody might have purchsed gear thats really not up to it.

If you don't like this then you terminate my membership your call

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Seriously Mark, read the posts. YOU are the one that made the 'over critical' comment in post 10. The other member offered up his opinion, you questioned him and he answered your questions regarding the gear he suggested. Not once did he say anything about you being over critical.

All I want to do is point out that YOU are being a bit abrasive in the way your replied in post 19, and that it was not necessary. If you want to continue this argument, feel free, but there will come a point where I do remove your membership as you keep suggesting I should if I feel the need to. How about acting like an adult and accepting that your FFS statement was not necessary and childish in its own right?
    Last edited by ricktas; 14-04-2010 at 9:12pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously Mark, read the posts. YOU are the one that made the 'over critical' comment in post 10. The other member offered up his opinion, you questioned him and he answered your questions regarding the gear he suggested. Not once did he say anything about you being over critical.

All I want to do is point out that YOU are being a bit abrasive in the way your replied in post 19, and that it was not necessary. If you want to continue this argument, feel free, but there will come a point where I do remove your membership as you keep suggesting I should if I feel the need to. How about acting like an adult and accepting that your FFS statement was not necessary and childish in its own right?
    Fine what ever

I will no longer discuss this in public - if you want to pick apart my words then do so PM. From my POV I have no problem justifying what I have written.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MrDooba
    My recommendation of the Wimberley Head II has been supported by Allann and Satine (whose 400mm f2.8 lens is even heavier than the 600mm f4).
    I would certainly take up Allann's kind offer to road test your lens on the mount!!!!
    However, I would like to point out that there are scenarios (safari vehicles in Africa) where cheaper options (beanbags) are more practical. On some treks monopods are more convenient to lug than tripods (consider the Really Right Stuff MH-01 LR monopod head).

Last time I checked at Cameras Direct:
    Wimberley Head II $829
    P-30 Lens Plate $ 74 (300mm f2.8)
    P-40 Lens Plate $ 78 (500mm f4)

Hope this helps. Let us know what you end up choosing.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Babu. I think I'm leaning towards the whimberley.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are essentially only two ways to buy a head for long lenses:

Method 1: buy a Wimberley

Method 2: buy something else that seems to be practical and is a bit cheaper. Stuff around forever trying to make it work properly. Trade it in on another one, which also has its problems. Then throw all the other stuff away and buy a Wimberley.

Method 1 is cheaper and gives the best result faster.

You can buy them direct from the manufacturer: www.tripodhead.com
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Wimberley 2 and use on a gitzo tripod. Tried and true performers with experienced birders. I have used both a 300 and a 500 lens on the system and it performs beautifully.

Am unable to comment on other systems as I have not used them.

I do use the RRS BH55 ballhead for general purpose photography.

My RRS L- Bracket stays permanently on the camera with no issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12