User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nikon vs Canon vs Olympus Confusion?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get too hung up on one particular area of comparison between brands, noise is not the be all and end all of a good photo, think beyond that to the way one brand appears to have more appealing colours or how many of which brand that you hear about being repaired regularly. Start a database and spend time and then more time researching camera models / brands and then start checking the boxes in that database that are important to you.
    head down to your local camera store and look at and hold every camera you can, get on the net and read every review that you can. Spend plenty of time on AP and ask questions (as you are doing) because sooner or later someone will have the correct answer to your questions.

Research research research.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This response process is like Skype isn't it -where you answer the post you can see, only to find it totally out of order as others posts jump in in front-keeps you on your toes!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gabby View Post
    A friend at work told me also to check out this site called DPReview, which has so-called unbiased reviews ....
    the bias or otherwise may be apparent to some, but it's not overly obvious in their testing.

Noise can be a product of some many variables, it'd warrant a new thread topic of it's own.
    But needless to say that all digital cameras produce some noise, to a degree, but it may not be noticable.

The trick is to work out for yourself via some of the vast information available to you on how to compare apples to apples when it comes to digital photography.

One of the reasons people will recommend to you to go with brand X, Y or A becaus eit has lower noise ability is to simply improve the chances of getting higher quality images more often, and in more difficult(usually lower) light, or without the use of external lighting to get a decent exposure.

Noise can be everything, and it can also be nothing to worry about.

Easy way to see for yourself how noise can affect the camera of your choice, and how to compare cameras is via DPR.
    They have a system of comparative tests done on a simple website layout that allows you an easy way to reference about 4 or 5 cameras at once with respect to image quality.
    But!! Don't be fooled by the jpg image comparisons. What you want to compare is the ability of the cameras raw files with respect to noise(at least). If you think you may shoot with less and less reliance on flash or other fill light of some kind, then noise may be an important consideration for you.

Currently As Kiwi said with his reply on Nikon cameras.

The really important point tho is that the difference is pretty minimal for almost all non professional users.

Another site that usually verifies most of the tests made on DPR is DXOLabs, DXOMark database.

The idea is that this is a subjective, raw only, test procedure and if you really want the best quality from your images you want to be shooting raw, so knowing which sensor is better at minimising noise can help you to decide what camera is a long term prospect.

I may have mentioned before.. if i were in yoru situation, I'd be looking to a secondhand camera to begin with. (I've also now convinced a friend to do the same thing for herself.. simply because she's unsure of what it is she wants to do with photography).

There's no point in spending up big on a Nikon system, if you never venture past ISO200!

Get the best camera system to suit your current needs, with the important point of at the lowest possible cost. At least at the lowest possible cost(to you now) eliminates a high, or hard hitting loss factor if you decide that you want to change systems to <whatever other brand takes your fancy>

For my friend, we're going to look for a Nikon D80. She's more into portraits, so we're going to get her at least one dedicated portrait lens, which I'll get her to figure out what focal length, by using a portrait specific zoom lens(28-75mm). My guess is that she'll want the 35mm focal length for a crop(APS-C) body, but without her input, I have no idea on what her preference is. Once she's worked that preference out, then we'll get her a lens to suit(my guess is either a 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.4) for her portrait needs.
    I also recommended to her to get a consumer grade kit lens(18-105) for it, as well, as it'll suit 99% of her other needs, and then we'll analyse the lens usage data and work out if she'd benefit from using a more dedicated(but limited) fast aperture zoom lens too, or if she finds that she want to do more wide angled images and the lens is not wide enough, then we'll get her something wider in it's field of view.. etc, etc.

But the most important aspect I tried to drum into her head, is not to waste any money(yet) on getting a camera body that she may not need, or eventually want.. even in the immediate future.
    Her usage pattern, and other requirements will dictate whether she needs to spend more money on a better(featured) camera body.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D90, 18-105, 35/1.8, SB600 and you're set for a good while
    Thanks,
    Nam

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N*A*M View Post
    D90, 18-105, 35/1.8, SB600 and you're set for a good while
    What is the SB one-I gather it's not a 600mm telephoto which would cost much moola but be super expensive.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm unlikely to use over ISO 800 if I take my previous non-digital Pentax usage into account. Do you use something at ISO 3200 more than once a year? Wouldn't that take total dark cave type images?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I regularly use ISO3200 in a fairly dimly lit room, with camera values such as 1/60 and f/2.8.

SB600 is an external flash, and with a Nikon Dxx(where xx represents a number) the SB600(and higher numbered flashes) can be controlled wirelessly by the camera.(super cool feature to have up your sleeve).

You will(or can) be surprised at how handy it is to have ISO3200 up your sleeve with good results to show for it.
    ATM, and with my usage pattern, I'd reckon I'm unlikely to shoot beyond ISO12800 now..

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK-thanks all- I've learned so much from all this discourse and had fun at the same time!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I've taken your ideas and all the helpful information you've given to turn me from total digitalSLR ignorance to someone who at least partially understands the technology. I further researched and went to different stores getting the feel of the various cameras and found one camera salesman who really knew his stuff and allowed me to take shots using various lenses. (Most of the stores wouldn't even put a battery in let alone a memory card- it's like trying to sell a car without allowing buyers to turn it on and testdrive it) I have decided to go with the Canon 50D with the 18-200mm lens and add a 100mmF2.8 MACRO lens. I'll then save to grab a decent telephoto.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 18-200mm would be an anytime convenient lens that I could afford. Ultimately I'd like at least 300mm telephoto but my current mortgage doesn't permit that yet. The basic camera gear is expensive enough. Is home ownership really worth it????
    I would appreciate advice on best place to buy, Fried Chicken. I've checked EBay and the best price quide on the net as well as a couple of very expensive local camera shops on the southern Gold Coast and Tweed. There seems to be great bargains in Asia but I worry about the warranty if something goes wrong.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123